+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squad for next season

Re: Squad for next season

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I think a mass clear out will be a tonic for the club, and we need to focus on bringing in fresh faces to mesh with our current crop of youngsters.

Since we dropped back from the Premier last time the club has been in free fall on and off the field. If we don't make radical changes soon we will continue to drift.
    Agree I'd let all of the out of contracts go .

Doubt any would take a wage cut .

Many are ageing.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I hope the club re-sign Smithies, Morrison and Ralls.
    Ralls, Smithies and one of Morrison/Flint. I'd probably lean towards Morrison cos he's Morrison, if that makes sense. He's a leader, captain, keeps everyone in line, is well liked. They don't grow on trees. However, we can't keep someone cos he's a good bloke, so he needs to get back to his best sooner rather than later.

The rest, hard pass. We could be freeing up about 150k a week.

It looks to me like Morrison's body has succumbed to the many knocks and injuries he has sustained over his career. He's not as imposing as he once was, which was a massive part of his game. He was always slow but a decent athlete for a big man, i don't think that he can play in the manner he once did, and he knows it judging on the way he plays now. I wouldn't keep him.

Ralls is a tricky one for me, he does offer more than the rest but that isn't really saying much. It could be argued that what Ralls does well could be enhanced with players around him who can create space which may give him more options and more time. Who knows!

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Ralls, Smithies and one of Morrison/Flint. I'd probably lean towards Morrison cos he's Morrison, if that makes sense. He's a leader, captain, keeps everyone in line, is well liked. They don't grow on trees. However, we can't keep someone cos he's a good bloke, so he needs to get back to his best sooner rather than later.

The rest, hard pass. We could be freeing up about 150k a week.
    I'd settle for Morrison getting back to his average. He's been absolutely terrible this season.

Based on this season’s form, I’d only be looking to get Ralls on a new deal, but I would consider offering a contract to Gavin Whyte and maybe Ciaron Brown if we went down.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Based on this season’s form, I’d only be looking to get Ralls on a new deal, but I would consider offering a contract to Gavin Whyte and maybe Ciaron Brown if we went down.
    What about Smithies.?

Or do you think Ratcliffe can step up? Ive never seen him.

Id keep Smithies but I think hes likely to reject a contract with us as he is one who will definitely get a better offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    What about Smithies.?

Or do you think Ratcliffe can step up? Ive never seen him.

Id keep Smithies but I think hes likely to reject a contract with us as he is one who will definitely get a better offer.
    No, I don’t think I would, I believe Ratcliffe can definitely be a back up at this stage of his career and I wouldn’t say there’s a great deal of difference between Phillips and Smithies.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    The alternative is to renew their contracts…
    That’s a lot of wages and I dont think we need them anymore. Morrison and smithies have been here quite a while and have served the club pretty well….did we pay money for vaulks?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    That’s a lot of wages and I dont think we need them anymore. Morrison and smithies have been here quite a while and have served the club pretty well….did we pay money for vaulks?
    Yep, about £2m

Whyte is already under contract with us next season.

Have we mentioned Josh Murphy?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Have we mentioned Josh Murphy?
    never heard of him

If anything, I’d say you are underestimating the number of new players to come in, I think we may need as much as ten newcomers.
    If all of the out of contract players leave we will need at least 10 new ones. Our loanee will also go, so that’s 11, plus Tomlin gone and we were already thin in the ground.

Think we should try to keep at least Ralls, and one of Flint/Morrison, one of Vaulks/ Pack depending on what they will accept and of course what is offered elsewhere. Maybe Smithies too depending on what he will accept.

The squad is paper thin and although we’ve been poor this year I wouldn’t put all the blame on these guys - there have been a lot of background problems this season… same players got us to 2 decent finishes last 2 seasons.

Not as easy as many think to bring in better, although there should be a fair bit of budget released to bring in some quality additions

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    If all of the out of contract players leave we will need at least 10 new ones. Our loanee will also go, so that’s 11, plus Tomlin gone and we were already thin in the ground.

Think we should try to keep at least Ralls, and one of Flint/Morrison, one of Vaulks/ Pack depending on what they will accept and of course what is offered elsewhere. Maybe Smithies too depending on what he will accept.

The squad is paper thin and although we’ve been poor this year I wouldn’t put all the blame on these guys - there have been a lot of background problems this season… same players got us to 2 decent finishes last 2 seasons.

Not as easy as many think to bring in better, although there should be a fair bit of budget released to bring in some quality additions
    I would say it’s more an unbalanced squad than paper thin.

If people want going to have their chance you have to include them in the squad and can’t have a huge squad of experienced pros.

Brown has done nothing. Sorry to disagree but the sooner he's playing somewhere else the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Brown has done nothing. Sorry to disagree but the sooner he's playing somewhere else the better.
    I disagree. His aimless long passing is something to behold, that rare ability to miss a teammate by 50 yards is talent that cannot be taught.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    One rather sobering thought - if we let the contracts of Morrison, Flint, Bacuna, Pack, Vaulks and Smithies all run down, we'll have paid over £20m in transfer fees for those 6 alone and have got not a penny back in transfer fees.
    Ah, but think of all the magic moments they have given us. 🙈

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I hope the club re-sign Smithies, Morrison and Ralls.
    Agreed.

They are the three I would re-sign.

But depends on wages.