+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Quiz question

Quiz question

The FA cup tie against Preston saw us claim our 24th win at home over the Lilywhites, who become the side we've beaten most at home in our history.

It also gave us our 39th win over the side, meaning we've beaten Preston more than any other club side. Which other 4 sides complete the top 5 of teams we've beaten most often (not including Welsh cup games)?

Re: Quiz question

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    The FA cup tie against Preston saw us claim our 24th win at home over the Lilywhites, who become the side we've beaten most at home in our history.

It also gave us our 39th win over the side, meaning we've beaten Preston more than any other club side. Which other 4 sides complete the top 5 of teams we've beaten most often (not including Welsh cup games)?
    I'm thinking (off the top of my head and no googling) the following might be in there - in this order: Shrewsbury, Charlton, Hull, York, Hereford, Blackburn, Rotherham....and Wrexham and Newport (even noting your comment about the Welsh Cup).

No idea really

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    I'm thinking (off the top of my head and no googling) the following might be in there - in this order: Shrewsbury, Charlton, Hull, York, Hereford, Blackburn, Rotherham....and Wrexham and Newport (even noting your comment about the Welsh Cup).

No idea really
    Nope, none of them! Nice try though :)

Bristol City and Derby possibly.

Great question, Eric and thank you for it.

I'm not a historian or data person when it comes to football but I've been around a long time and so these are the clubs who instinct tells me (and who it seems to me we've played most often ) we've had most victories over:-

Middlesbrough
    Huddersfield
    Sheff Wed
    Birmingham

In addition to my earlier answer of Derby and Bristol City, possibly add Nottingham Forest and Swansea. We do seem to have beaten Forest a lot of times since they slipped out of the top division.

We beat Leeds a lot

I've got a feeling that up to about 10 years ago the side we'd played the most was Orient, so I'll go with them.

hartlepool maybe

I think some of the answers since Eric last replied could be right (e.g. Derby, Huddersfield, Swansea and maybe Orient). I wonder about Southampton as well - I can only remember them seeing them beat us in the league down here that Boxing Day in Malky Mackay's last game in charge. Walsall? Brentford?

We've had them all from various posters, so here's the list (extended to the top 10):

1 Preston North End 39
    2 Bristol City 36
    3 Leyton Orient 35
    4 Middlesbrough 33
    5 Nottingham Forest 32
    6 Derby County 30
    7 Leeds United 29
    7 Birmingham City 29
    7 Burnley 29
    10 Barnsley 28
    10 Huddersfield Town 28

Hot Shot Hamish is right to say that Leyton Orient were the side we'd played the most (I think back in 2000/01). The sides we've faced most often (as of today, again discounting Welsh competitions):

1 Preston North End 98
    2 Bristol City 95
    3 Burnley 85
    4 Leyton Orient 83
    5 Huddersfield Town 80
    5 Queens Park Rangers 80
    7 Bolton Wanderers 78
    8 Birmingham City 76
    8 Charlton Athletic 76
    10 Sheffield United 75
    10 Reading 75

For anyone still awake at this point, here's our 10 best win percentages against sides we've played 15 times or more:

1 Hereford United 61.5%
    2 Mansfield Town 55.6%
    3 Nottingham Forest 53.3%
    3 Chesterfield 53.3%
    5 Liverpool 52.9%
    5 Halifax Town 52.9%
    7 Wrexham 52.8%
    8 Carlisle United 51.2%
    9 Barnsley 50%
    9 Doncaster Rovers 50%
    9 Hartlepool United 50%
    9 Scarborough 50%

And our 10 bogey sides:

1 Manchester City 17.3%
    2 Barnet 17.6%
    3 West Ham United 17.9%
    4 Peterborough United 20.7%
    4 Wigan Athletic 20.7%
    6 Tottenham Hotspur 21.6%
    7 Arsenal 21.7%
    8 Crystal Palace 23.2%
    9 Blackpool 25%
    10 Manchester United 26%

We've had them all from various posters, so here's the list (extended to the top 10):

1 Preston North End 39
    2 Bristol City 36
    3 Leyton Orient 35
    4 Middlesbrough 33
    5 Nottingham Forest 32
    6 Derby County 30
    7 Leeds United 29
    7 Birmingham City 29
    7 Burnley 29
    10 Barnsley 28
    10 Huddersfield Town 28

Hot Shot Hamish is right to say that Leyton Orient were the side we'd played the most (I think back in 2000/01). The sides we've faced most often (as of today, again discounting Welsh competitions):

1 Preston North End 98
    2 Bristol City 95
    3 Burnley 85
    4 Leyton Orient 83
    5 Huddersfield Town 80
    5 Queens Park Rangers 80
    7 Bolton Wanderers 78
    8 Birmingham City 76
    8 Charlton Athletic 76
    10 Sheffield United 75
    10 Reading 75

For anyone still awake at this point, here's our 10 best win percentages against sides we've played 15 times or more:

1 Hereford United 61.5%
    2 Mansfield Town 55.6%
    3 Nottingham Forest 53.3%
    3 Chesterfield 53.3%
    5 Liverpool 52.9%
    5 Halifax Town 52.9%
    7 Wrexham 52.8%
    8 Carlisle United 51.2%
    9 Barnsley 50%
    9 Doncaster Rovers 50%
    9 Hartlepool United 50%
    9 Scarborough 50%

And our 10 bogey sides:

1 Manchester City 17.3%
    2 Barnet 17.6%
    3 West Ham United 17.9%
    4 Peterborough United 20.7%
    4 Wigan Athletic 20.7%
    6 Tottenham Hotspur 21.6%
    7 Arsenal 21.7%
    8 Crystal Palace 23.2%
    9 Blackpool 25%
    10 Manchester United 26%

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I think some of the answers since Eric last replied could be right (e.g. Derby, Huddersfield, Swansea and maybe Orient). I wonder about Southampton as well - I can only remember them seeing them beat us in the league down here that Boxing Day in Malky Mackay's last game in charge. Walsall? Brentford?
    Southampton are 37th in the list. We've beaten them 20 times in 49 games. Good spot about our form against them at home. They've won in only 4 league visits to Cardiff and one league cup tie. That Boxing day defeat stopped a run of 7 successive home league wins against them, where their previous league win at Ninian Park was a 5-3 win on Dec 27 1965!

Swansea are 22nd on the list with 23 wins in 71 games. Needless to say, we've got one of our poorer win percentages against them.

Walsall - 12 wins from 28 games. Brentford - 22 wins from 52.

Nope, none of them! Nice try though :)

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    We'll soon be pushing that Liverpool stat towards 60%