+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kids today! Are they really?

Re: Kids today! Are they really?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I didn’t think he’d dropped off in form in recent weeks, he wasn’t turning it on in every game, but he hadn’t been doing that earlier in the season either - for me, he was just showing that bit of inconsistency you’d see from a young player coming into the first team in sides that aren’t fighting a relegation battle.

I think you make a fair point about a sense of anti climax about finding themselves back playing at Leckwith in front of one man and his dog. There’s been stacks of games down the years where a City reserve team with plenty of first teamers in it for one reason or another has been pretty awful and it’s accepted that this is because, for example, the last thing they want is an injury which will rule them out for weeks or months, so why shouldn’t it be the same for players such as Colwill, Evans, Bowen and Bagan?
    I think that there's been a fair bit of expectation put on colwill, but through good will as opposed to critical and high expectation. I can't recall the last creative player that came through to show some promise, and after what we have endured in footballing terms over the past ten years or so, seeing a player like colwill or Davies is the footballing equivalent (for us) of the return of the red squirrel south of Yorkshire for nature enthusiast's! I hope that he and others do not stagnate, it's a very difficult situation that they've been thrust into. Inexperienced manager and a change of style with players with little or no ability to implement it

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I think that there's been a fair bit of expectation put on colwill, but through good will as opposed to critical and high expectation. I can't recall the last creative player that came through to show some promise, and after what we have endured in footballing terms over the past ten years or so, seeing a player like colwill or Davies is the footballing equivalent (for us) of the return of the red squirrel south of Yorkshire for nature enthusiast's! I hope that he and others do not stagnate, it's a very difficult situation that they've been thrust into. Inexperienced manager and a change of style with players with little or no ability to implement it
    Agreed and a great analogy with the red squirrel

Hardly suprising. Colwill has gone from being in a squad for the euros to being not wanted on the bench for a useless squad heading for relegation.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Hardly suprising. Colwill has gone from being in a squad for the euros to being not wanted on the bench for a useless squad heading for relegation.
    Despite being one of the few players to put in a decent performance at any point this season. I can see that being dispiriting

I do feel the youngsters get treated more harshly than the senior players. Colwill for instance being dropped despite being one of our top scorers, Bowen having to "earn his place" back with the seniors after impressing before injury. What has Pack done this season to earn his place in the side? If we're dropping players for poor performances then he should be with the u23s after the disasterclass he put on at Bristol? If you look at our wins this season the youngsters are often directly involved: Colwill at Forest, Davies v Huddersfield, Colwill (again) at Luton. For all this talk of playing young players, we seem to have gone backwards in that regard under Morison

When it became clear over last summer, that the "kids" would be playing a much bigger role in the side going forward than in the past, most welcomed it as a good thing.
    Even if 2 of them make it at this level in the long run, that is still 2 players we don't need to sign, meaning we have more money to spend on the players we do need to.

At the time I remember there being many words of caution, saying that they would likely be inconsistent, have good games and then bad games, and would unlikely be in the side week in week out as they continue their football education. Patience is what is required.

Fast forward a few months all that goes out the window. you don't have to look very hard and you can read various comments like "hasn't got it" ,"league one at best" etc etc about the youngsters.
    Its a real pity we didn't make time to bring through youth in our more successful sides, as it has to be a lot easier to get upto speed when the team is playing well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    When it became clear over last summer, that the "kids" would be playing a much bigger role in the side going forward than in the past, most welcomed it as a good thing.
    Even if 2 of them make it at this level in the long run, that is still 2 players we don't need to sign, meaning we have more money to spend on the players we do need to.

At the time I remember there being many words of caution, saying that they would likely be inconsistent, have good games and then bad games, and would unlikely be in the side week in week out as they continue their football education. Patience is what is required.

Fast forward a few months all that goes out the window. you don't have to look very hard and you can read various comments like "hasn't got it" ,"league one at best" etc etc about the youngsters.
    Its a real pity we didn't make time to bring through youth in our more successful sides, as it has to be a lot easier to get upto speed when the team is playing well.
    Good post.

We need patience for the younger players (and accept some mistakes), and a bit more consistency when it comes to instant judgement and opinions from pundits and posters.

This has been a shocker of a season for many reasons, but if we come out of it with a large group of academy players established in the first team squad, a changed playing style (again patience needed) based on more possession and technical skills, and our place in the Championship maintained, I will be content. Transition, but not melt-down.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Agreed and a great analogy with the red squirrel
    That was brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    the footballing equivalent (for us) of the return of the red squirrel south of Yorkshire for nature enthusiast's!
    I love that!
    What a great analogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

This was the reason for my OP though to be fair and why I'm interested in the level of protection you're advocating. I'm not saying it's wrong. I think I'm more concerned it's misplaced. It's why I wanted thoughts about age and development. The distinction between players in their teens to young men in their early twenties.

To be cold-blooded for a moment, don't we pay to see people at the best in their profession? Does it really matter what age a player is if they make mistakes or aren't doing the basics of what we expect from people being paid very well to perform in a sporting arena?

So what if younger players are criticised? Why protect a certain group and not another? Aren't all players equal when they get selected for the starting eleven and pull on the shirt? We make allowances, sure, but excuses? Isn't that double standards and selective?