Jeff Bezos
    Bernard Arnault and family
    Bill Gates
    Larry Ellison
    Larry Page
    Sergey Brin
    Mark Zuckerberg
    Steve Ballmer and Warren Buffet.

whilst covid induced poverty has pushed close on 100 million people into poverty in the world according to this report

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/12/26/b...hnk/index.html

talk about inequality makes my blood boil ...............
    Covid in the short term and particularly WFH in the long term will be a massive shift in increasing inequalities.

Covid because it skewed markets and made some things massively in demand - video technology, drugs, new IT, home deliveries. The average person can't deliver these products, unlike say a coffee shop or clothes shop.

Long term WFH will benefit those with houses big enough to make it tolerable, leaving those in shared housing or living alone or in crowded houses facing real difficulties. The subsequent reductions in public transport will hit those who need it most.

Offices, public transport for commuting and city centres are rare places wherre all social classes mix and all are equal. You remove that and people will 'stay local' and wealthier areas will advance whilst poorer fall behind.

If that's not the world you want, do something to change it. I go into the office, I use public transport, I try to buy independently where I can, I use cash for a good chunk of what I buy, I use Amazon as a last resort.

Re: Seems like some people done well out of Pandemic

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Covid in the short term and particularly WFH in the long term will be a massive shift in increasing inequalities.

Covid because it skewed markets and made some things massively in demand - video technology, drugs, new IT, home deliveries. The average person can't deliver these products, unlike say a coffee shop or clothes shop.

Long term WFH will benefit those with houses big enough to make it tolerable, leaving those in shared housing or living alone or in crowded houses facing real difficulties. The subsequent reductions in public transport will hit those who need it most.

Offices, public transport for commuting and city centres are rare places wherre all social classes mix and all are equal. You remove that and people will 'stay local' and wealthier areas will advance whilst poorer fall behind.

If that's not the world you want, do something to change it. I go into the office, I use public transport, I try to buy independently where I can, I use cash for a good chunk of what I buy, I use Amazon as a last resort.
    Well tax the feckers who made the billions not those who have to chose between heating and eating.

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    Well tax the feckers who made the billions not those who have to chose between heating and eating.
    Well yeah, of course. But just like we can all do our bit on the environment, we can all do our bit on the kind of economy we want too.

Concerned about housing? Don't use Air BnB.
    Concerned about huge multinationals? Don't use amazon
    Concerned about global finance and banks. Use cash sometimes.
    Concerned about inequality? Don't encourage WFH.

There's hundreds of practical little things that can and should be done to prevent a transfer of economic and social power from the have nots to the haves.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Well yeah, of course. But just like we can all do our bit on the environment, we can all do our bit on the kind of economy we want too.

Concerned about housing? Don't use Air BnB.
    Concerned about huge multinationals? Don't use amazon
    Concerned about global finance and banks. Use cash sometimes.
    Concerned about inequality? Don't encourage WFH.

There's hundreds of practical little things that can and should be done to prevent a transfer of economic and social power from the have nots to the haves.
    It needs regulatory change. The system is set up for convenience and, when money is tight, cheapness. It can't all be up to the consumer.