+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best player to play for city

Re: Best player to play for city

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    I have seen a few since 1968. Brian Harris is up there with the best for me. I also liked Brian Mcdermott the former Reading manager. But for me it has to be Eddie Newton. Pure class.
    What does best mean?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    John Charles, End of thread
    Yes, if best means who is the greatest footballer to have worn a City shirt.

International

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Yes, if best means who is the greatest footballer to have worn a City shirt.
    Isn't that what the thread title says? It doesn't say the player who played best for city.
    So amongst all the other names could have been Fowler for example!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    What does best mean?
    What should have been the title is favourite player to wear the shirt.

Whitts

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Isn't that what the thread title says? It doesn't say the player who played best for city.
    So amongst all the other names could have been Fowler for example!
    Good shout. Jason Fowler was class

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    The OP didn't ask who was the best we had seen, he asked who was the best! John Charles stand head and shoulders above all the others,
    Name me another city player that a foreign club has erected a statue of to remind young supporters of his greatness and in gratitude for his ability and his loyalty.
    He was dropped by Scoular for long periods and ended up going to non league Hereford. If the only criteria is reputation, then he probably is the best, but if we’re talking about performances while a Cardiff City player, then he isn’t surely? He was clearly past his best when he came here. The list of candidates would look a lot different than it does in this thread if reputation was the criteria, with the likes of, for example, Ivor Allchurch, Mike England, Gerry Francis, Kevin Ratcliffe, Robbie Fowler, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Trevor Sinclair, KasperSchmeichel and Gary Medel to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    John Charles, End of thread
    Agreed.

And in the last 50 years - Robin Friday.

Video TRIBUTE >> "THE GREATEST FOOTBALLER YOU NEVER SAW"

Quote Originally Posted by truthpaste View Post
    Agreed.

And in the last 50 years - Robin Friday.

Video TRIBUTE >> "THE GREATEST FOOTBALLER YOU NEVER SAW"
    Think this might be the cue for an appearance by Enoch Mort, who is of the same opinion as me in thinking Friday was more of a hindrance than a help when he was with us.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Think this might be the cue for an appearance by Enoch Mort, who is of the same opinion as me in thinking Friday was more of a hindrance than a help when he was with us.
    Fair comment but may I say, wrong conversation.

If the thread was "The Player who was best for CCFC" then I would agree, Friday was a complete box of frogs.
    As a gifted player, he was a flawed genius. The most exciting & charismatic player I have seen in my 55 years at City.

Leon Jeanne

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    He was dropped by Scoular for long periods and ended up going to non league Hereford. If the only criteria is reputation, then he probably is the best, but if we’re talking about performances while a Cardiff City player, then he isn’t surely? He was clearly past his best when he came here. The list of candidates would look a lot different than it does in this thread if reputation was the criteria, with the likes of, for example, Ivor Allchurch, Mike England, Gerry Francis, Kevin Ratcliffe, Robbie Fowler, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Trevor Sinclair, KasperSchmeichel and Gary Medel to consider.
    That magic word "If". But the OP didn't stipulate the criteria did it?
    As I've already pointed out the OP did not ask for the person who played best for us, only the best player who ever played for us.
    It is easy to change the question to give your self the right answer, people do it on here all the time.

Bale - 2022

Bothroyd and Whittingham for me.
    For Bothroyd to get an England cap playing for little Cardiff City says it all about his talent/form around that time. He was unreal.
    Whitts needs no blurb- best Championship player of all time, cannot be questioned.

International

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    What should have been the title is favourite player to wear the shirt.
    Well you chose the title not us.
    But again 'favourite' doesn't always mean Best or LFW would never be in any poll ever

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Leon Jeanne
    He'd run rings around the guards in Mean Machine fair play

Quote Originally Posted by truthpaste View Post
    Fair comment but may I say, wrong conversation.

If the thread was "The Player who was best for CCFC" then I would agree, Friday was a complete box of frogs.
    As a gifted player, he was a flawed genius. The most exciting & charismatic player I have seen in my 55 years at City.
    In terms of the greatest player ever to play for us it has to be John Charles. If he had been English he would have been knighted. It’s a pity that he was way past his best and had a seriously gammy knee when he played for us.

In terms of Robin Friday there is no doubt he had been extremely talented when he played for Reading. However, due to his lifestyle and attitude the law of diminishing returns set in early in his career. His reputation went before him, big clubs wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole and when Reading eventually got fed up with him we were the only ones mug enough to buy him. When he was with us he missed more than half the games he was eligible for be being in jail, suspended, injured or couldn’t be a*sed. Sadly, glimpses of his real ability were precious few with us. A real waste of a life. I’m sure he could have been a great player had his attitude been different. With Robin Friday it’s a case of what might have been. Outside of Reading and Cardiff, Robin Friday will be primarily remembered for a great photo and a completely untrue story of what was supposed to have happened in Brighton.