+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Highway Code changes.

Highway Code changes.

The right of way to pedestrians at corners and junctions has to be a recipe for collisions surely.

https://www.pattersonlaw.co.uk/impor...-code-in-2022/

Re: Highway Code changes.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The right of way to pedestrians at corners and junctions has to be a recipe for collisions surely.

https://www.pattersonlaw.co.uk/impor...-code-in-2022/
    Rule H3 - …and advises drivers that cyclists may even occasionally ride two or three abreast to make themselves safer….

Great, I can see this leading to incidents of road rage when you have 3 cyclists abreast having a chat and idyllically making their way down a road when there is no opportunity to overtake them

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Rule H3 - …and advises drivers that cyclists may even occasionally ride two or three abreast to make themselves safer….

Great, I can see this leading to incidents of road rage when you have 3 cyclists abreast having a chat and idyllically making their way down a road when there is no opportunity to overtake them
    Yes.

I thought that as well.

It's the right thing to do but not the most practical and safest

The lack of publicity, or government information campaign on the changes, is the worst aspect of this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    The lack of publicity, or government information campaign on the changes, is the worst aspect of this.
    Yes its the 1st ive heard of it.

I did hear there were TV adverts to come, but I agree. My understanding is that the rules apply now, so we should have been watching those adverts, if there are some, fora few weeks by now. There are fundamental changes in how we conduct ourselves on the roads involved here and and I’m sure there are others on here who have been driving in a different way for ages - in 2024, it will be fifty years since I passed my driving test and, after so long, it’s going to be hard to get used to driving in a different way.

They are in-fighting like rats in a sack, give them a break.

Now cyclists have the run of the road, how about starting to charge them for using our roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post

Encouraged to position themselves centrally as well.

I wouldn't mind if even half the cyclists I saw abided by even the most basic rules themselves. I know there are some that do of course.

Well bugger me I can’t use my butler to carry the red flag in front of my vehicle anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Well bugger me I can’t use my butler to carry the red flag in front of my vehicle anymore!
    actually I think these changes mean that you could

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Now cyclists have the run of the road, how about starting to charge them for using our roads.
    Roads are paid for out of income tax, council tax and VAT so they already do.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Encouraged to position themselves centrally as well.

I wouldn't mind if even half the cyclists I saw abided by even the most basic rules themselves. I know there are some that do of course.
    I thought cyclists always should have positioned themselves centrally.

I’m not a cyclist (you couldn’t pay me to cycle on our roads with how aggressive and blind car drivers can be) The problem is drivers over taking close and fast.

There are some arse hole cyclists but they’re quite unlikely to kill or hurt anyone on the same scale a motorist is.

If everyone just paid a bit more attention to the road and the hazards, both cyclists and car drivers, the roads would be a safer place. But so many still drive as close as possible to the car in front and over take bikes, horses etc way too close.

Anyone up for a game of anti-cyclist bingo?
    Road tax
    Insurance
    2 abreast
    Pavements
    Cycle lanes
    Lycra
    No lights
    Going Through Red Lights
    Queen Street
    No bell

I read as well that formally the advice will change to suggest that cyclist use the middle of the road.

Which in a practical sense is absolutely mad.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post

I’m not a cyclist (you couldn’t pay me to cycle on our roads with how aggressive and blind car drivers can be) The problem is drivers over taking close and fast.

There are some arse hole cyclists but they’re quite unlikely to kill or hurt anyone on the same scale a motorist is.

If everyone just paid a bit more attention to the road and the hazards, both cyclists and car drivers, the roads would be a safer place. But so many still drive as close as possible to the car in front and over take bikes, horses etc way too close.
    Following the change of advice, they would be overtaking them a damned site closer in future.

It's crazy and reckless. And I suspect few cyclists would observe this

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I read as well that formally the advice will change to suggest that cyclist use the middle of the road.

Which in a practical sense is absolutely mad.
    isnt it the middle of the lane?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    isnt it the middle of the lane?
    Yes, sorry..the middle of the lane instead of keeping to one side

I don't think that's a big deal, to overtake safely you need to go into the oncoming lane anyway so it's got to be clear.

On how many single carriageway roads does it make overtaking easier if the cyclist is towards the side, as opposed to the middle of the lane? In either instance, to overtake safely, you'd be on the opposite side anyway.

Road tax
    Insurance
    2 abreast
    Pavements
    Cycle lanes
    Lycra
    No lights
    Going Through Red Lights
    Queen Street
    No bell
    Riding at speed, as if they’re all in the Tour de France

in my entire 25 years of driving a motor vehicle on this countries roads, the longest individual time I've been delayed by being stuck behind a cyclist is probably about 2 minutes tops.
    I've never understood why people get so angry about that, lighten up, what were you going to do in those 2 minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post

What the hell are you doing, posting common sense on CCMB?

Road tax
    Insurance
    2 abreast
    Pavements
    Cycle lanes
    Lycra
    No lights
    Going Through Red Lights
    Queen Street
    No bell
    Two’s up as well