+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tommy Doyle deal - CONFIRMED

Re: Tommy Doyle deal - CONFIRMED

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Seemed to have got two decent players in so far?
    More than two.

Top quality loan players in from Wolves, Leeds and Man City. Top quality permanent signing from Arsenal.

If that is a 'wank' scouting network the word must have changed its meaning recently!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    More than two.

Top quality loan players in from Wolves, Leeds and Man City. Top quality permanent signing from Arsenal.

If that is a 'wank' scouting network the word must have changed its meaning recently!
    Top quality is stretching it a bit, Jon, but i agree with your general point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Top quality is stretching it a bit, Jon, but i agree with your general point.
    Maybe a bit of a stretch, but Doyle and McGuinness both captained their Premier League u23 sides (as well as age group international caps), and Giles and Drameh are both highly rated by their clubs and at worst on the cusp of getting top flight match time.

Top quality for us though - compared to some of the loans we used to get!

Interesting Q&A with Joe Bray (Manchester Evening News) on Doyle:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...field-22819773

Generally very positive, but this bit worried me:

Q. Would he be a good fit for Cardiff?

JB : I'll be honest, I don't know too much about how Cardiff play nowadays, but if they get it down and look to play a style of football that feeds the wingers then I think he'll be all right.

Wingers?

JB : I'll be honest, I don't know too much about how Cardiff play nowadays, but if they get it down and look to play a style of football that feeds the wingers then I think he'll be all right.

Wingers?
    https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...-city-21072861

Maybe a bit of a stretch, but Doyle and McGuinness both captained their Premier League u23 sides (as well as age group international caps), and Giles and Drameh are both highly rated by their clubs and at worst on the cusp of getting top flight match time.

Top quality for us though - compared to some of the loans we used to get!
    Young players that are highly rated, yes, a definite step up.

Wingers?
    He can pick a pass then.

So he can look for someone else ahead of him for us, other than a winger.

Not really a big deal is it.

Generally very positive, but this bit worried me......
    To me, the element of concern is that he failed to make any sort of a mark at Hamburg in Bundesliga 2.

He joined them on 31/08/21 and was an unused sub for all of their games in September. He finally came off the bench on 01/10/21 for the last few minutes of their 1-1 draw with Erzegbirge, and later in the month he scored within two minutes of coming on in a 2-1 victory over Paderborn. However, from that point onwards he was mostly just an unused sub again. He didn't make a single league start for a side where Robert Glatzel is top scorer.

It'll be really interesting to see how he gets on as he clearly has ability and City are crying out for a decent midfielder, but the first half of this season in Germany has to be a concern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_42c...nel=Bundesliga

Cracking finish here in the 94th minute.

Also, look out for a sneaky Glatzel assist for the first goal, pushing the defender out of the way of the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    To me, the element of concern is that he failed to make any sort of a mark at Hamburg in Bundesliga 2.

He joined them on 31/08/21 and was an unused sub for all of their games in September. He finally came off the bench on 01/10/21 for the last few minutes of their 1-1 draw with Erzegbirge, and later in the month he scored within two minutes of coming on in a 2-1 victory over Paderborn. However, from that point onwards he was mostly just an unused sub again. He didn't make a single league start for a side where Robert Glatzel is top scorer.

It'll be really interesting to see how he gets on as he clearly has ability and City are crying out for a decent midfielder, but the first half of this season in Germany has to be a concern.
    My concern is the physicality of the championship. He will not have experienced anything like the intensity on a physical level that the championship presents.

My concern is the physicality of the championship. He will not have experienced anything like the intensity on a physical level that the championship presents.
    I think he’ll be alright. He spent 10 years training with Man City’s youth set up and has played about 40 times for England from U16 to U21. He's spent his entire life training with English teams and players. He’s at a better advantage than some Brazilian starlet from Rio.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Even if the jury is still out on the Collins signing, how about using some of this famous ‘logic’ you are supposed to have and tell us why the arrival of McGuiness and Giles didn't improve the squad - both young talented players from Premier League clubs and now followed by an England U21 player from Man City. Who the hell cares who their agents are.
    You think Giles didn't improve the squad?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    You think Giles didn't improve the squad?
    Think he’s making the opposite point

So by your way of thinking, we shouldn't sign any players that have no Championsip experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lung View Post
    So by your way of thinking, we shouldn't sign any players that have no Championsip experience?
    That's about the size of it Alan.

That's about the size of it Alan.
    That's a weird way of thinking.

Re: Is the Tommy Doyle deal dead in the water ?

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    I'd forgotten about him.
    Mrs Doyle would be an improvement on our current midfield!
    Agreed. Not sure of his current fitness but if ok, I sincerely hope he is not on the bench on Saturday while Pack is in the starting eleven

Let's hope that this is City fans celebrating after Saturday's game against Bristol City!

Has someone really sifted through this thread and deleted any mention of the other board?

Bit OTT isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Has someone really sifted through this thread and deleted any mention of the other board?

Bit OTT isn't it?
    SNipers

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

Bit OTT isn't it?
    For fear of prosecution do you think? Or some other reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    For fear of prosecution do you think? Or some other reason?
    Laughing at people being silly on football forums is grounds for prosecution? Not sure what would happen first, the judge laughing at you or the judge dismissing the case.

He's done an interview with WalesOnline where he says he's hoping to bring a winning mentality to the club. The lad's not short of confidence

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...tommy-22827168

Disclaimer for those who only read a headline - he does also talk about gaining experience here etc, he's not saying he's going to come and shake the place up singlehandedly

Haven't seen one of these yet. Looks like he's got a few tricks and a decent set-piece taker.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Laughing at people being silly on football forums is grounds for prosecution? Not sure what would happen first, the judge laughing at you or the judge dismissing the case.
    I dare say you've never heard of sarcasm then?