He's inexperienced. He's learning on the job. He has been dealt a poor hand with a demoralised and unbalanced squad lacking much quality. He is surrounded by equally inexperienced coaches at Championship first team level (bar Dibs).

Given all that I think he has done OK with the opportunity. He has a strong personality and an honesty in interviews that is rare. He has made mistakes - publicly dumping on Zimba and Davies was wrong - but the general tone when it comes to performance and the expectations of the club has been right. He also spent the best part of an hour with Zimba and with Davies the Monday after they were hooked going through the match tapes. However, there has been no indication he spends a similar amount of time and effort coaching and pushing the more senior squad members who have under performed!

He is certainly no tactical genius, but there has been a significant change in playing style (with the Mick formation) and more square pegs in square holes. I'm not convinced yet by his claims of a tighter defence (still leaky if not as leaky as under Mick) and the entire team is hamstrung by the absence or poor form of our top striker. I think he should be braver with some of his substitutions, but that may just be an ignorant fan wanting Colwill, Davies and Harries at the top of the pitch and a four at the back without knowing anything about fitness, training or the performance numbers.

I think the jury is still out.