+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Outrage as stunning My City My Shirt mural is painted over

Re: Outrage as stunning My City My Shirt mural is painted over

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    the Cardiff fanbase (and indeed catchment area) are a high percentage white male and middle-aged, the face that this mural was so popular and there has been outrage at it being removed says a lot about the desire to be seen as being welcoming to other groups of people in the fanbase.

could it be thought of as virtue signalling? possibly yes, but that's isn't a bad thing. inclusivity is a virtue, and the only way to achieve it is to send clear signals.
    I see someone's been to church on the weekend

Good points though

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Do you think it's still worth that? Given the backlash to what's happened here if the mural goes up again I would have thought most brands would want to steer well clear now of painting over it again.
    Maybe not. Who knows? But who will carry the can financially..probably Mischief, and it's not their fault at all if the space they renting out is giving them no return

On another tack look up analogfootball.com/ mycitymyshirt There are a set of photos there done by Yusuf Ismail that would look fantastic on an electronic billboard or a bus stop advertising board....Much more impact IMO than a mural

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I see someone's been to church on the weekend

Good points though
    I've not set foot In a church for years, but thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    So what happens then if you work in McDonalds and you think something like this should be nipped in the bud because it's potentially damaging to the company??

How much would it cost to buy, not rent, the advertising space, because I would be willing to make a contribution towards keeping it for the public to enjoy instead of being at the whim of money men?
    I would be surprised if anyone can buy (rather than lease/hire) the surface of an end of a building that has an owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I would be surprised if anyone can buy (rather than lease/hire) the surface of an end of a building that has an owner.
    As I said earlier, the car park it looks onto is also a development site and in time a building will occur there masking any mural, so long term it's probably not viable anyway, without buying the whole car park.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    As I said earlier, the car park it looks onto is also a development site and in time a building will occur there masking any mural, so long term it's probably not viable anyway, without buying the whole car park.
    Indeed. My point was about something rather different, old fruit.

The building site across from the old white Hart on James Street has been derelict since the 70's and the site in question has been like that for donkey's years too so I wouldn't hold my breath on development any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Indeed. My point was about something rather different, old fruit.
    I know, I was just expanding upon your excellently made point!

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    The building site across from the old white Hart on James Street has been derelict since the 70's and the site in question has been like that for donkey's years too so I wouldn't hold my breath on development any time soon.
    True, but both of those sites are now being talked about more frequently atm..

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    So to summarise:

McDonald's = Good

My City My Shirt = Political hot potato (scary if that's the case)

Corporate advertising space instead of permanent local art celebrating our club = Good

Posters from within the area fighting for something good in their community = Bad, pointless, a waste of time.

Posters from outside of the area deciding there's nothing to see here (ironic) = Good

Thanks, guys. Love the support.
    The story so far..to the best of my knowledge...

'Mischiefs' restaurant sublet one outer wall of their business to an advertising agency. Yusuf Ismail, strikes a deal with Adidas for the mural to be done by Cardiff street artist Bradley Rmer and pay for the 'billboard' fees for 6 months.
    The word 'Unify' appears on the mural and the typeface used is the same as used by the global marketing company Unify Creatives who promote the creative industry. Maybe Yusuf works for Unify, I cant confirm that.
    Adidas more recently also sponsor a Wales football mural in central Cardiff again featuring the Unify logo.

Yusuf ,in todays Echo, has a go at Macs for allowing the mural to be painted over and further trashes Cardiff for allowing it to happen.."It's just appalling. That mural means so much to the local; community and for me it showed Cardiff in a new light coming out of the pandemic and on the back of the BLM movement..".
    Further he says we've worked in BRISTOL, MANCHESTER, BIRMINGHAM, GLASGOW, LEICESTER, and this wouldn't have been allowed ....but companies know they can get away with it in Cardiff.

To me they are more the comments of someone very involved in the commercial world rather than just the interests of my home city Cardiff and its people.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post

'Mischiefs' restaurant sublet one outer wall of their business to an advertising agency. Yusuf Ismail, strikes a deal with Adidas for the mural to be done by Cardiff street artist Bradley Rmer and pay for the 'billboard' fees for 6 months.
    The word 'Unify' appears on the mural and the typeface used is the same as used by the global marketing company Unify Creatives who promote the creative industry. Maybe Yusuf works for Unify, I cant confirm that.
    Adidas more recently also sponsor a Wales football mural in central Cardiff again featuring the Unify logo.

Yusuf ,in todays Echo, has a go at Macs for allowing the mural to be painted over and further trashes Cardiff for allowing it to happen.."It's just appalling. That mural means so much to the local; community and for me it showed Cardiff in a new light coming out of the pandemic and on the back of the BLM movement..".
    Further he says we've worked in BRISTOL, MANCHESTER, BIRMINGHAM, GLASGOW, LEICESTER, and this wouldn't have been allowed ....but companies know they can get away with it in Cardiff.

To me they are more the comments of someone very involved in the commercial world rather than just the interests of my home city Cardiff and its people.
    It appears as though you've got pretty much all of your facts/assumptions wrong:

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2021-...ring-the-euros

I know, I was just expanding upon your excellently made point!
    How terribly kind. Have a slice of fruit cake and a cup of cha, old fruit.

Well one of them is ;-)

Why does any of this bother you so much? So local street artists are commissioned in other cities. I'm really unclear as to what your point is and I think you are too. Surely you can't be suggesting artists should work for free? There's hardly a comparison to a global burger chain and Unify is there? It's a f*cking wall in Butetown. Again, why does this rattle you because it clearly does? What am I missing? I'm not looking for an argument. I just don't get why you and some others are so concerned about this as you clearly don't care what's put up there. Betfair will be next. Or Paddy Power.

I've spent a decade filming and photographing and recording that entire area and The Bay. Nobody gave a sh*t about it until now. I and many others found the mural uplifting. It was unique. Shouldn't that be celebrated and preserved instead of painted over for another burger ad? Isn't it strange how different we see things? I see this as an act of wanton vandalism and you shrug it off like it's f*ck all. Yet people got so worked up about the toppling of a statue recently. Makes no sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Why does any of this bother you so much? So local street artists are commissioned in other cities. I'm really unclear as to what your point is and I think you are too. Surely you can't be suggesting artists should work for free? There's hardly a comparison to a global burger chain and Unify is there? It's a f*cking wall in Butetown. Again, why does this rattle you because it clearly does? What am I missing? I'm not looking for an argument. I just don't get why you and some others are so concerned about this as you clearly don't care what's put up there. Betfair will be next. Or Paddy Power.

I've spent a decade filming and photographing and recording that entire area and The Bay. Nobody gave a sh*t about it until now. I and many others found the mural uplifting. It was unique. Shouldn't that be celebrated and preserved instead of painted over for another burger ad? Isn't it strange how different we see things? I see this as an act of wanton vandalism and you shrug it off like it's f*ck all. Yet people got so worked up about the toppling of a statue recently. Makes no sense to me.
    Not trying to antagonise anyone. Commercial deal...street artist paid for mural, deal for six months for the mural to be on the advertising wall. After 6 months another party steps in , happens to be Macs and they get the blame and bad PR.
    Yusuf Ismail is the first one to criticise Macs and the city of Cardiff. He was one of the few that obviously knew the mural was safe for a limited time only. If he was so concerned about it why didn't he warn us that without financial assistance it was likely to have 6 month shelf life?.
    Instead he makes a fuss and shames Macs into paying for a repaint and display whilst getting a kick in the teeth with bad PR.

Quote Originally Posted by Tito Fuente View Post
    It appears as though you've got pretty much all of your facts/assumptions wrong:

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2021-...ring-the-euros
    I'm not far off the mark. Look carefully at the subheadings and who gets credit for the article and the photos...Unify

I'm not far off the mark. Look carefully at the subheadings and who gets credit for the article and the photos...Unify
    I did. 'Unify' is the name that Yusuf Ismail and Shawqi Hasson are calling themselves under this creative banner.

https://www.instagram.com/u.nify/?utm_source=ig_embed

This is the 'Unify' you seem to be incorrectly and stubbornly attaching them to:

About UNIFY Creative

UNIFY Creative began in May 2020 when Ashley Samuels-McKenzie and Charles Parkinson recognised the appetite from advertising professionals to drive change but saw that there was no formal platform bringing together decision makers to take action.

UNIFY Creative was established in response to the COVID-19 crisis in May 2020 by Ashley Samuels-McKenzie and Charles Parkinson, co-founders of Unity & Motion

No connection anywhere between the two.

You also said earlier "Yusuf Ismail, strikes a deal with Adidas for the mural to be done by Cardiff street artist Bradley Rmer and pay for the 'billboard' fees for 6 months" which is a bizarre considering they've actually left off all of the Adidas branding and trademarks on the shirt, perhaps fearing repercussions of trademark infringement.

Which isn't the case on the 'My Cymru, My Shirt' mural which Adidas did commission.

Miles off the mark, as usual.

Apology accepted in advance (also, as usual).

I did. 'Unify' is the name that Yusuf Ismail and Shawqi Hasson are calling themselves under this creative banner.

This is the 'Unify' you seem to be incorrectly and stubbornly attaching them to:

About UNIFY Creative

UNIFY Creative began in May 2020 when Ashley Samuels-McKenzie and Charles Parkinson recognised the appetite from advertising professionals to drive change but saw that there was no formal platform bringing together decision makers to take action.

UNIFY Creative was established in response to the COVID-19 crisis in May 2020 by Ashley Samuels-McKenzie and Charles Parkinson, co-founders of Unity & Motion

You also said earlier "Yusuf Ismail, strikes a deal with Adidas for the mural to be done by Cardiff street artist Bradley Rmer and pay for the 'billboard' fees for 6 months" which is a bizarre considering they've actually left off all of the Adidas branding and trademarks on the shirt, perhaps fearing repercussions of trademark infringement.

Which isn't the case on the 'My Cymru, My Shirt' mural which Adidas did commission.

Bloody hell. That’s one mighty telling off

About UNIFY Creative

I'm trying to be constructive, so looked up the Instagram feed you quote above and I'm into pictures of Unify for Arsenal, Man U, Leeds. plus Cardiff ....and again the strong link with Adidas.
    You mention u.nify, I mentioned Unify. The murals in Cardiff highlight UNIFY in the typeface of Unify creative the marketing company.

If it does what is says on the tin, Ive yet to work out the name on the tin.

Of course that's not so and the proof is that once they knew Macs did something about it.

We dont have proof though do we, infact here is the Job Foreman posing for a picture, Im not saying McD's knew what was going on or not though

54f94f7670901_-_ronald-mcdonald-makeover-del0414.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    We dont have proof though do we, infact here is the Job Foreman posing for a picture, Im not saying McD's knew what was going on or not though

54f94f7670901_-_ronald-mcdonald-makeover-del0414.jpg
    Macs say that they wanted the mural replaced this week but those in charge of the project were looking for a new site??

I'm trying to be constructive, so looked up the Instagram feed you quote above and I'm into pictures of Unify for Arsenal, Man U, Leeds. plus Cardiff ....and again the strong link with Adidas.
    You mention u.nify, I mentioned Unify. The murals in Cardiff highlight UNIFY in the typeface of Unify creative the marketing company.

It appears to be Unify, a small Creative Studio based in Butetown, not a global marketing services company. Yusuf is the co-founder. https://www.wmc.org.uk/en/what-we-do...on-photography

You're not trying to be constructive in the slightest. You're trying to find non-existent evidence to prove your false narrative.

The reason their Instagram page is "u.nify" is because "unify" would have already been taken.

The "Unify" you keep wanting to connect them to are on Twitter here:

https://mobile.twitter.com/togetherweunify

The one we should be discussing have their own Twitter too:

https://mobile.twitter.com/unifycreative_

Unsurprisingly, there's no connection between them here. They don't follow each other or share the same news/media etc.

This is the website for the 'other' Unify:

https://www.weunify.co.uk/

Nothing there either that links the two groups.

Here is their LinkedIn:

https://www.linkedin.com/company/together-we-unify

Nope.

Ahh but what about the parent company and the advertising arm of "Unify" I hear you ask. Good question, LB.

They're called 'Unity and Motion' and here is a list of the brands they class as their clients:

http://unityandmotion.com/clients

That's weird. Have they mistakenly put Reebok instead of Adidas? You'd better give them a bell.

Why aren't they promoting their brand?

One would think that, as an advertising and marketing company, they would recognise that they need a positive synergy between the two groups to promote awareness of the work they're doing. Maybe they don't know better, eh LB?

The Cardiff-based group known as Unify have clearly built a relationship with Adidas since they reached out about doing the 'My Cymru, My Shirt' mural and are now working with them on other projects (hence their photos on Instagram of them doing shoots with Man United, Arsenal etc.)

This would also explain the 'working in Manchester etc' quote you took umbrage with.

All of the photos of other clubs were shared after they mention in the ITV article that they were now going to work with Adidas on the Welsh shirt mural - which is consistent with everything Yusuf Ismail has said so far

Also, you do realise the smoking gun of a "typeface" you keep referring to is one the most commonly used in existence and matches the same one they've used in the lettering for "my city, my club"?! It's bold and it stands out.

There is literally nothing on the internet connecting the two groups, yet here we are discussing it at a frustrating length because of your misplaced distrust and inability to accept that you're wrong (an all too familiar pattern for you, I've noticed).

Unless you can find an actual, legitimate link between the two Unifys other than they share a typeface (even though the Cardiff-based one doesn't even use it in their own branding (e.g. their Twitter logo), I suggest you refrain from engaging your fingers to the keyboard to bother replying...

As I think I can confidently say that you're done here.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    It appears to be Unify, a small Creative Studio based in Butetown, not a global marketing services company. Yusuf is the co-founder. https://www.wmc.org.uk/en/what-we-do...on-photography
    I just spent 15 minutes on my post when this would have done the same job

for what sort of development ? the old merthyr house site has been waiting a long long time