+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BBC

BBC

Considering the BBC as we know it will be changed by the end of the decade I thought I’d have a read of where the license fee actually goes.

https://downloads.bbc.co.uk/aboutthe...-21.pdf#page34

Does seem like Wales gets a good deal if your a supporter of the Welsh language

Re: BBC

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Considering the BBC as we know it will be changed by the end of the decade I thought I’d have a read of where the license fee actually goes.

Maybe Drakeford could take it over and fund it when it goes, and run his own channel.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

The £ numbers involved with the BBC are eye watering. They get £3.7 billion from license fees plus £1.4billion from commercial activities....over £5bn total.

To give it some perspective the Wales NHS costs £1.4bn a year.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Maybe Drakeford could take it over and fund it when it goes, and run his own channel.
    You should be on Have I Got News For You with biting satire like this

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    The £ numbers involved with the BBC are eye watering. They get £3.7 billion from license fees plus £1.4billion from commercial activities....over £5bn total.

Totally agree. The NHS needs more.

I'm actually shocked how cheap the Welsh NHS is. Fairplay universal healthcare is fantastic but could do with a bit more funding.

strange comparison, the whole of the BBC with the NHS in just Wales that has about 5% of the UK population?

Why not compare the BBC with the operating costs of Netflix (which is massively higher)?

Also the majority of the money spent by the BBC is spent in this country, so will return to the exchequer eventually. I'm sure I read somewhere that each £1 of money spent on the BBC returns £10 to the economy or something stupid like that. And it is a very important "soft power" for the UK.

Really we should be looking to massively increase the BBC funding, so they are able to properly compete on the global stage with the Americans

The wages are eye watering , the bulging back staff numbers employed are eyewatering, the new posh building cost are eye watering , time to get this one off the tax payers back and allow it to become subscription .

Put all the money into healthcare.

The Welsh NHS has a budget much bigger than that. I'm pretty certain its about £8bn - its generally about half of everything that the Welsh Govt spends money on

The wages are eye watering , the bulging back staff numbers employed are eyewatering, the new posh building cost are eye watering , time to get this one off the tax payers back and allow it to become subscription .

The wages are often a lot cheaper than the equivalent jobs at ITV or elsewhere, that's just what it costs.

You could fund the BBC for 10 years on what the government have wasted on a non functional test and trace system.

For many older people, the job that the BBC does to help improve their mental well-being is a form of healthcare.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    For many older people, the job that the BBC does to help improve their mental well-being is a form of healthcare.
    my ex in-laws are both staunch Tory supporters, in an incredibly safe Tory seat, and they would be very much against cuts to the BBC, and I suspect they aren't alone in that. the Tories are walking a dangerous path on this one

That's not right. The budget for Cardiff and Vale NHST is £1.3bn, and I know, because I work for them.
    So the whole of Wales must be a whole lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    That's not right. The budget for Cardiff and Vale NHST is £1.3bn, and I know, because I work for them.
    So the whole of Wales must be a whole lot more.
    Cardiff gets everything

Wages in the media are simply unreal. When I read that Gary Lineker earns £1.3m a year, for what is basically 90 minutes once a week, it's not that I don't believe it - it's that I can't see how they can justify it. And Zoe Ball is apparently on a similar amount, yet her radio show has been losing listeners since the day she took over. But at least she works five days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    As is freeview

Wages in the media are simply unreal. When I read that Gary Lineker earns £1.3m a year, for what is basically 90 minutes once a week, it's not that I don't believe it - it's that I can't see how they can justify it. And Zoe Ball is apparently on a similar amount, yet her radio show has been losing listeners since the day she took over. But at least she works five days a week.
    It is quite incredible and they pay way above other TV operators

Might want to check your workings on that. Ant and Dec are on £3.3m just for I'm A Celebrity according to reports - a three year golden handcuffs deal worth £40m.

As is freeview
    If the BBC changes, I'd imagine the whole system change too so I wouldn't rely on that.

they really don't

As is freeview
    The BBC also has a profound impact on the quality of other broadcasters output in the UK.

Do you think ITV would bother investing in producing quality dramas if the BBC output was diminished? they would quickly revert to cheaply made tv, the cheapest that can get enough viewers for their ads as possible.

Go and watch TV in France or Australia and you'll see how shite it will get

Totally agree. The BBC could do something innovative and hire any schmuck from the street to host MOD on average wage. Nothing against Gary but it's the football we tune in to watch, not the presenter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Totally agree. The BBC could do something innovative and hire any schmuck from the street to host MOD on average wage. Nothing against Gary but it's the football we tune in to watch, not the presenter.
    Lineker has been an excellent presenter

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Lineker has been an excellent presenter
    I don't doubt it but I've got faith that you could be too.