+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: South Wales, the international hotbed for possession football

South Wales, the international hotbed for possession football

Re: South Wales, the international hotbed for possession football

Shows that Morisson is making changes. Was never going to turn into success over night but I'd give him until the end of next season to see what he can do

I found it amusing during the Man City v Chelsea game (which was possession/pressing football personified) that the pundits were advocating that Chelsea resorted to long balls to Lukaku.
    Is the pendulum on the swing?
    Oh - and flared jeans are back in fashion, I see....

Well this simply will not do.

36% of that figure is Vaulks wiping the ball with a towel.

We may not be very good at it but this is what we wanted isn’t it?

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Not really, there were never very many people calling for possession football. Not wanting us to play hoofball does not mean you want to see what people here have called "tippy tappy" football

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Yes and no really. I can't recall anyone asking for more possession, just more passing, build up play, movement etc. We've got more passing under Morison but there is no end result with it, at no point do we find the opening needed to exploit the possession, which is what it's all about i suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Yes and no really. I can't recall anyone asking for more possession, just more passing, build up play, movement etc. We've got more passing under Morison but there is no end result with it, at no point do we find the opening needed to exploit the possession, which is what it's all about i suppose.
    My point wasn’t entirely serious but perhaps the challenge to turn us into a side effective at all those things shouldn’t be underestimated either.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I found it amusing during the Man City v Chelsea game (which was possession/pressing football personified) that the pundits were advocating that Chelsea resorted to long balls to Lukaku.
    Is the pendulum on the swing?
    Oh - and flared jeans are back in fashion, I see....
    Liverpool play a lot of long balls. But most of them are inch-perfect and to the feet of Mo Salah who has the kind of balance, speed and touch you see once or twice in a generation.

What's our percentage for getting the ball in the back of the net 5%?

International

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    What's our percentage for getting the ball in the back of the net 5%?
    That's 100%. every time we put the ball in the back of the net we put the ball in the back of the net.

Who's net it may be is a different question

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Liverpool play a lot of long balls. But most of them are inch-perfect and to the feet of Mo Salah who has the kind of balance, speed and touch you see once or twice in a generation.
    The direct football we played at the start of the 2017 18 season under Warnock was exciting and effective with balls played into the channels and behind defenders for the front 3 of Zohore , Mendez Laing and Hoilett to run on to . The 3-0 demolition of Aston Villa in the opening game was a perfect example of exciting direct football

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    The direct football we played at the start of the 2017 18 season under Warnock was exciting and effective with balls played into the channels and behind defenders for the front 3 of Zohore , Mendez Laing and Hoilett to run on to . The 3-0 demolition of Aston Villa in the opening game was a perfect example of exciting direct football
    Totally agree. Edge of seat - even stand up stuff. Best City football experience in last decade imo.
    Shame it didn't last. Zohore and ML had non-football related problems, which caught up with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Totally agree. Edge of seat - even stand up stuff. Best City football experience in last decade imo.
    Shame it didn't last. Zohore and ML had non-football related problems, which caught up with them.
    Warnock also, for whatever reason, turned away from that style not long after. I think we got battered up at Preston (?) and from then on it became a far more turgid affair