+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Outrage as stunning My City My Shirt mural is painted over

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Outrage as stunning My City My Shirt mural is painted over

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    And its transpired that the original artist who painted the mural is part of the team over painting it, they cleary weren't that bothered abut it or they'd have stopped it before it became a problem! Sounds like a manufactured situation to create a news story tbh.
    I suspected this may be the case.

im sure in the original bbc report they said the site of the murial [321] was rented by the artiste , so its just a billboard.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    BINGO

its been a long day, but I knew I could wait it out
    Sssssssh hot news, it's linked with another redecoration event in Downing Street

Honestly, I think too much is being made of this now. The artist will have been commissioned to do it. Street art is rarely permanent (to some extent thats its strength) and McDonald's clearly wouldnt have done it in knowledge of the site or what was currently there.

Local MPs kicked up a fuss, McDonald's will pay for its replacement, the artist will get some publicity and the mural is now probably there to stay.

The only loser is probably Mischiefs who have lost a source of revenue, although the site in front of the mural is due for redevelopment anyway so it won't last for that reason.

All's well that ends well

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Honestly, I think too much is being made of this now. The artist will have been commissioned to do it. Street art is rarely permanent (to some extent thats its strength) and McDonald's clearly wouldnt have done it in knowledge of the site or what was currently there.

Local MPs kicked up a fuss, McDonald's will pay for its replacement, the artist will get some publicity and the mural is now probably there to stay.

The only loser is probably Mischiefs who have lost a source of revenue, although the site in front of the mural is due for redevelopment anyway so it won't last for that reason.

All's well that ends well
    The sad thing is that Unify and the artist Yusuf knew that the work would only be there for around 6 months, yet they are the one's making a fuss and letting Macs take the stick.

I don't think CCFC or the supporters organisations should get involved. It's potentially a political hot potato

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    the Cardiff fanbase (and indeed catchment area) are a high percentage white male and middle-aged, the face that this mural was so popular and there has been outrage at it being removed says a lot about the desire to be seen as being welcoming to other groups of people in the fanbase.

could it be thought of as virtue signalling? possibly yes, but that's isn't a bad thing. inclusivity is a virtue, and the only way to achieve it is to send clear signals.
    I see someone's been to church on the weekend

Good points though

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I see someone's been to church on the weekend

Good points though
    I've not set foot In a church for years, but thanks

As I said earlier, the car park it looks onto is also a development site and in time a building will occur there masking any mural, so long term it's probably not viable anyway, without buying the whole car park.
    The building site across from the old white Hart on James Street has been derelict since the 70's and the site in question has been like that for donkey's years too so I wouldn't hold my breath on development any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    The building site across from the old white Hart on James Street has been derelict since the 70's and the site in question has been like that for donkey's years too so I wouldn't hold my breath on development any time soon.
    True, but both of those sites are now being talked about more frequently atm..

for what sort of development ? the old merthyr house site has been waiting a long long time

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    for what sort of development ? the old merthyr house site has been waiting a long long time
    would you know regarding this site please ?

I would seriously doubt that either site will be developed any time soon

in what way ?

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    in what way ?
    I'm not going to go into details, but both are development sites with owners who want to maximise their sites.

My main point though was just to add to a previous post that talked about the realistic long term cost of keeping the mural ad infinitum, which is that in addition to the cost of leasing the space you would have to pay the developer of the adjacent land to never develop the site also, as any development would cover up the mural.

I'm in favour of the mural anyway, and in favour of street art. I've commissioned a lot of it, I'd like to see far more of it, I was just adding a bit of Real Politik to it all.

I'm not going to go into details, but both are development sites with owners who want to maximise their sites.

My main point though was just to add to a previous post that talked about the realistic long term cost of keeping the mural ad infinitum, which is that in addition to the cost of leasing the space you would have to pay the developer of the adjacent land to never develop the site also, as any development would cover up the mural.

I'm in favour of the mural anyway, and in favour of street art. I've commissioned a lot of it, I'd like to see far more of it, I was just adding a bit of Real Politik to it all.
    the other site you mentioned has been like that a long time i cant see anything being developed there soon , must be a problem maybe with planning or groundwork its interesting why its been left this long ?

Well one of them is ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    I'm trying to be constructive, so looked up the Instagram feed you quote above and I'm into pictures of Unify for Arsenal, Man U, Leeds. plus Cardiff ....and again the strong link with Adidas.
    You mention u.nify, I mentioned Unify. The murals in Cardiff highlight UNIFY in the typeface of Unify creative the marketing company.

If it does what is says on the tin, Ive yet to work out the name on the tin.
    It appears to be Unify, a small Creative Studio based in Butetown, not a global marketing services company. Yusuf is the co-founder. https://www.wmc.org.uk/en/what-we-do...on-photography

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    I'm trying to be constructive, so looked up the Instagram feed you quote above and I'm into pictures of Unify for Arsenal, Man U, Leeds. plus Cardiff ....and again the strong link with Adidas.
    You mention u.nify, I mentioned Unify. The murals in Cardiff highlight UNIFY in the typeface of Unify creative the marketing company.

If it does what is says on the tin, Ive yet to work out the name on the tin.
    You're not trying to be constructive in the slightest. You're trying to find non-existent evidence to prove your false narrative.

The reason their Instagram page is "u.nify" is because "unify" would have already been taken.

The "Unify" you keep wanting to connect them to are on Twitter here:

https://mobile.twitter.com/togetherweunify

The one we should be discussing have their own Twitter too:

https://mobile.twitter.com/unifycreative_

Unsurprisingly, there's no connection between them here. They don't follow each other or share the same news/media etc.

This is the website for the 'other' Unify:

https://www.weunify.co.uk/

Nothing there either that links the two groups.

Here is their LinkedIn:

https://www.linkedin.com/company/together-we-unify

Nope.

Ahh but what about the parent company and the advertising arm of "Unify" I hear you ask. Good question, LB.

They're called 'Unity and Motion' and here is a list of the brands they class as their clients:

http://unityandmotion.com/clients

That's weird. Have they mistakenly put Reebok instead of Adidas? You'd better give them a bell.

Why aren't they promoting their brand?

One would think that, as an advertising and marketing company, they would recognise that they need a positive synergy between the two groups to promote awareness of the work they're doing. Maybe they don't know better, eh LB?

The Cardiff-based group known as Unify have clearly built a relationship with Adidas since they reached out about doing the 'My Cymru, My Shirt' mural and are now working with them on other projects (hence their photos on Instagram of them doing shoots with Man United, Arsenal etc.)

This would also explain the 'working in Manchester etc' quote you took umbrage with.

All of the photos of other clubs were shared after they mention in the ITV article that they were now going to work with Adidas on the Welsh shirt mural - which is consistent with everything Yusuf Ismail has said so far

Also, you do realise the smoking gun of a "typeface" you keep referring to is one the most commonly used in existence and matches the same one they've used in the lettering for "my city, my club"?! It's bold and it stands out.

There is literally nothing on the internet connecting the two groups, yet here we are discussing it at a frustrating length because of your misplaced distrust and inability to accept that you're wrong (an all too familiar pattern for you, I've noticed).

Unless you can find an actual, legitimate link between the two Unifys other than they share a typeface (even though the Cardiff-based one doesn't even use it in their own branding (e.g. their Twitter logo), I suggest you refrain from engaging your fingers to the keyboard to bother replying...

As I think I can confidently say that you're done here.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    It appears to be Unify, a small Creative Studio based in Butetown, not a global marketing services company. Yusuf is the co-founder. https://www.wmc.org.uk/en/what-we-do...on-photography
    I just spent 15 minutes on my post when this would have done the same job