+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Outrage as stunning My City My Shirt mural is painted over

Re: Outrage as stunning My City My Shirt mural is painted over

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    McDonalds order a repaint immediately. A bit arrogant. Destroy the original and order the artist to do it all again! Thanks very much.
    I think they're doing the right thing - they didn't have to. It's not really anything to do with them. The fact that they have asked for it to be re-painted has to be seen as a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I think they're doing the right thing - they didn't have to. It's not really anything to do with them. The fact that they have asked for it to be re-painted has to be seen as a good thing.
    Agreed. It's a win for all. Something good to read for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by logic View Post
    Logic shows that people are acting as if it's an OUTRAGE. How dare a multicultural mural be pointed over?

Those same people are conveniently quiet that the general makeup of the crowd at CCS is pale, male and stale.

Does everything have to be commercial? No. Does the owner of the wall have the freedom to choose what they utilise the wall for or do they have to gain the approval of the vocal minority?
    Embarrassing post. Even if you are a wind up you really need to reevaluate your life

Mcdonalds will be buying ad space by the thousands in huge contracts. How were they to know what was there before hand. P*ss poor of idiots like doughty and gething to go after them as if they were aware.

Decent gesture from mcdonalds to give the space back.

It’s a terrible decision, and I’m very annoyed by this, I’m glad McDonald’s have decided to repaint it though.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Mcdonalds will be buying ad space by the thousands in huge contracts. How were they to know what was there before hand. P*ss poor of idiots like doughty and gething to go after them as if they were aware.

indeed

they wouldn't know what was on the wall, they would have been sold the space ( along with hundreds of others ) by some agent

Mc D's can surely not be to blame for this, whoever owns the space must be as they have decided to cash in and let the wall be used for advertising space

Oh and I bet McD's are still footing the bill for the space and getting it repainted, which must be commended

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    McDonald's are actually sensitive over PR. They will reverse this.
    The power of a few tweets hey? No way McDonald's were going to let this story run.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    indeed

they wouldn't know what was on the wall, they would have been sold the space ( along with hundreds of others ) by some agent

Mc D's can surely not be to blame for this, whoever owns the space must be as they have decided to cash in and let the wall be used for advertising space
    This is probably the best outcome for McDonalds, they look like they actually give a shit. It's good PR for them. Mind you, that gable is ****ed, the rendering could be picked off with a kitchen knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    The power of a few tweets hey? No way McDonald's were going to let this story run.
    In a weird way, they come out of this really well. This story has legs,

After a dreadful day. The desperation of some to back Mcdonalds has given me a great laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    In a weird way, they come out of this really well. This story has legs,
    Yes I wonder if it's a generation thing. The older generation talk of boycotts and wanting explanations, they may even write an email or a letter-whereas the younger generation understand the power and impact of a twitter pile on. I don't think McDonald's would care about boycotts from people who don't go there anyway or reveling emails but they would not want this to become a social media storm.

It's not a good way of doing things really and doesn't allow any debate as it's all knee jerk stuff-but it's the society we living in.

Cardiff has been shit for years on street art and murals. It's really difficult to get much support for it. I've commissioned loads in my time through peaceful progress and Rmer but an overarching culture never seems to emerge.

Thought it would in Cathay's / Roath s few years ago but it tapers out. That said, I think street art is probably past its peak slightly now, but we are still way behind other cities and good stuff like this is such a no brainer.

The only thing I would say is that Mischiefs (where I used to go a lot) are entitled to make something from it and a timeframe for this to be up was probably agreed at the time so they shouldn't be shamed over it IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    The only thing I would say is that Mischiefs (where I used to go a lot) are entitled to make something from it and a timeframe for this to be up was probably agreed at the time so they shouldn't be shamed over it IMO.
    But neither should McD's who at a guess wouldn't have known what was on the space ( why would they, they are just buying a space to put up some advert )

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    This is probably the best outcome for McDonalds, they look like they actually give a shit. It's good PR for them. Mind you, that gable is ****ed, the rendering could be picked off with a kitchen knife.
    Its great PR, though I wonder if the twitters will be as quick to praise McD's as they were to condemn them

Agree they are a huge organisation with responsibilile corporate standards, no way would thier top team taken a decision to paint over such a positive image .

As they say a third party contractor was involved and
    ( they ) should have drawn a breath and got confirmation before proceeding, any sensible worker would know something was up . That maybe the end of thier McDonald's contract work

Their generosity with the children's hospital at the Heath was admiral.

From MacDonalds:
    """ Hi Stephen - the site was hired by a third party working with the artist who painted the original mural. We were unaware of what was on the site prior to our installation and have instructed the artist to repaint his original mural immediately.""

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    But neither should McD's who at a guess wouldn't have known what was on the space ( why would they, they are just buying a space to put up some advert )
    Yes, I agree. No one to blame. Will be reinstated.
    End of story really

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    After a dreadful day. The desperation of some to back Mcdonalds has given me a great laugh.
    It's not about backing mcdonalds. It's about pointing out the stupidity of rushing to condemn them for something that's not their fault. If you want to have a pop at them for animal welfare, promoting obesity or damaging the climate, I'd be more than happy to join you .

One good thing to come out of this is the obvious public support for the murals. Hopefully it leads to more street art around the city.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Easy for me to say because I don’t eat them, but City fans should boycott McDonalds after this - shockingly insensitive.
    Nothing to do with McD's tho really is it, they just rented advertising space!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    McDonalds order a repaint immediately. A bit arrogant. Destroy the original and order the artist to do it all again! Thanks very much.
    They didn't destroy the original!

Im sure the politicians in question will use it as a political point to claim that they were responsible for the reversal!

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    Yes it was.

Surely whoever owns it/rents it out is too blame? Cashing in off macdonalds?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes it was.
    How? They just asked their agency to find advertising space!

How? They just asked their agency to find advertising space!
    It shouldn’t have been beyond the local McDonalds management to bring the fact that they were going to be scoring a PR own goal by going ahead with it.