+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Not good enough all over

Not good enough all over

Where do you focus your attention on a team that is clearly not good enough throughout the squad?

Despite thinking he could do things better in terms of the formation and some comments he's made post-match, I actually have a lot of sympathy for Morison. The squad has been completely drained of any flair, creativity and general quality by previous regimes and he's been left to pick up the pieces. We have a defence that is consistently wide open through the middle (strange problem to have for a team with 3 CBs), a midfield that is slow and laboured, with a forward line that lacks any cutting edge.

How many of the following would get into a top half Championship side?

Flint, Nelson, Ng, Pack, Harris who all started today among a whole host of others in the squad. The answer is 0.

Something that is even more worrying is the amount of work needed on the squad in the summer. Those contracted to the club beyond this year:

Dillon Phillips

Curtis Nelson
    Perry Ng
    Mark McGuiness
    Joel Bagan

Ryan Wintle
    Tom Sang
    Leandro Bacuna
    Sam Bowen
    Rubin Colwill
    Kieron Evans

Kieffer Moore
    James Collins
    Mark Harris
    Max Watters

Now that is a squad that truly terrifies me for a club with no money! I guess what I'm asking is, is it as much as a disaster if we DID get relegated and were forced to truly reset? Of course I think we should throw everything at staying up and certainly not advocating that it's a good thing, but would it be as disastrous as it seems on the face of it?

Re: Not good enough all over

Wales Online have decided that Bacuna's contract is up this summer - so he can come off the list.

Morison had an impossible task -

change the style, bring in younger players and utilise the squad he inherited. These are contradictory aims. Several of the senior players in the squad cannot trap or pass the ball. The Championship is notoriously brutal for those who haven't played at that level before.

Those having a go at Morison with increasing frequency seem to think that the manager could do much better. It is clear that he has changed our style as much as is possible with this squad.

Now the manager is called upon by many, understandably, to change our defensive system as well as our style.

Mark Hudson is supposed to be our defence coach. What defence? Why is he not responsible for us playing the current "system"?

Morison has an impossible task and I think is largely doing what he can, which may not be very much, but he certainly needs time.

We haven't been in such a parlous position for years, but there are many games to go this season.

Patience is needed.

It's not even the end of January and we're 4 points from the bottom three. It's hardly over. Unfortunately, our better players are young and inexperienced. Our experienced players are old and were never that good to begin with. However, it's not over.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It's not even the end of January and we're 4 points from the bottom three. It's hardly over. Unfortunately, our better players are young and inexperienced. Our experienced players are old and were never that good to begin with. However, it's not over.
    the whole club needs to reset in the summer and i think that will be without the current manager,unfortunately looks like that will be in div 1.