+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Outrage as stunning My City My Shirt mural is painted over

Re: Outrage as stunning My City My Shirt mural is painted over

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It shouldn’t have been beyond the local McDonalds management to bring the fact that they were going to be scoring a PR own goal by going ahead with it.
    I bet the agency was using another subcontractor to prep the sites, someone else to put the advert up, all that McD's had done was to pay for X amount of hundred advertising spaces, they just couldn't know

as for the local McD's management knowing, most of the mcD's are franchises ( who might be owned by someone anywhere in the world, my local ones are owned by someone who has a few homes around the world, one is a massive estate in South Africa ) I am pretty sure he wouldn't know about the mural and I wouldn't even think they would know about the advertising spaces anyway

McD's are now paying for the space for the Mural to be repainted, which is the right thing to do and must be applauded

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I bet the agency was using another subcontractor to prep the sites, someone else to put the advert up, all that McD's had done was to pay for X amount of hundred advertising spaces, they just couldn't know

as for the local McD's management knowing, most of the mcD's are franchises ( who might be owned by someone anywhere in the world, my local ones are owned by someone who has a few homes around the world, one is a massive estate in South Africa ) I am pretty sure he wouldn't know about the mural and I wouldn't even think they would know about the advertising spaces anyway

McD's are now paying for the space for the Mural to be repainted, which is the right thing to do and must be applauded
    And its transpired that the original artist who painted the mural is part of the team over painting it, they cleary weren't that bothered abut it or they'd have stopped it before it became a problem! Sounds like a manufactured situation to create a news story tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    And its transpired that the original artist who painted the mural is part of the team over painting it, they cleary weren't that bothered abut it or they'd have stopped it before it became a problem! Sounds like a manufactured situation to create a news story tbh.
    I suspected this may be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Yes, I agree. No one to blame. Will be reinstated.
    End of story really
    Bloody Tories fault again

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Bloody Tories fault again
    BINGO

its been a long day, but I knew I could wait it out

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    The original artist isn't over painting it, he's re-painting the original piece and I doubt he'd have been over the moon to see his work rollered over but that's part of the risk for all street artists. He'll get paid by McDonalds I suspect which won't be unwelcome. If it is a manufactured story, then the only people gaining anything out of this will be McDonalds themselves.

I'd like to see lottey funding for these kinds of projects and for Cardiff Council to prioritise and help preserve them. Just remember our own club didn't support this (they were asked to) otherwise they'd have been stakeholders and would have been in the loop.

After recent events at Bristol, our history that follows us around like a bad smell, and our awful season, we need all the PR help we can get.

im sure in the original bbc report they said the site of the murial [321] was rented by the artiste , so its just a billboard.

BINGO

its been a long day, but I knew I could wait it out
    Sssssssh hot news, it's linked with another redecoration event in Downing Street

So you’re saying an individual McDonalds has no one in charge on the premises and they’re ordered about by faceless owners from other parts of the world who don’t know the first thing abiut individual stores? There has to be some sort of chain of command in every McDonalde and those in charge in the area should have been able to point out to someone that they were committing a big PR gaffe

So you’re saying an individual McDonalds has no one in charge on the premises and they’re ordered about by faceless owners from other parts of the world who don’t know the first thing abiut individual stores? There has to be some sort of chain of command in every McDonalde and those in charge in the area should have been able to point out to someone that they were committing a big PR gaffe
    McDonalds is a franchise business.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    McDonalds is a franchise business.
    So if you work in a McDonalds and you see something in your area which threatens to reflect badly on the company being mooted or happening, you have nowhere to go to make your concerns known?

So if you work in a McDonalds and you see something in your area which threatens to reflect badly on the company being mooted or happening, you have nowhere to go to make your concerns known?
    Of course that's not so and the proof is that once they knew Macs did something about it.

From press reports Yusuf, the artist, was given the space for six months for a nominal fee from the ad agency that owns the advertising rights to the wall. They then extended because of lack of demand for the space due to Covid.
    Macs then took the space and I've no doubt knew nothing about the sensitivity of the artwork.
    The advertising agency owns the space not Macs. Additionally even though Macs are now paying to have it replaced they had only leased the wall for three weeks and after that the agency has leased it to someone else.
    So it could be that it will be wiped again after that time.

Of course that's not so and the proof is that once they knew Macs did something about it.

From press reports Yusuf, the artist, was given the space for six months for a nominal fee from the ad agency that owns the advertising rights to the wall. They then extended because of lack of demand for the space due to Covid.
    Macs then took the space and I've no doubt knew nothing about the sensitivity of the artwork.
    The advertising agency owns the space not Macs. Additionally even though Macs are now paying to have it replaced they had only leased the wall for three weeks and after that the agency has leased it to someone else.
    It takes more energy to post on here than it does to contact the club, council, lottery fund, supporters trust, etc. asking them to support this and come to an arrangement with the owners of the 'advertising space'.

We're supposed to be all on the same side so let's show some solidarity and fire off a load of emails (costs f*ck all to do)
    to try and make this an iconic piece of Cardiff. Or don't. But what's the point of sniping on here when something more constructive can be done?

Over and out on this.

I think it's fair that corporate McDonalds would be sensitive to adverse public opinion and their PR department would move swiftly to rectify things which seems to have happened here.

One small anecdote in support of this.

A friend of mine works for an agricultural consultancy. They were commissioned by Mcdonalds to undertake a study of the potential for increasing palm oil extraction in Indonesia. He was given one simple warning though "Do not f*ck with the orang-utang". That is is any of your recommendations or analysis looks like threatening the orang-utangs habitat you are toast as we will not tolerate the adverse publicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    It takes more energy to post on here than it does to contact the club, council, lottery fund, supporters trust, etc. asking them to support this and come to an arrangement with the owners of the 'advertising space'.

We're supposed to be all on the same side so let's show some solidarity and fire off a load of emails (costs f*ck all to do)
    to try and make this an iconic piece of Cardiff. Or don't. But what's the point of sniping on here when something more constructive can be done?

Over and out on this.
    If the club have already distanced themselves from this mural, I don't see a long term future for this.

Council won't get involved, neither will the lottery (IMO)

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    If the club have already distanced themselves from this mural, I don't see a long term future for this.

Council won't get involved, neither will the lottery (IMO)
    Says the defeatist.

Honestly, I think too much is being made of this now. The artist will have been commissioned to do it. Street art is rarely permanent (to some extent thats its strength) and McDonald's clearly wouldnt have done it in knowledge of the site or what was currently there.

Local MPs kicked up a fuss, McDonald's will pay for its replacement, the artist will get some publicity and the mural is now probably there to stay.

The only loser is probably Mischiefs who have lost a source of revenue, although the site in front of the mural is due for redevelopment anyway so it won't last for that reason.

All's well that ends well

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I think it's fair that corporate McDonalds would be sensitive to adverse public opinion and their PR department would move swiftly to rectify things which seems to have happened here.

One small anecdote in support of this.

A friend of mine works for an agricultural consultancy. They were commissioned by Mcdonalds to undertake a study of the potential for increasing palm oil extraction in Indonesia. He was given one simple warning though "Do not f*ck with the orang-utang". That is is any of your recommendations or analysis looks like threatening the orang-utangs habitat you are toast as we will not tolerate the adverse publicity.
    McDonald's in hours already sorted the PR issue.

They are a very careful company and very good. Some of this new age social media marketing with crap meme's and unfunny/off colour jokes are absolutely turd.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Honestly, I think too much is being made of this now. The artist will have been commissioned to do it. Street art is rarely permanent (to some extent thats its strength) and McDonald's clearly wouldnt have done it in knowledge of the site or what was currently there.

Local MPs kicked up a fuss, McDonald's will pay for its replacement, the artist will get some publicity and the mural is now probably there to stay.

The only loser is probably Mischiefs who have lost a source of revenue, although the site in front of the mural is due for redevelopment anyway so it won't last for that reason.

All's well that ends well
    The sad thing is that Unify and the artist Yusuf knew that the work would only be there for around 6 months, yet they are the one's making a fuss and letting Macs take the stick.

I don't think CCFC or the supporters organisations should get involved. It's potentially a political hot potato

So what happens then if you work in McDonalds and you think something like this should be nipped in the bud because it's potentially damaging to the company??

How much would it cost to buy, not rent, the advertising space, because I would be willing to make a contribution towards keeping it for the public to enjoy instead of being at the whim of money men?

So to summarise:

McDonald's = Good

My City My Shirt = Political hot potato (scary if that's the case)

Corporate advertising space instead of permanent local art celebrating our club = Good

Posters from within the area fighting for something good in their community = Bad, pointless, a waste of time.

Posters from outside of the area deciding there's nothing to see here (ironic) = Good

Thanks, guys. Love the support.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    So to summarise:

McDonald's = Good

My City My Shirt = Political hot potato (scary if that's the case)

Corporate advertising space instead of permanent local art celebrating our club = Good

Posters from within the area fighting for something good in their community = Bad, pointless, a waste of time.

Posters from outside of the area deciding there's nothing to see here (ironic) = Good

Thanks, guys. Love the support.
    OK..let's say we/CCFC etc want it there permanently. Already stated by Mischief restaurant that they have let the space to an advertising agency for 5 years. So we want it for the full 5 years for starters for example.

Large billboard type adverts cost to rent from £200 a week + VAT...say £10K a year. 5 year deal £50K. If we want to buy the space..and Mischief willing to sell..probably cost a lot more.
    Is that good use of money or are there other things that it could be spent on locally to help the community?

OK..let's say we/CCFC etc want it there permanently. Already stated by Mischief restaurant that they have let the space to an advertising agency for 5 years. So we want it for the full 5 years for starters for example.

Large billboard type adverts cost to rent from £200 a week + VAT...say £10K a year. 5 year deal £50K. If we want to buy the space..and Mischief willing to sell..probably cost a lot more.
    Is that good use of money or are there other things that it could be spent on locally to help the community?
    Do you think it's still worth that? Given the backlash to what's happened here if the mural goes up again I would have thought most brands would want to steer well clear now of being associated with painting over it again.

Quote Originally Posted by logic View Post
    Logic shows that people are acting as if it's an OUTRAGE. How dare a multicultural mural be pointed over?

Those same people are conveniently quiet that the general makeup of the crowd at CCS is pale, male and stale.

Does everything have to be commercial? No. Does the owner of the wall have the freedom to choose what they utilise the wall for or do they have to gain the approval of the vocal minority?
    the Cardiff fanbase (and indeed catchment area) are a high percentage white male and middle-aged, the face that this mural was so popular and there has been outrage at it being removed says a lot about the desire to be seen as being welcoming to other groups of people in the fanbase.

could it be thought of as virtue signalling? possibly yes, but that's isn't a bad thing. inclusivity is a virtue, and the only way to achieve it is to send clear signals.

Hey Banksy, blank canvas over the bay
    Go sort it out!