+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How damaging is relegation to the third tier?

Re: How damaging is relegation to the third tier?

Relegation to League One would be an absolute disaster. Yes, clubs do go down, get their act together, and come back up, but not many. If we went down, our income would plummet, along with our attendances. Players would leave, and we'd have a hard job finding quality replacements. And worst of all, we could be down there for years...

I wouldn't be bothered if we were relegated, it'd give us a chance to have a good reset, give our younger players a chance to bloom and hopefully get rid of all our deadwood and rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    There were similar posts about the championship when we were struggling in the prem.

I think at best it's people taking a gloomy situation and trying be positive
    To be fair the season after we got relegated was a great opportunity to rebuild, but warnock as much as I like him did a horrible job with recruitment that transfer window.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    To be fair the season after we got relegated was a great opportunity to rebuild, but warnock as much as I like him did a horrible job with recruitment that transfer window.
    Yea but you can rebuild where you are at. If we had stopped up we would have had a bigger budget and been able to attract better players, whoever was our manager.

As we saw if you go down mistakes still happen, luck goes against you etc etc. The reduction in income alone surely can't make any rebuilding easier at a level below. Not to say its impossible I've just never understood the thinking.

I wouldn't be bothered if we were relegated, it'd give us a chance to have a good reset, give our younger players a chance to bloom and hopefully get rid of all our deadwood and rebuild.
    While I'm not bothered particularly about playing in a lower division (city have been there most of my life), however, I am not sure we need to get relegated to have a good reset, give youngsters a chance and get rid of the deadwood... surely they are all things we can do whatever division we are in.

In fact you may find that we may NOT do any of that if we get relegated as the chairman will be demanding an instant return to the championship and our youngsters maybe sacrificed for that.

A good reset is fine if you have the people to make the most of it. We don't.

Yeah I would agree with that... what we did the season we were relegated and what Warnock did when we can came was disastrous.

Football is all about money. Cutting our income significantly won't help us at all.

I think there will probably be a couple of clubs in danger of points deductions next season as well, so it might be a good opportunity to rebuild with a bit more of a buffer over relegation.

Unless of course it is us that has the points reduction, in which case I'd rather take it in the championship than in league one.

I'd prefer for us to stay up, ideally by the skin of our teeth, ie goal difference hopefully to give Tan a wake up call. Then I'd like a clear out of all the deadwood, I'd be happy to see as many as 10 go.

If all that happened Id feel we have a brighter future next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I'd prefer for us to stay up, ideally by the skin of our teeth, ie goal difference hopefully to give Tan a wake up call. Then I'd like a clear out of all the deadwood, I'd be happy to see as many as 10 go.

If all that happened Id feel we have a brighter future next season.
    The Deadwood Stage perhaps.

Why stop at League One? If we got relegated to League Two or the National League, we could get even more players off the wage bill and bring through even more youngsters from the academy.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Why stop at League One? If we got relegated to League Two or the National League, we could get even more players off the wage bill and bring through even more youngsters from the academy.
    What a cracking idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The Deadwood Stage perhaps.
    Whip Crack Away.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    A good reset is fine if you have the people to make the most of it. We don't.
    Does Tan know how to run a football club yet? That’s the big question, massive failure so far. If we do stay up he should sell up half his shares so we can buy a few players hopefully in the summer….I don’t think it would take huge funding to do it currently.

Bacuna might look like a decent player in the national league……..nah….maybe not

Imagine how many youngsters we could bring in, if we went even further down the pyramid to National League South

We could even try borrowing any up n coming youngsters off the mighty Newport Cewnty, if that was the case. it's a win/win situation, obviously
    Last edited by Mr Soul '68; 20-01-22 at 17:58. Reason: spelling

Its statistically the hardest of the four divisions to get promoted from

Last time we got relegated from Division 2, it took us 18 years to get back up. We also spent a significant amount of that time in Division 4. What is about the way the club is run presently that would make anyone think that a relegation would be a learning experience that could be turned into a positive?

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Its statistically the hardest of the four divisions to get promoted from
    Even harder than the Premier league?🙂
    We'll be fine anyway - history tells us so.
    1982/83 - promoted
    1992/93 - promoted
    2002/03 - promoted
    2012/13 - promoted
    2022/23 - ????