+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Who On Here Has Been To Tel Aviv ?

Who On Here Has Been To Tel Aviv ?

I'm thinking there should be a fair few, who followed Wales there a few years ago. Anyway, I'm thinking of going September/October for a week, yes there are a few more security concerns than maybe your run of the mill destination, but the one thing that does concern me is the 'supposed' difficulty of getting in to the UAE with Israel on your passport. Anyone any experience of going to or any difficulty in entering the UAE having been to Israel?

Also interested in what those who went thought of it?

Thanks

First Team

Re: Who On Here Has Been To Tel Aviv ?

Been several times as I have family out there.
    It’s a vibrant and youthful place but expensive. The misleading attack warnings are a bit disconcerting at first but there is little real apparent threat in my utterly random and non expert opinion.
    Security on departure from the UK and on arrival can be heavy handed and those who do it are not employed for their charm or eagerness to please.
    However, despite all this it is worth a visit both for its social scene and for an overall experience that differs from most places.
    Obviously some will have issues with the state of Israel and tbh if you fall into that category there is nothing there that will change your mind as the local Jewish population are quite defensive, so political arguments are best avoided.
    With regard to the passport issue I used to ask them not to stamp my passport and they used to hand me a stamped headed notepaper that was stapled into my passport which I removed once back home.
    It has been a few years since I have visited so you may wish to google the current position with that as I may be woefully out of date with that information.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Been several times as I have family out there.
    It’s a vibrant and youthful place but expensive. The misleading attack warnings are a bit disconcerting at first but there is little real apparent threat in my utterly random and non expert opinion.
    Security on departure from the UK and on arrival can be heavy handed and those who do it are not employed for their charm or eagerness to please.
    However, despite all this it is worth a visit both for its social scene and for an overall experience that differs from most places.
    Obviously some will have issues with the state of Israel and tbh if you fall into that category there is nothing there that will change your mind as the local Jewish population are quite defensive, so political arguments are best avoided.
    With regard to the passport issue I used to ask them not to stamp my passport and they used to hand me a stamped headed notepaper that was stapled into my passport which I removed once back home.
    It has been a few years since I have visited so you may wish to google the current position with that as I may be woefully out of date with that information.
    Thanks for that Major. I'm hoping to do a trip to Jerusalem and I'd like to combine a beach stay, maybe in Elat. What's your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Thanks for that Major. I'm hoping to do a trip to Jerusalem and I'd like to combine a beach stay, maybe in Elat. What's your thoughts?
    The beach in Tel Aviv is very good, the nightlife area is a short walk away. Had a great time in the pubs, no security issues as they knew we were only in Israel for the football. As has been mentioned it’s certainly not a cheap place and pushing the ‘bomb curtain’ aside to enter most pubs takes some effort Even though it was a Wales trip I shared a room with Jimmy the Jockand a good time was had by all. The game itself was in Haifa but I think we made the correct decision to stay in Tel Aviv.

Oh, one warning, one of our lot got there a day before us and did a bit of lone sightseeing to kill time and was reprimanded by the police for taking photos. Not sure what he was snapping, doubt if he did either, just some impressive buildings etc. Obviously rattled the law’s cages.

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    I'm thinking there should be a fair few, who followed Wales there a few years ago. Anyway, I'm thinking of going September/October for a week, yes there are a few more security concerns than maybe your run of the mill destination, but the one thing that does concern me is the 'supposed' difficulty of getting in to the UAE with Israel on your passport. Anyone any experience of going to or any difficulty in entering the UAE having been to Israel?

Also interested in what those who went thought of it?

Thanks
    Can I ask, with all the many many places in the world to go for a holiday, why Tel Aviv? Genuinely interested

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The beach in Tel Aviv is very good, the nightlife area is a short walk away. Had a great time in the pubs, no security issues as they knew we were only in Israel for the football. As has been mentioned it’s certainly not a cheap place and pushing the ‘bomb curtain’ aside to enter most pubs takes some effort Even though it was a Wales trip I shared a room with Jimmy the Jockand a good time was had by all. The game itself was in Haifa but I think we made the correct decision to stay in Tel Aviv.

Oh, one warning, one of our lot got there a day before us and did a bit of lone sightseeing to kill time and was reprimanded by the police for taking photos. Not sure what he was snapping, doubt if he did either, just some impressive buildings etc. Obviously rattled the law’s cages.
    Cheers Splotty

Ive spent 5 days in eilat, its a nice beach resort

I wouldn't rush back, the treatment of the Arab neighbours doesn't sit well with me

ref the passport issue, it used to be many Arab countries wouldn't let you in, on the cruises they used to stamp and piece of paper ( which was cut to be the same size as your passport, so in effect a fake passport page ) in your passport to get around this issue

First Team

It has a reputation akin to Ibiza etc but I have never ventured down to the beaches/ resorts so couldn’t really comment.

Like you I would like to visit Jerusalem, despite having no religious convictions , and at the next wedding or funeral will probably make the effort.

Those who have been say it is quite moving but very crowded and can get a little unsettling as the various groups do impose themselves.

Again, a bit of a tourist rip off but a culturally significant place, so it is a must visit if you have the opportunity.

Agree with Major. Lived in Dubai for 17 years and went to Tel Aviv approximately 3 times every year.
    I found getting into the country fairly easy and they are prepared to stamp a piece of paper and leave it in your passport.
    However, I found leaving the airport far more difficult going through 4-5 checks with 5 minutes of questioning at each.
    After 3 years I got a second passport from the UK as I had a concrete reason.
    Found Tel Aviv a fairly vibrant city with lots to do but most of the locals seemed a little bombastic and in your face.

It was 20 years ago now, but I went to Jerusalem for work and flew in/out of Tel Aviv. The Major and others are right - expect getting in and out of the country to be an experience devoid of any warmth and welcome! I got grilled on the way out especially. I remember the guy saying to me "you look impatient, I don't know why, if there is a terrorist on your plane it will be your problem not mine" - or words to that effect. He detained me for so long, going through all my papers, that I only just made the flight. (I was upgraded though - so at least some compensation!). Jerusalem is, of course, a fascinating place to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Can I ask, with all the many many places in the world to go for a holiday, why Tel Aviv? Genuinely interested
    Thanks to everyone who responded. in answer to your question, I'm quite well travelled, like to see new places and i'm only here once.

Thanks to everyone who responded. in answer to your question, I'm quite well travelled, like to see new places and i'm only here once.
    Why not head into fascinating Jerusalem instead of staying in Tel Aviv?

Tel aviv is amazing, lovely beach, great food, great bars. Eye candy everywhere. Jaffa just round the corner. Eilat I'd recommend if you like diving/snorkelling, the red sea reefs are awesome. If not diving, there's not a huge amount in Eilat itself. Although there are some good desert tours, can daytrip to Petra quite easily from there aswell.

Personally I recommend Tel aviv to everyone I know. Really vibrant city with a very diverse and youthful population, it's a huge amount of fun.

In terms of passport, don't worry. They don't stamp. You get an entry and exit card instead.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post

I was following Wales before it got popular .
    We did most of the qualifiers , turned out to be a big period in Welsh football. (I retired after the Euros , didn't want to be taking a Welshmans ticket)

Do you remember the crazy American on the beach pedalling his uncomfortable views?

I went in 2015 and highly recommend Tel Aviv. Some great restaurants and bars, surprisingly friendly people, and a dynamic, youthful vibe. Bit of a culture shock with the metal detectors at malls and soldiers patrolling the beach but overall a good impression.

We were only there for 3 days so we did the tourist thing and booked a day tour to Jerusalem and the Dead Sea. It was about 40 mins on the bus from Tel Aviv. Was very crowded when we were there but you definitely get a sense and feel of the significance and sheer history of the place.

As others have said, they don't stamp your passport but expect a grilling going and coming back. And I mean a grilling. I'd gone to Abu Dhabi 2 years' previously and they wanted to know who I went with, what they're doing now, where I stayed, what I thought of it, did I like it etc. They don't mess about.

On the back of this I read up on why Tel Aviv was so expensive. Very unexpected.

I'd like to go, but maybe not for a standard resort stay.

There will be many people on here who know much more about Tel Aviv and Israel than me but from my visit to that country (and the West Bank) a few years ago I learned that Tel Aviv is a relatively tolerant Israeli city when it comes to gay issues etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    There will be many people on here who know much more about Tel Aviv and Israel than me but from my visit to that country (and the West Bank) a few years ago I learned that Tel Aviv is a relatively tolerant Israeli city when it comes to gay issues etc.
    I know I said I shared a room with Jimmy the Jock but c’mon now there’s no need for insinuations

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I was following Wales before it got popular .
    We did most of the qualifiers , turned out to be a big period in Welsh football. (I retired after the Euros , didn't want to be taking a Welshmans ticket)

Do you remember the crazy American on the beach pedalling his uncomfortable views?
    I certainly do, telling us that every Muslim wanted to kill all non Muslims. How Islam was evil, all Muslims were terrorists who’d eat your children given the chance etc etc. I think it may have been you who asked him the question, “Have you ever met a Muslim?”, his reply, “No, I haven’t sir, but………..”

Twenty four hours after I had walked through a particular passageway in Jerusalem several Palestinian youths were shot dead by Police there.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    One of the biggest pride parades inthe world. Although a weekend to stay away from if you're on any kind of budget, hotel prices go through the roof !

Fair enough, have fun!

I quite fancy going to Israel also. Met quite a few Israelis in India, a lot go to Goa to party. They never mix much with others mind and it would take quite a few days of seeing them at a bar before they might even say hello. I guess they are always wary of foreigners even more so on foreign soil. Some absolutely stunning girls amongst them, almost Impossible to get near them let alone speak to them.

I was there 42 years ago and it still gives me some of the best memories of anywhere I have travelled.

Jerusalem and The Dead Sea are a must - the latter is like no place on Earth - and it's the lowest land-based elevation on Earth.
    Some 430.5 metres (1,412 ft) below sea level!

As for the Dead Sea itself, it is 304 m (997 ft) deep, the deepest hypersaline lake in the world.