+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: What ever happened to those old football tournaments they used to have for old ex players?

What ever happened to those old football tournaments they used to have for old ex players?

I forget the name of them now but I remember watching them on TV whereby older ex professional footballers would play for teams they played for in the past and would compete in an oldies tournament against teams from other clubs and would progress to the next round by winning a set of league points?
    It was either a six or seven a side match from memory?
    The last game we played was down at the ice hockey stadium and Andy legg was player manager I think?
    Must have been 15 years ago?
    You don't see these tournaments anymore it would be interesting to think who would play for us in these type of matches now

Re: What ever happened to those old football tournaments they used to have for old ex players?

Masters? Used to be on sky. Not sure when it stopped but yea must be a good few years.

Re: What ever happened to those old football tournaments they used to have for old ex players?

the old boys make more money playing " legends " games around the country

stay in the local Premier Inn, play a friendly game, have a meet and greet in the club house back to the Prem Inn for a 2nd night and then home on Monday

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    the old boys make more money playing " legends " games around the country

stay in the local Premier Inn, play a friendly game, have a meet and greet in the club house back to the Prem Inn for a 2nd night and then home on Monday
    Stop making it sound so glamorous, Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Stop making it sound so glamorous, Matt.
    I loves the Premier Inn

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I loves the Premier Inn
    I'm with you, they're great value.