+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graham Potter's thoughts on how to succeed as a manager - and why some of City's recent managers may have failed.

Angry Graham Potter's thoughts on how to succeed as a manager - and why some of City's recent managers may have failed.

Potter (with maybe a sideways dig at Everton) has aired some sage comments about how to succeed as a manager at a football club:

""The mistake is often to think you are better than you are and can succeed in any environment. That is not the case.
    "I am ambitious. I want to succeed. But I am no magician. I need help. To be successful as a coach, you need good people around you - staff, board, CEO, the strategy of the club, the structures around it, the players. I have got senior players here who are so helpful and supportive.
    "We have a fantastic chairman who provides the clarity, vision and support for us all and allows us to get on with our work.
    "Everything around the club gives you a chance as a coach."

City have dismissed several managers in recent years as performances have dipped. One wonders whether any of the aspects outlined by Potter are lacking at the club.

Re: Graham Potter's thoughts on how to succeed as a manager - and why some of City's recent managers may have failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Potter (with maybe a sideways dig at Everton) has aired some sage comments about how to succeed as a manager at a football club:

""The mistake is often to think you are better than you are and can succeed in any environment. That is not the case.
    "I am ambitious. I want to succeed. But I am no magician. I need help. To be successful as a coach, you need good people around you - staff, board, CEO, the strategy of the club, the structures around it, the players. I have got senior players here who are so helpful and supportive.
    "We have a fantastic chairman who provides the clarity, vision and support for us all and allows us to get on with our work.

City have dismissed several managers in recent years as performances have dipped. One wonders whether any of the aspects outlined by Potter are lacking at the club.
    I would say all, with the possible exception of staff and (most) players.
    There seems very little support from those above and even less clarity on what we are trying to do.
    The owner and the board seem clueless.

Re: Graham Potter's thoughts on how to succeed as a manager - and why some of City's recent managers may have failed.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I would say all, with the possible exception of staff and (most) players.
    There seems very little support from those above and even less clarity on what we are trying to do.
    The owner and the board seem clueless.
    And yet Malky and Neil Warnock got us promoted twice under the same board and owner

Given what he's said there it's a good job for Graham he didn't come here.

if you look at somewhere like man u

since Sir Alec left

Moyes - failed
    van gaal - failed
    mourinho - failed
    ogs - failed
    Rangnick already some moaning about him.

some of those guys are capable managers with much success, and OGS, so why doe they all fail there? must be the other things in the club

We were promoted twice by recruiting the right players to do the job. We were relegated twice, after failing to recruit the right players to do the job. A bit of money spent on either occasion might have allowed us a few more seasons in the top flight.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    We were promoted twice by recruiting the right players to do the job. We were relegated twice, after failing to recruit the right players to do the job. A bit of money spent on either occasion might have allowed us a few more seasons in the top flight.
    Cardiff were also relegated twice because on both occasions they never had the right manager in charge. Both were clearly out of their depth. Blame Tan for not acting sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    Cardiff were also relegated twice because on both occasions they never had the right manager in charge. Both were clearly out of their depth. Blame Tan for not acting sooner.
    Warnock should never have been allowed to have managed us in the Premier. Apart from his historical failings at that level I also believe he was responsible for convincing a naïve Tan that we didn't need a whole lot of money spent on the squad to survive our first year back.

The mantra about us doing a "Burnley" was started by Warnock without a realistic assessment of the status of the two clubs, the quality of the squads and their management set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    And yet Malky and Neil Warnock got us promoted twice under the same board and owner
    Agreed - which I why I wrote "some" managers.
    But they were in a different class to the other guys who have managed since then, some of whom were relatively inexperienced. Ole has revealed that Tan meddled with his team selection and maybe some tactics - and I'd guess others would make the same complaint.

What I like about Potter is that he's evolved a playing style that works and I enjoy watching. Looking forward to the game against Chelsea tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    Cardiff were also relegated twice because on both occasions they never had the right manager in charge. Both were clearly out of their depth.
    I disagree. I believe that if Malky hadn't shot himself in the foot, we would have stayed up. And we were only a couple of points from surviving under Warnock. If Sala had played, perhaps we would have survived. Warnock was clearly affected by that saga. Both Malky and Warnock were competent managers.

I disagree. I believe that if Malky hadn't shot himself in the foot, we would have stayed up. And we were only a couple of points from surviving under Warnock. If Sala had played, perhaps we would have survived. Warnock was clearly affected by that saga. Both Malky and Warnock were competent managers.
    Agree, we were doing okay under Malky until the falling out with Tan ( though at least that did eventually end with getting rid of those damn red shirts!) and Warnock almost kept us up , as you say , a few goals from Sala may well have made the difference , sadly we will never know

Agree, we were doing okay under Malky until the falling out with Tan ( though at least that did eventually end with getting rid of those damn red shirts!) and Warnock almost kept us up , as you say , a few goals from Sala may well have made the difference , sadly we will never know
    I think we were always going down under Malky.

the Sala signing could have kept us up though

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

I don't know, results only started to dip from that Liverpool game on and up until that point were averaging about a point a game, that would have kept us up fairly comfortably

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I don't know, results only started to dip from that Liverpool game on and up until that point were averaging about a point a game, that would have kept us up fairly comfortably
    our xg stats suggested we were the worst team in the league from the start - it usually catches up with you in the end.

we might not have finished bottom under Malky but I think we would still have gone down.

our xg stats suggested we were the worst team in the league from the start - it usually catches up with you in the end.
    'From the start'? Is that so? Even after we beat Man City in the opening game?
    My memory is that we had a slightly easier run-in of fixtures to the end of the season after MM was dismissed.

My memory is that we had a slightly easier run-in of fixtures to the end of the season after MM was dismissed.
    lol Malky was sacked on the 27th December, I think the run in was the same as everyone elses

We had a pretty easy run in at the end of the season - West Brom, Palace, Southampton, Stoke, Sunderland, Newcastle, Chelsea. Picked up 5 points and got embarrassed in back to back humiliations in the North East

we might not have finished bottom under Malky but I think we would still have gone down.
    That's a surprise, I don't recall us ever looking massively out of our depth under Mackay

Me too I thought we would go down under Malky, he never had it in him for me at Premier level. With the Sala situation that will always be an unknown but as Warnock proved with the likes of Decordova-Reid you couldn't always rely upon him to pick his best players when required.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Me too I thought we would go down under Malky, he never had it in him for me at Premier level. With the Sala situation that will always be an unknown but as Warnock proved with the likes of Decordova-Reid you couldn't always rely upon him to pick his best players when required.
    yeah our best attacking players were zohore, Murphy and decordova Reid, and we didn't play them all together until the last game of the season I think

lol Malky was sacked on the 27th December, I think the run in was the same as everyone elses
    I knew that, but I think our home games in the second half of the season were easier (on paper at least).
    All academic now.

Warnock use to wax lyrical about the board and the owner too.

Under Malky we were getting progressively deeper every week to the stage we were practically defending on our goal line at Anfield! Despite the bright start and a few decent results at home, we were only going in one direction, Ole got us there in a different way.

Shows what decent managers can do at champ level….did it despite the board. Tan did invest quite heavily for this level in the red if I recall, imagine spending £25 million now?

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    Warnock use to wax lyrical about the board and the owner too.
    Playing the game I reckon….