+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Glatzel in the goals again

Glatzel in the goals again

Robert Glatzel scored another goal for Hamburg during their midweek 1-1 draw with top flight side FC Koln in the German cup. The goal was another header and it was his fifth in Hamburg's last four games. Glatzel's Bundesliga 2 team eventually won a penalty shoot-out to move into the quarter finals of the competition.

The ex-City striker has now netted 12 goals in 22 appearances for Hamburg. This is the team in which new City signing Tommy Doyle couldn't get a league start during the first half of the season. Hopefully, he'll be far more at home in the Championship, unlike Robert Glatzel, who seems to be thriving at one of the biggest clubs in the German second division.

Re: Glatzel in the goals again

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Robert Glatzel scored another goal for Hamburg during their midweek 1-1 draw with top flight side FC Koln in the German cup. The goal was another header and it was his fifth in Hamburg's last four games. Glatzel's Bundesliga 2 team eventually won a penalty shoot-out to move into the quarter finals of the competition.

The ex-City striker has now netted 12 goals in 22 appearances for Hamburg. This is the team in which new City signing Tommy Doyle couldn't get a league start during the first half of the season. Hopefully, he'll be far more at home in the Championship, unlike Robert Glatzel, who seems to be thriving at one of the biggest clubs in the German second division.
    Any idea if he's being used as a target man? Warnock tried that and it was a disaster. Neil Harris said Glatzel was the best finisher he'd seen. Hamburg are clearly playing more to Glatzel's strengths than we ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Any idea if he's being used as a target man?
    I don't know for sure, but looking at the Hamburg line-ups on Soccerbase it seems he's often being used as a lone striker. Of course, that doesn't mean to say he's acting as a target man in the Cardiff City sense, but he has scored a number of headers this season. He didn't score one while he was here.

I don't know for sure, but looking at the Hamburg line-ups on Soccerbase it seems he's often being used as a lone striker. Of course, that doesn't mean to say he's acting as a target man in the Cardiff City sense, but he has scored a number of headers this season. He didn't score one while he was here.
    Yeah big difference between attacking a ball from a cross and using your strength to hold the ball up. Similar to Cornelius, he scored a lot of headers throughout his career, but we assumed he would be an effective target man, which just wasn't his game.

The bit I never really got about Glatzel was him being such a great finisher, he never seemed to hit it that cleanly to me

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Any idea if he's being used as a target man? Warnock tried that and it was a disaster. Neil Harris said Glatzel was the best finisher he'd seen. Hamburg are clearly playing more to Glatzel's strengths than we ever did.
    What are his strengths.? Seriously I have no idea. As posted he didnt even seem a great striker of a ball , no real pace , 2nd touch was normally recovering his 1st.

Loads of people say we didnt play to his strengths but in all the times ive seen him I dont know what they were.

Glatzels supposed strengths are a mystery to me.

Im hoping that Tommy Doyle isnt getting in as the Hamburg midfield are really strong and have players who are good enough for the higher level in German football.