+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A preview of what’s to come in the cost of living crisis?

Re: A preview of what’s to come in the cost of living crisis?

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    The world is having supply issues, My Brother-in-law ( who was is in Orlando for christmas ) mentioned the massive gaps on the shelves in Walmart and Target, I wanted a few bags of different M&M's, he facetimed me to show me the shelves on a few isles, it was mental, absolutely loads of spaces, then he showed me the prices, of course they have risen since I last went ( 4 years ago ) but the rises were certainly more than here

cool story eh
    Bloody Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    Commodity prices are mostly determined globally by the balance of demand and supply. Why would a Scottish oat producer accept less than the global market price for her oats?
    A global market price doesn't guarantee the producer that price. At the moment, taking Brexit as an example, accepting less from British traders might be acceptable in the face of the paperwork mountain they face to export it.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    A global market price doesn't guarantee the producer that price. At the moment, taking Brexit as an example, accepting less from British traders might be acceptable in the face of the paperwork mountain they face to export it.
    Note my use of "mostly". Clearly the net price is the important determinant and that includes freight, administration, insurance, tariffs etc. A case in point is natural gas in the US. It's difficult and costly to export so it's cheap in the US. Oats from Scotland, I'd venture, not so difficult/costly to sell in the global marketplace 'though I freely admit Brexit hasn't helped with net prices for goods from Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    Note my use of "mostly". Clearly the net price is the important determinant and that includes freight, administration, insurance, tariffs etc. A case in point is natural gas in the US. It's difficult and costly to export so it's cheap in the US. Oats from Scotland, I'd venture, not so difficult/costly to sell in the global marketplace 'though I freely admit Brexit hasn't helped with net prices for goods from Scotland.
    So there's a big element of sell local, unless you're in a situation where another market would give you huge money for your product that you have no chance of getting on your own doorstep.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Try actually doing that
    It's pretty simple, if you want to do business here you pay your taxes. Switzerland doesn't have amazon because they wouldn't pay taxes, has their economy crumbled? No.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’m very much a creature of habit when it comes to breakfast, it’s kippers on Sunday and porridge every other day of the week and, ideally, it has to be Tesco’s Organic Porridge which I discovered about ten years ago. Being organic, it’s always been that bit more expensive, but at £1.30 when I first came across it, it hardly broke the bank. Down the years, it went up 10p a time every now and then and was £1.60 when I bought a couple of bags just before Christmas, so I did a double take yesterday when I went to buy some more and found it had gone up to £2! Are the Russians stockpiling oats as well as gas I ask myself, how else can a swingeing 25 per cent rise be justified, or is it a sign of things to come? I’m used to seeing the total cost of my weekly shop at Aldi going up, but that’s a slow, gradual climb - I’m not aware of anything else rising at 25 per cent a time, so I wonder if it’s just a one off or can we start to expect the same on other products?
    Good thread on Twitter regarding the increase in food prices. https://twitter.com/bootstrapcook/st...697909252?s=21

You do know that there has been a global pandemic on in the last two years don't you ? You cant blame everything on brexit, no matter how much you didn't like the result of the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    You do know that there has been a global pandemic on in the last two years don't you ? You cant blame everything on brexit, no matter how much you didn't like the result of the vote.
    People predict bad thing will happen, others deny and call it project fear, bad thing happens, people still deny it.

Incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Inflation is at a 40 year high in the US.

There are noticeable gaps on the shelves at the grocery store and The State run Liquor Stores are are massively understocked.
    Hang on, off topic i know, the US government runs shops that sells booze?

Quote Originally Posted by Punxsutawney Phil View Post
    Hang on, off topic i know, the US government runs shops that sells booze?
    I know at least in some states the licences rules are that you have to be a state sanctioned store or something like that

For example, when I briefly lived in Pennsylvania in 2002 you could never buy booze in supermarkets.

America is strange for a country so fond of free markets that it has quirks like this

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    People predict bad thing will happen, others deny and call it project fear, bad thing happens, people still deny it.

Incredible.
    Okay, I predict every team in the championship will lose this weekend.

Therefore when some of them do lose, I can claim I was right on those.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Surely we grow our own oats here, mainly in Scotlando, so what on earth have global prices got to do with anything? If I go to my local butcher for a chicken, would his price be partly governed by global chicken prices?
    Yes because if he can get s higher price for the chicken overseas because of a shortage he won't sell it to you. Same with oats. The farmer will sell to the highest payer. If he happens to be in another country tough luck quaker UK

TOBW.

I saw this and thought of you..
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/foodanddri...cid=entnewsntp

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    TOBW.

I saw this and thought of you..
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/foodanddri...cid=entnewsntp
    I took Lisvane Blue’s advice and bought 25kg of Wilton’s organic porridge, so I won’t be buying any supermarket porridge for months! Really surprised to see which one was rated the best in that survey and I could try Lidls if I’m not too impressed with the Wilton’s stuff. I was a little shocked to see Tesco’s rated so low because their organic brand is very nice and it was only the huge price rise that got me thinking of a change.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I took Lisvane Blue’s advice and bought 25kg of Wilton’s organic porridge, so I won’t be buying any supermarket porridge for months! Really surprised to see which one was rated the best in that survey and I could try Lidls if I’m not too impressed with the Wilton’s stuff. I was a little shocked to see Tesco’s rated so low because their organic brand is very nice and it was only the huge price rise that got me thinking of a change.
    25kg is a lot of porridge if you aren't sure if you'll like it yet.

Or are you stockpiling it in case the price goes up again.