+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 out of 6 to go down?

3 out of 6 to go down?

Thankyou Stoke for beating Hull today.
    There is a bit of a gap developing between the bottom 6 and the rest, and fortunately all are losing, apart from Derby.
    The way things are looking 45 points should be enough to stay up. Whether are not City will get there I don't know, but must have a decent chance if we can bring a couple more players in, and antivaxer Moore doesnt get covid again.
    Derby are losing players and possibly a manager, so despite their excellent form I dont think they will be able to keep it up.
    Fingers crossed time certainly.

Re: 3 out of 6 to go down?

If we avoid it this time can you see any form of plan that indicates we won’t be in the same situation next season?
    The malaise is frightening

Have to be optimistic that if we stay up the changes already made and will be made by the summer will see us better equipped next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    If we avoid it this time can you see any form of plan that indicates we won’t be in the same situation next season?
    I genuinely think that's the most pertinent question we've had on the board for a long time. Unless money is spent on acquiring better quality we might be in the same situation next season and without any other teams having had points docked.

The more worrying scenario is that situation may be in League 1.

I think if we stay up this season we'll be ok next season

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I think if we stay up this season we'll be ok next season
    Out of interest why?

City at best will be treading water for the foreseeable few seasons. I don't see Tan investing heavily again and I don't see any innovative coach coming to a club which looks from the outside to be an absolute basket case, to develop a team which could challenge in this league.

I get the feeling that the current regime will be happy to avoid relegation this season and make it the target for next.

If that isn't their objective? They're more clueless than I've feared.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I genuinely think that's the most pertinent question we've had on the board for a long time. Unless money is spent on acquiring better quality we might be in the same situation next season and without any other teams having had points docked.

The more worrying scenario is that situation may be in League 1.
    Tan will be lucky to get 25p for the club if we go down….

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Thankyou Stoke for beating Hull today.
    There is a bit of a gap developing between the bottom 6 and the rest, and fortunately all are losing, apart from Derby.
    The way things are looking 45 points should be enough to stay up. Whether are not City will get there I don't know, but must have a decent chance if we can bring a couple more players in, and antivaxer Moore doesnt get covid again.
    Derby are losing players and possibly a manager, so despite their excellent form I dont think they will be able to keep it up.
    Fingers crossed time certainly.
    If we beat the wurzels next we could easily drag them and swansea into it

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Out of interest why?

City at best will be treading water for the foreseeable few seasons. I don't see Tan investing heavily again and I don't see any innovative coach coming to a club which looks from the outside to be an absolute basket case, to develop a team which could challenge in this league.

I get the feeling that the current regime will be happy to avoid relegation this season and make it the target for next.

If that isn't their objective? They're more clueless than I've feared.
    I think that a lot of our problems stem from the senior players at the club many of which are out of contract this summer. They are almost all past it, not good enough or overpaid (most of them all three). Their departures would cut the amount spent on wages massively, giving us greater room to find player more suited to the new way Morison/the board want us to play. Our ability to make many changes is hugely constrained by these players, most of them on big contracts and severely limited as footballers. When they go we'll be down to the bare bones sure, but with players perhaps more suited to the way we want to play. I imagine SOME of that saved money will be available for reinforcements.

I'm also encouraged by our recruitment, it's less scattergun than previously and there's clearly some sort of plan as our signings have been markedly different to in the past as we're bringing in cheaper, younger players from lower leagues. A cynic may say it's cost cutting and it may be, but I think it could prove to be successful for us. As long as we don't revert to signing older players on bloated contracts I'm happy.

If we stay up then that means a few of the youngsters will have proven themselves to at least be decent enough players at this level, they will only improve as time goes on and they get more experience. The change in Mark Harris (a player I really like, but don't rate that highly) after a year of being a Championship player is incredible. He looks far better than he did when he broke in to the side. If similar happens to players like Davies, Colwill etc (who are all a few years younger) then that's really promising for the future.

I also don't think we're that much of a basket case, we've certainly been in a bigger mess of the pitch in the past previously and there are growing signs that those at the top are listening to someone who knows what they're on about. The re-structuring of the academy seems to be working, we're investing in expanding that and gone are the days of giving the manager free reign it seems. That's all promising imo as for me the main reason we're in a mess is a certain Neil Warnock, it's no coincidence that almost all of the players running out of contract were signed by him

Also if we somehow manage to stay up with this horrific side who lost 8 on the bounce then we've clearly been cursed to stay in this division forever

I think that a lot of our problems stem from the senior players at the club many of which are out of contract this summer. They are almost all past it, not good enough or overpaid (most of them all three). Their departures would cut the amount spent on wages massively, giving us greater room to find player more suited to the new way Morison/the board want us to play. Our ability to make many changes is hugely constrained by these players, most of them on big contracts and severely limited as footballers. When they go we'll be down to the bare bones sure, but with players perhaps more suited to the way we want to play. I imagine SOME of that saved money will be available for reinforcements.

I'm also encouraged by our recruitment, it's less scattergun than previously and there's clearly some sort of plan as our signings have been markedly different to in the past as we're bringing in cheaper, younger players from lower leagues. A cynic may say it's cost cutting and it may be, but I think it could prove to be successful for us. As long as we don't revert to signing older players on bloated contracts I'm happy.

If we stay up then that means a few of the youngsters will have proven themselves to at least be decent enough players at this level, they will only improve as time goes on and they get more experience. The change in Mark Harris (a player I really like, but don't rate that highly) after a year of being a Championship player is incredible. He looks far better than he did when he broke in to the side. If similar happens to players like Davies, Colwill etc (who are all a few years younger) then that's really promising for the future.

I also don't think we're that much of a basket case, we've certainly been in a bigger mess of the pitch in the past previously and there are growing signs that those at the top are listening to someone who knows what they're on about. The re-structuring of the academy seems to be working, we're investing in expanding that and gone are the days of giving the manager free reign it seems. That's all promising imo as for me the main reason we're in a mess is a certain Neil Warnock, it's no coincidence that almost all of the players running out of contract were signed by him

Also if we somehow manage to stay up with this horrific side who lost 8 on the bounce then we've clearly been cursed to stay in this division forever
    Some decent points made there and I admire your optimism.

I fear the powers that be will aim low and achieve lower.

Let's be fair if it wasn't for points deductions City would be in the shiit.

It'll be an interesting summer, player recruitment wise.

[QUOTE=City123;5265038]I think that a lot of our problems stem from the senior players at the club many of which are out of contract this summer. They are almost all past it, not good enough or overpaid (most of them all three). Their departures would cut the amount spent on wages massively, giving us greater room to find player more suited to the new way Morison/the board want us to play. Our ability to make many changes is hugely constrained by these players, most of them on big contracts and severely limited as footballers. When they go we'll be down to the bare bones sure, but with players perhaps more suited to the way we want to play. I imagine SOME of that saved money will be available for reinforcements.

Sensible post 123

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    No, the hierarchy seem hell bent on the Club performing in future in the depths of the Football League

Good post. I agree with almost all of that - apart from the curse!

The way we've played and the way the club has done business we deserve to go down.
    But we won't

Is Rooney really in the frame to manage Everton?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Is Rooney really in the frame to manage Everton?
    yes

This is probably the best post i've read in months on here
    Keep the faith

I’m in agreement with you. Whether we stay up or go down, the coming summer should be seen as a big opportunity to build a competitive, Championship standard squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Some decent points made there and I admire your optimism.

I fear the powers that be will aim low and achieve lower.

Let's be fair if it wasn't for points deductions City would be in the shiit.

It'll be an interesting summer, player recruitment wise.
    If it weren't for Derby & Reading's points deductions we'd be in the bottom 3, FIVE points adrift. For the 1st time in a few seasons we need to actually improve, not just tread water.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    If it weren't for Derby & Reading's points deductions we'd be in the bottom 3, FIVE points adrift. For the 1st time in a few seasons we need to actually improve, not just tread water.
    we were always going to be worse this season, due to the massively reduced playing budget, with so much of it tied up with past it players.
    we will release some money in the summer for wages,. we just need to use it well.

That's the scary bit. Better hope neither of them appeal...

People talk about the Reading and Derby points deductions (in fact any club's points deductions) as if they were random 'acts of god' that hit the unlucky club and benefitted their rivals.

Rubbish.

These clubs have been doing wrong. They have been breaking the rules to benefit themselves, their squads, and their league position.

The points deductions are to correct and punish their wrong-doing.

It is a similar mindset to our fans who constantly claim the team were lucky because the opposition hit a post or our goalkeeper saved a shot. If it wasn't for X, Y or Z then something else would have happened! Usually it involves ignoring any and all of our close shaves or missed attempts and concentrating on where we might have shipped a goal if the other side were more accurate or lucky!

It is a weird form of masochism.

If we stay up this season because Derby and/or Reading finish below us because of a points deduction we will have deserved it. They are not unlucky. They got caught and punished.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    People talk about the Reading and Derby points deductions (in fact any club's points deductions) as if they were random 'acts of god' that hit the unlucky club and benefitted their rivals.

Rubbish.

These clubs have been doing wrong. They have been breaking the rules to benefit themselves, their squads, and their league position.

The points deductions are to correct and punish their wrong-doing.

It is a similar mindset to our fans who constantly claim the team were lucky because the opposition hit a post or our goalkeeper saved a shot. If it wasn't for X, Y or Z then something else would have happened! Usually it involves ignoring any and all of our close shaves or missed attempts and concentrating on where we might have shipped a goal if the other side were more accurate or lucky!

It is a weird form of masochism.

If we stay up this season because Derby and/or Reading finish below us because of a points deduction we will have deserved it. They are not unlucky. They got caught and punished.
    I'm not sure the claim is so much that these teams are unlucky. But more just that based on results alone this season we would be lower still. Yes, it's ifs and buts territory but perhaps a warning that some teams behind us have actually been performing better than us so far overall and if things continue as they are we should probably expect them to catch and possibly overtake us.

We should do a Newcastle and sign Tom Lawrence. Again.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’m in agreement with you. Whether we stay up or go down, the coming summer should be seen as a big opportunity to build a competitive, Championship standard squad.
    I'm not sure how we're going to build a competitive, Championship-standard squad in the summer if we'll be playing in League One next season.