+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BBC

Re: BBC

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I don't doubt it but I've got faith that you could be too.
    It's just talking about football and watching highlights, it's easy to think anyone could do it, but I would probably be awkward and shite in front of the camera, as I suspect most of us would be

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    It's just talking about football and watching highlights, it's easy to think anyone could do it, but I would probably be awkward and shite in front of the camera, as I suspect most of us would be
    I wouldn't be and I've got faith you wouldn't be either after some practice and training. In fact I'm going to back you and put your name forward ☺️. It would be a wonderful way of saving money and introducing egalitarianism. By the way I'm in favour of ditching the TV licence and I'd like BBC funded by taxation, not subscription.

I wouldn't be and I've got faith you wouldn't be either after some practice and training. In fact I'm going to back you and put your name forward ☺️. It would be a wonderful way of saving money and introducing egalitarianism. By the way I'm in favour of ditching the TV licence and I'd like BBC funded by taxation, not subscription.
    Presenting is a skill, and it's not a coincidence that it's well paid as most really can't do it well and make it look effortless. If you'd be good at it, you should give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Presenting is a skill, and it's not a coincidence that it's well paid as most really can't do it well and make it look effortless. If you'd be good at it, you should give it a try.
    Yes perhaps you're right, thanks for your confidence. Just about all skills can be learnt.

Yes perhaps you're right, thanks for your confidence. Just about all skills can be learnt.
    You can give me 10% of your salary as your mentor.

You can give me 10% of your salary as your mentor.
    Sounds good to me 👍

Why not record a 2 minute demo and post it on here for us all to see how good you are

Why not record a 2 minute demo and post it on here for us all to see how good you are
    Good idea, perhaps we can do a duet.

Good idea, perhaps we can do a duet.
    I'm not interested, I already know I'd be shite at it

Might want to check your workings on that. Ant and Dec are on £3.3m just for I'm A Celebrity according to reports - a three year golden handcuffs deal worth £40m.
    it

Those two may well be earning very big bucks but I'm guessing that particular wage is a stand out on a private media company and paid by the revenue not the taxpayer , you need to consider all of the BBC labilities , from property , backroom , buildings facility contracts ,new builds , etc etc it dwarfs most private media companies .

£4.0 billion is crazy money, never mind the pension liability its not just about Ant and Dec v 90 minute a week 1.3 million Gary Lineker .

I'm not interested, I already know I'd be shite at it
    I'm rooting for you; I'm sure you'd do really well.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    it

Those two may well be earning very big bucks but I'm guessing that particular wage is a stand out on a private media company and paid by the revenue not the taxpayer , you need to consider all of the BBC labilities , from property , backroom , buildings facility contracts ,new builds , etc etc it dwarfs most private media companies .

£4.0 billion is crazy money, never mind the pension liability its not just about Ant and Dec v 90 minute a week 1.3 million Gary Lineker .
    But your post was about salaries of presenters.

Do you know how ITV get the money to pay their salaries/building expenses/and so on? I'll give you a clue, the same pocket that BBC money comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Considering the BBC as we know it will be changed by the end of the decade I thought I’d have a read of where the license fee actually goes.

https://downloads.bbc.co.uk/aboutthe...-21.pdf#page34

Does seem like Wales gets a good deal if your a supporter of the Welsh language
    Westminster used to pay a large subsidy for Welsh language broadcasts. They offloaded that onto the BBC a few years ago and now the Beeb has to fund it all.

This isn't the first time Westminster has performed a sleight of hand with the BBC. We all remember the issue about free TV licences for the elderly, which the Government decided not to fund any more and expected the Beeb to do so. The BBC refused.

It is quite incredible and they pay way above other TV operators
    Just making stuff up as passing it off as fact as usual then

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Just making stuff up as passing it off as fact as usual then
    https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...b0a03aba868b4f

Sunak has just written off 4.3b of fraudulent covid grant claims, gas and electric doubling by end of this year, fuel prices up 30%, inflation at a 30 year high but the usual gammons celebrating a 35p a week freeze on the licence fee like it’s the answer to all the county’s problems 😂

No wonder the country’s ****ed.

Exactly, still a good wedge but nowhere near "way above other TV operators"

And it goes down the line, BBC pays crew less than independent companies as well.

Just completely making stuff up

First Team

It is quite incredible and they pay way above other TV operators
    No they don't. You're peddling untruths.

For example, Tony Romo reputedly gets $18M a year from CBS. What Lineker gets is a drop in the bucket in comparison.

Isn't the issue here less about the quality of the BBC (which is very high and world renowned) and less about any perceived bias (which there probably is some of but is likely overblown) and more to do with how it is funded?

A flat rate for everyone irrespective of income and whether they even use the service is in any other scenario a pretty blunt and regressive funding model, is it not?

I'm okay with paying it. I don't have sky and I only recently got netflix so I watch far more of the BBC than most, but quite clearly it is funded in a way that seems increasingly unsustainable, especially when lots of people are concerned about bias or quality, whilst still being compelled to pay for it?

Like I said, no issue from me, but I can see why people resent it tbh

In the interests of promoting it - I recommend the current short series on Andy Warhol. It's fantastic
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0b5mp52

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Isn't the issue here less about the quality of the BBC (which is very high and world renowned) and less about any perceived bias (which there probably is some of but is likely overblown) and more to do with how it is funded?

A flat rate for everyone irrespective of income and whether they even use the service is in any other scenario a pretty blunt and regressive funding model, is it not?

I'm okay with paying it. I don't have sky and I only recently got netflix so I watch far more of the BBC than most, but quite clearly it is funded in a way that seems increasingly unsustainable, especially when lots of people are concerned about bias or quality, whilst still being compelled to pay for it?

Like I said, no issue from me, but I can see why people resent it tbh

In the interests of promoting it - I recommend the current short series on Andy Warhol. It's fantastic
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0b5mp52
    Jimbo, seek some counseling. OTOH you've noticed how amazing and cheap the BBC is, OTOH you're arguing against its very existence in its current form by mithering about its funding mechanism.

Those on the right want to defend it.
    Those on the left accuse it of right wing bias.

I believe John Humphries and Nigel Rees and just want it fixed and back as the great institution that it has been for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    Jimbo, seek some counseling. OTOH you've noticed how amazing and cheap the BBC is, OTOH you're arguing against its very existence in its current form by mithering about its funding mechanism.
    Thanks for the condescension. I suppose it's a small upgrade in terms of your pleasantness.

It's called being open minded, seeing two sides to a situation and coming to a balanced opinion old boy. I'll make it simpler: I personally don't have a problem with the BBC. But I understand and respect that others do.

Understanding other opinions and not just insulting them is something you would do well to consider adopting.

And on the BBC, it's output and it's funding model, I can see that. There's two sides to the story - in fact, there's about five sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Those on the right want to defend it.
    Those on the left accuse it of right wing bias.

I believe John Humphries and Nigel Rees and just want it fixed and back as the great institution that it has been for so long.
    *Defund

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    *Defund
    Pretty crucial typo that

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Thanks for the condescension. I suppose it's a small upgrade in terms of your pleasantness.

It's called being open minded, seeing two sides to a situation and coming to a balanced opinion old boy. I'll make it simpler: I personally don't have a problem with the BBC. But I understand and respect that others do.

Understanding other opinions and not just insulting them is something you would do well to consider adopting.

And on the BBC, it's output and it's funding model, I can see that. There's two sides to the story - in fact, there's about five sides.
    One could argue you take yourself far too seriously.