+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: OT - where to buy a gearbox

OT - where to buy a gearbox

Sorry to ask on here, but whenever I need advice this forum has always been a lifesaver.

My mothers Fiat 500 2013 (22k millage). needs a new gearbox, garage quoted £1600 to supply and fit a refurbished box,

Or another garage has said if we source our own gearbox they can replace it for £360 labour.

I don't really know what I am looking for but seems that I can buy one for around £350 online, bringing the cost down to around £800 all in.

What would you do in this situation? and if i was to source one any suggestions on how/where to get it...

Re: OT - where to buy a gearbox

There are dozens of them on Ebay. Buy one that has been rebuilt/reconditioned, and make sure they offer some sort of warranty. You can also check their profile to see how many they have sold. Check their feedback if you're still unsure. Expect to pay between £300 and £400 for a good one. Note - you may have to trade in your old gearbox.
    Don't buy from a guy who is dismantling his car and auctioning off the parts. Get a decent one - they should ship to you, and you use the crate to send the old one back.

Re: OT - where to buy a gearbox

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    There are dozens of them on Ebay. Buy one that has been rebuilt/reconditioned, and make sure they offer some sort of warranty. You can also check their profile to see how many they have sold. Check their feedback if you're still unsure. Expect to pay between £300 and £400 for a good one. Note - you may have to trade in your old gearbox.
    Don't buy from a guy who is dismantling his car and auctioning off the parts. Get a decent one - they should ship to you, and you use the crate to send the old one back.
    Thanks!