+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 out of 6 to go down?

Re: 3 out of 6 to go down?

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    I'm not sure how we're going to build a competitive, Championship-standard squad in the summer if we'll be playing in League One next season.
    That’s what sides that get promoted and manage to stay up do.
    We’ve been promoted to the second tier three times since I’ve been supporting City and stayed up each time, twice comfortably, despite hardly being flush with money on two of those occasions - the point is that the summer represents a great opportunity for rebuilding and it doesn’t have to be inevitable that we’ll struggle next season.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    That’s what sides that get promoted and manage to stay up do.
    We’ve been promoted to the second tier three times since I’ve been supporting City and stayed up each time, twice comfortably, despite hardly being flush with money on two of those occasions - the point is that the summer represents a great opportunity for rebuilding and it doesn’t have to be inevitable that we’ll struggle next season.
    Are you confident the club will get their aims, strategy and recruitment right then?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    People talk about the Reading and Derby points deductions (in fact any club's points deductions) as if they were random 'acts of god' that hit the unlucky club and benefitted their rivals.

Rubbish.

These clubs have been doing wrong. They have been breaking the rules to benefit themselves, their squads, and their league position.

The points deductions are to correct and punish their wrong-doing.

It is a similar mindset to our fans who constantly claim the team were lucky because the opposition hit a post or our goalkeeper saved a shot. If it wasn't for X, Y or Z then something else would have happened! Usually it involves ignoring any and all of our close shaves or missed attempts and concentrating on where we might have shipped a goal if the other side were more accurate or lucky!

It is a weird form of masochism.

If we stay up this season because Derby and/or Reading finish below us because of a points deduction we will have deserved it. They are not unlucky. They got caught and punished.
    Spot on, and I look at their squads and still think they’ve got more experienced players than us even now- even though they are supposed to be on their knees.

There’s a huge chunk going off our wage bill in the summer, plus an awful court case to deal with , both of which will have major impacts on our budget. All this with extra restrictions being put upon us by our local government.

Add to this key players getting injuries and not per morning or not being 100% (Morrison and Moore for example were amongst the best at this level last season, but are just shadows this season)and an unbalanced side with big deficiencies and holes not dealt with in the summer ( lack of pace, back and front creativity middle and up front, no senior wide players, no senior left back)senior and well paid players like Murphy, Tomlin (we will have paid a big chunk of his contract off) and Vassell contributing nothing and it’s no surprise we are struggling- can add to that a suicidal ex manager..

But all of this can be addressed and I’m confident it will be in the summer.

Key though is to stay up - 2-3 wins in the next few weeks and I’ll sleep easier.

Hopefully starting on Saturday 🤞

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Are you confident the club will get their aims, strategy and recruitment right then?
    No, that’s why I’m only talking about an opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    No, that’s why I’m only talking about an opportunity.
    Me neither, I'm not entirely convinced they're even 'that' interested in development or competing in this league.

Treading water seems to be the aim. I'm not sure that's going to be enough next season?

I'm a miserable bugger mind.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    People talk about the Reading and Derby points deductions (in fact any club's points deductions) as if they were random 'acts of god' that hit the unlucky club and benefitted their rivals.

Rubbish.

These clubs have been doing wrong. They have been breaking the rules to benefit themselves, their squads, and their league position.

The points deductions are to correct and punish their wrong-doing.

It is a similar mindset to our fans who constantly claim the team were lucky because the opposition hit a post or our goalkeeper saved a shot. If it wasn't for X, Y or Z then something else would have happened! Usually it involves ignoring any and all of our close shaves or missed attempts and concentrating on where we might have shipped a goal if the other side were more accurate or lucky!

It is a weird form of masochism.

If we stay up this season because Derby and/or Reading finish below us because of a points deduction we will have deserved it. They are not unlucky. They got caught and punished.