+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A preview of what’s to come in the cost of living crisis?

A preview of what’s to come in the cost of living crisis?

I’m very much a creature of habit when it comes to breakfast, it’s kippers on Sunday and porridge every other day of the week and, ideally, it has to be Tesco’s Organic Porridge which I discovered about ten years ago. Being organic, it’s always been that bit more expensive, but at £1.30 when I first came across it, it hardly broke the bank. Down the years, it went up 10p a time every now and then and was £1.60 when I bought a couple of bags just before Christmas, so I did a double take yesterday when I went to buy some more and found it had gone up to £2! Are the Russians stockpiling oats as well as gas I ask myself, how else can a swingeing 25 per cent rise be justified, or is it a sign of things to come? I’m used to seeing the total cost of my weekly shop at Aldi going up, but that’s a slow, gradual climb - I’m not aware of anything else rising at 25 per cent a time, so I wonder if it’s just a one off or can we start to expect the same on other products?

Re: A preview of what’s to come in the cost of living crisis?

In my opinion we’ll see this as a trend. There is a gathering trend of global shortages across many diverse commodities which isn’t going to go away quickly. The suppliers in my industry are predicting 3 to 4 years to recover, those include electronic components, glass, steel, cardboard, batteries, motors and others. Whilst not a direct influence on your porridge, there will be an indirect cost to manufacture, package, transport etc.

International

It might also be part of the result of ordinary workers getting higher wages, and I'm sure no one on here would begrudge them that!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’m very much a creature of habit when it comes to breakfast, it’s kippers on Sunday and porridge every other day of the week and, ideally, it has to be Tesco’s Organic Porridge which I discovered about ten years ago. Being organic, it’s always been that bit more expensive, but at £1.30 when I first came across it, it hardly broke the bank. Down the years, it went up 10p a time every now and then and was £1.60 when I bought a couple of bags just before Christmas, so I did a double take yesterday when I went to buy some more and found it had gone up to £2! Are the Russians stockpiling oats as well as gas I ask myself, how else can a swingeing 25 per cent rise be justified, or is it a sign of things to come? I’m used to seeing the total cost of my weekly shop at Aldi going up, but that’s a slow, gradual climb - I’m not aware of anything else rising at 25 per cent a time, so I wonder if it’s just a one off or can we start to expect the same on other products?
    I hear you TOBW, I'm a massive porridge fan and whilst I get a cheaper type, it's gone up. The answer almost certainly is here:

Global oat prices have more than doubled in the last 6-9 months. Fallen slightly in the last month or so but not by enough and too soon to see the impact on the shelves. I'm not sure why, but presumably the rise is weather related somewhere?

This link should work
    https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/oat

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I hear you TOBW, I'm a massive porridge fan and whilst I get a cheaper type, it's gone up. The answer almost certainly is here:

Global oat prices have more than doubled in the last 6-9 months. I'm not sure why, but presumably weather related somewhere?

This link should work
    Thanks for that, using that along with what Des says makes it sound like we can expect similar rises for other things in the months ahead.

All I can say is that I'm glad I'm sixty six in just over a fortnight's time, so I'll start getting the state pension. I've been thinking that would give me enough to cover the rise in utility prices and still allow me to put a few hundred pounds in savings every month to eventually pay for the jobs my house has needed done to it since I moved in nearly four years ago - maybe my "few hundred pounds" in savings every month is going to be nothing of the sort?

A few stupid questions cos that's what I am

Who confirms there is a shortage of x - is it just an excuse to rsue prices

Why doesn't nothing happen when it is found.out to be a con e.g. Petrol. A couple of weeks ago prices should have or could have come down by about 12p but went up by 2p - nothing happened except the companies say they bought it when the prices were higher yet when prices go up they go up as an immediate response

Does anybody seriously think that prices will ever return if there is a glut of a product

Does anybody think anyone in Westminster gives a hoot - we must never find ourselves with anyone in power with that much of a majority

Just my musings.....

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post

Why doesn't nothing happen when it is found.out to be a con e.g. Petrol. A couple of weeks ago prices should have or could have come down by about 12p but went up by 2p - nothing happened except the companies say they bought it when the prices were higher yet when prices go up they go up as an immediate response

Does anybody seriously think that prices will ever return if there is a glut of a product

Does anybody think anyone in Westminster gives a hoot - we must never find ourselves with anyone in power with that much of a majority

Just my musings.....
    Can't answer most of your questions, but I agree on petrol and I think energy prices will eventually come down from whatever peak they reach later this year.

See inflation is up to 5.4%, the highest figure for thirty years.

It’s going to be a nightmare few years for any chancellor or similar around the globe as agreed this just can’t fall into place

No money for increasing welfare
    Tax rises would be hammering the middle
    And laden with debt from furlough schemes or similar

Somethings got to give

As fuel prices soar, there will be mass protests followed by inevitable rioting.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    It’s going to be a nightmare few years for any chancellor or similar around the globe as agreed this just can’t fall into place

No money for increasing welfare
    Tax rises would be hammering the middle
    And laden with debt from furlough schemes or similar

Somethings got to give
    I mean the obvious answer is to increase taxes on the mega wealthy and to crack down on tax avoidance but that will never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    It might also be part of the result of ordinary workers getting higher wages, and I'm sure no one on here would begrudge them that!
    😂😂😂😂😂

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60050699

Soaring food costs and the energy bill crisis are driving consumer prices up at their fastest rate in nearly 30 years, latest figures show.

Most businesses use the inflation card to slip a further profit increase into the mix. It's a huge opportunity for some.

Inflation is at a 40 year high in the US.

There are noticeable gaps on the shelves at the grocery store and The State run Liquor Stores are are massively understocked.

Forgive my cynicism but I am old enough to remember the potato shortages in 1975 which were blamed on poor weather affecting the harvest that year. The price of potatoes rocketed 3 to 4 fold. The following year supply was back to normal but did the cost of potatoes return to previous levels...did they 'eck as like!

I can accept that COVID lockdowns across the world have severely impacted everything and that things are gradually returning to normal but I cannot believe that all of a sudden economies are suddenly booming beyond pre-COVID levels causing a shortage of basic raw materials. There has to be an element of profiteering in all this.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

Global oat prices have more than doubled in the last 6-9 months. Fallen slightly in the last month or so but not by enough and too soon to see the impact on the shelves. I'm not sure why, but presumably the rise is weather related somewhere?

This link should work
    Surely we grow our own oats here, mainly in Scotlando, so what on earth have global prices got to do with anything? If I go to my local butcher for a chicken, would his price be partly governed by global chicken prices?

It’s ok everyone Nadine Dorres is freezing the TV Licence and the 40p per week it will save will keep the bailiffs from the door.

Try Wilton organic porridge oats..25 Kg £34.00 including delivery...

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    I mean the obvious answer is to increase taxes on the mega wealthy and to crack down on tax avoidance but that will never happen.
    Try actually doing that

First Team

I'd expect a series of interest rate hikes as a response to inflation. Once the Fed starts hiking rates in March the rest of the World will likely follow.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Surely we grow our own oats here, mainly in Scotlando, so what on earth have global prices got to do with anything? If I go to my local butcher for a chicken, would his price be partly governed by global chicken prices?
    Commodity prices are mostly determined globally by the balance of demand and supply. Why would a Scottish oat producer accept less than the global market price for her oats?

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Try Wilton organic porridge oats..25 Kg £34.00 including delivery...
    I will, it’s got very good reviews and is nearly half the price of those Tesco oats - thanks John.

The world is having supply issues, My Brother-in-law ( who was is in Orlando for christmas ) mentioned the massive gaps on the shelves in Walmart and Target, I wanted a few bags of different M&M's, he facetimed me to show me the shelves on a few isles, it was mental, absolutely loads of spaces, then he showed me the prices, of course they have risen since I last went ( 4 years ago ) but the rises were certainly more than here

cool story eh

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post

Just my musings.....
    We need to move away from our dependency on gas and oil. The countries and companies that produce it must be coining it in and it has an impact on everything we buy.