+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: British passports

Re: British passports

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    if there wasn't brexit then there also wouldn't have been this problem
    If it wasn't for the airports incompetence there wouldn't have been the problem.
    Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Just returned from Poland for a couple of days … walk up to the E Gate armed with my brand new shiny blue British passport.

Gets rejected.. go to desk. WTF. Man on desk tells men the E Gates are not set up for the new British passport. FFS. Yet another incompetent Brexit linked failing.
    lol hahaha..what did you expect

Quote Originally Posted by willo1927 View Post
    So why are you mentioning Brexit when it was the airports fault?
    they just won't let it lie

Why won’t people just let it lie? It’s only a massive economical **** up so some really rich people can get richer while everyone else is worse off.

Still people voted for it without being able to say why and without being able to name a tangible positive so just “get over it” guys!

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    It'll never be the fault of Brexit. Just as we talk on another thread about blame, misleading surveys etc, so the same will happen with Brexit, and probably Covid, where people will still believe what they want and find some ways of backing up their misguided thoughts.

I would have thought the systems were designed and operated by the UK Government's Border Force rather than the airlines. If so, a bit of a cock-up to fail to design a new passport that works with existing e-gate technology or adapt the technology to cater for the new passport when it was introduced. Presumably those travelling with pesky old EU passports are flying through. Ironically this allows EU citizens to use those gates whilst British subjects are ushered towards the smiling faces that are the UK Border Force.

As an aside, I too have a new passport. I have failed to get through the e-gates at Luton airport on two recent trips with it but in fairness I had similar trouble with my old one. I have quite a common surname and a border guard once told me that the algorithm used to uniquely identify individuals does not always work in such circumstances and I was always likely to get rejected at the gates and sent for a human passport clearance.

If it wasn't for the airports incompetence there wouldn't have been the problem.
    Get over it.
    If only we'd had a perfectly great system of freedom of movement and were European Citizens before we needed to reinvent the wheel.

Because be the government used Brexit as an excuse to change UK passports. Although, in reality they could have changed them at any time, there were EU rules saying what colour they had to be.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I guess I’ll never let it lie. I’m now living in Poland and in the process of making roughly 750 British people redundant, moving those jobs to Poland due to Brexit. Our UK factory had trebled output and export value to around £120m per annum between 2009 - 2019. That will all be gone by 2025 as all of our European customers mandate that the product should be made within the EU. Am I bitter at the dismantling of a very successful UK business, of course I am.

I guess I’ll never let it lie. I’m now living in Poland and in the process of making roughly 750 British people redundant, moving those jobs to Poland due to Brexit. Our UK factory had trebled output and export value to around £120m per annum between 2009 - 2019. That will all be gone by 2025 as all of our European customers mandate that the product should be made within the EU. Am I bitter at the dismantling of a very successful UK business, of course I am.
    Sorry to hear that. It is scandalous. No doubt the Brexit apologists will be on with some spurious GDP and trade statistics that tell you absolutely nothing compared to your real life experience.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Because be the government used Brexit as an excuse to change UK passports. Although, in reality they could have changed them at any time, there were EU rules saying what colour they had to be.
    That should have said there were no EU rules.

In every major airport in the world.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPassport_gates

I always use them as there are normally zero queues. Seems the, ones at Heathrow have not been set up for new British passports, despite having up to 6 years to do so!
    The E-Gate worked fine in LHR Terminal 5 2 weeks ago, first time I'd used the new passport in a year of having it. Was actually surprised how smooth that process went, being the first time back in over 2 years. Was quite possibly just a lucky day though.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    I loved the burgundy ones and will miss them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    if there wasn't brexit then there also wouldn't have been this problem
    Things have improved since brexit .. Why dont you embrace it ?
    Anything negative is covid.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    No one should have to go through this kind of pain and suffering.