Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: FT: BRISTOL CITY 3 - 2 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Re: FT: BRISTOL CITY 3 - 2 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Do we have to play any of them ?
    That's a fair point. I'm not sure we'd concede more by playing a back 0

Re: BRISTOL CITY v CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfSiamIAm View Post
    While I agree that it is not all on the manager, the defenders are probably performing above their ability as it is. I don’t want to be disrespectful to them, but I mean top they are top end league one players/bottom championship level, so can Hudson can improve them even more?
    It's the perfect storm, isn't it? Lack of ability, a formation that doesn't suit, manager naivety.

You know what. Thinking about it more, I don't think there's any formation that would suit our squad. We're missing key technical ability and/or experience all over the park.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Are the central defenders who’ve been so poor this season going to be transformed by a switch to four at the back? They’ve looked poor Championship players since August and I wouldn’t expect any change because we decide to use two of them rather than three.
    Good point, as I hinted at earlier, are they already performing above their level.
    However, Magginis looks capable and if Morrison can overcome injuries and ageing, maybe they can combine to make an effective centre half pairing?

We let a poor Bristol City side carve us open time and time again.

Some of the senior players are really letting the youngsters down.

So naive, slow and making such simple mistakes

Are the central defenders who’ve been so poor this season going to be transformed by a switch to four at the back? They’ve looked poor Championship players since August and I wouldn’t expect any change because we decide to use two of them rather than three.
    For me it would be more of a positive to have an extra midfielder.

It probably won't improve our defending but perhaps more protection infront would be beneficial.

The defence is awful but again today its left badly exposed time and again.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Watters looked hopeless. Even his goal looked like he mis head the ball. The midfield looked a shambles and the defence clueless. Doyle looked neat and tidy but tired and was rightly subbed. We have a lot of League1/2 standard players and we must only have an outside chance to avoid relegation.
    How can you criticise a player who has come on with 25 minutes to go and scored. Unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    They can't play Bob, all three of them are a liability with the ball at their feet. All they can do is react and stop players, after that they offer **** all. Have a look when they have time on the ball, they shit themselves and panic. Can't have three like that, one maybe, not all three of them. If I was an opposing manager then I'd tell my players to let them have the ball, it's a gift for the opposition.
    The back five highlights that as well as rather than having a midfielder come take the ball off them as would happen with a back 4, it's up to the defenders alone to pass into the midfield. The system we play really does not work with the players we have, it leaves us short all over the pitch. I know some people say this shape gives you more attackers, but it clearly doesn't for us and it clearly doesn't work in defence. The centre backs clearly aren't comfortable with this shape, nor are they comfortable on the ball, it's a recipe for disaster.

Just a few things before I go that I feel epitomise our problems after watching a Bristol City side that had to make two early subs and got hammered by Fulham. Players like Semenyo strike the ball first time and hit the target when we take touch after touch too many and miss or give the goalie an easy time. They had the pace on the counter we don't have (to counter). They face the opposition goal when we turn our back to it (I'm looking at you Pack) and then hook the ball over to nobody and concede possession.

That's it. I'm done for the day. The mural gets painted over and I've just lost 90 odd minutes watching a terrible advert for Championship football.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    The back five highlights that as well as rather than having a midfielder come take the ball off them as would happen with a back 4, it's up to the defenders alone to pass into the midfield. The system we play really does not work with the players we have, it leaves us short all over the pitch. I know some people say this shape gives you more attackers, but it clearly doesn't for us and it clearly doesn't work in defence. The centre backs clearly aren't comfortable with this shape, nor are they comfortable on the ball, it's a recipe for disaster.
    Why can't the manager see this? It's so obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    We have a lot of League1/2 standard players and we must only have an outside chance to avoid relegation.
    Barnsley are abysmal. Two wins all season. Terrible side.

Peterborough are as poor as City and are currently 4 points worse off with a significantly inferior goal difference.

Derby have had a massive points deduction, are losing players weekly, can't sign anyone and may not even make it to the end of the season, They're in dire straights.

Reading have had a six point deduction, a big injury list and are in freefall. They've won once in their last nine games. Even City can better that record.

This is very, very poor Cardiff side, but the club is extremely fortunate that there are four clubs who are in even worse situations. In an ordinary season, this City team would be nailed on for relegation, but not this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    You know what. Thinking about it more, I don't think there's any formation that would suit our squad. We're missing key technical ability and/or experience all over the park.
    Actually, when you put it like that, and add in the lack of leadership and guidance to the youngsters from some of our senior “experienced” players, a lot of the issues are laid bare.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Barnsley are abysmal. Two wins all season. Terrible side.

Peterborough are as poor as City and are currently 4 points worse off with a significantly inferior goal difference.

Derby have had a massive points deduction, are losing players weekly, can't sign anyone and may not even make it to the end of the season, They're in dire straights.

Reading have had a six point deduction, a big injury list and are in freefall. They've won once in their last nine games. Even City can better that record.

This is very, very poor Cardiff side, but the club is extremely fortunate that there are four clubs who are in even worse situations. In an ordinary season, this City team would be nailed on for relegation, but not this year.
    It says it all that despite a dreadful 8 game losing run Cardiff aren't in the bottom 3. Terrible quality Championship this year thankfully

It’s as though there’s a lasso around our back three, someone pulls it and they all move as one in the same direction

Kieffer Moore is still a disgrace though in my opinion and is still on the missing list through either his naivety or stubbornness yet still picking up a decent wage.

Three observations about today's game:

Firstly, Tommy Doyle looked decent on the ball and he showed glimpses of why he's done so well in the junior ranks, but he did look a little lightweight. He was brushed off the ball easily on several occasions, which is maybe an indication of why he barely got a kick at Hamburg. He certainly has ability, though - that much was obvious. Shame he wasn't on the field when Ralls put in that awful free-kick in stoppage time, I'm sure he'd have done better with it.

Secondly, I thought Mark Harris had a stinker. He looked really poor today.

Thirdly, what is the point in Morison persisting with this three-man central defence? Everyone knows it doesn't work - no clean sheets in 26 games is proof enough of that. NG isn't a wing-back and Nelson is League One standard. Surely it's time to try something different, as the defensive set-up is a joke.

It says it all that despite a dreadful 8 game losing run Cardiff aren't in the bottom 3. Terrible quality Championship this year thankfully
    Reading 1-0 up. So much for my reasoning.

It can't hurt to try. Surely Morison can see the current formation and personnel isn't working

We won't change it now; we'd have to give Leeds and Man City a whole new presentation.

Reading 1-0 up. So much for my reasoning.

All changed now, maybe your reasoning is ok

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    We won't change it now; we'd have to give Leeds and Man City a whole new presentation.

With a new manager and, hopefully, a new board.

Three observations about today's game:

Firstly, Tommy Doyle looked decent on the ball and he showed glimpses of why he's done so well in the junior ranks, but he did look a little lightweight. He was brushed off the ball easily on several occasions, which is maybe an indication of why he barely got a kick at Hamburg. He certainly has ability, though - that much was obvious. Shame he wasn't on the field when Ralls put in that awful free-kick in stoppage time, I'm sure he'd have done better with it.

Secondly, I thought Mark Harris had a stinker. He looked really poor today.

Thirdly, what is the point in Morison persisting with this three-man central defence? Everyone knows it doesn't work - no clean sheets in 26 games is proof enough of that. NG isn't a wing-back and Nelson is League One standard. Surely it's time to try something different, as the defensive set-up is a joke.
    You should have put thirdly firstly and forget the rest!

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    It’s as though there’s a lasso around our back three, someone pulls it and they all move as one in the same direction

Kieffer Moore is still a disgrace though in my opinion and is still on the missing list through either his naivety or stubbornness yet still picking up a decent wage.
    "Sicknote" can do one! Spineless, 'missing in action '!

see i keep on saying... pack wouldnt make it into my fifa reserves never mind this team...

thought we started up beat for the 1st 10 15 in fairness... i always felt we will probably get turned over and we did

seems like back in the day players went into these games with such hunger... and a little skill of course, chops clinical finishes, ross too, and jay... even back in the day, searly, gabbs, baddeley they was always up for games like this

football is all stats these days and we are crap at that too

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    I'd actually been feeling a bit more positive recently. Thought there were some very small green shoots. Big setback this mind, huge game against forest next week now!
    I feel the same way. The defending is awful though.