+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: LETTER FROM CARDIFF FLO, regarding Bristol City

LETTER FROM CARDIFF FLO, regarding Bristol City

We took 27 of our staff and senior stewards to the stadium in an effort to defuse any situations and welcome our supporters with familiar faces. The home club welcomed us, and we were there alongside their stewards in the away end. Within 15 minutes of the opening two smoke bombs had been let off in the upper and lower concourses. Many fans decided to stay outside by the Guinness bar having a drink and a sing song, no problem at all.
    The home supervisor assisted me in getting at least a dozen fans in who either had ticket issues (needing reprints) or issues with covid passes, every request I had the Bristol guy helped with.
    Once the outside areas became quiet, I went into the away end with a senior member of our staff to use the toilets only to be confronted with a totally wrecked facility, unusable, unsafe, and unacceptable. I had used the same toilet 2 hours earlier when we first arrived and it was heated, clean, well lit, had soap dispensers and hand towels and plenty of urinals and cubicles for that area of the stand, to see it like this was embarrassing to be honest as we had to call the control room to get it closed off and condemned, unsafe to use.
    On 18 minutes our fans were great with their applauding the life of poor Bradley Jones, a city fan who sadly lost his life aged 18 last week, it was good of our fans to do that and what we should be all about.
    At half time I heard reports that more toilets had now been damaged in different areas of the stand including a ladies toilet block, where the lighting was broken, we were directing some female fans to the disabled toilets, again totally embarrassing to see.
    At full time we went to inspect the damage again and it really was worse than you can imagine there were also broken seats on display and one Cardiff fans with the stewards who had been caught on camera breaking the seat, no doubt more will follow, there are state of the art cameras in their control room and others are bound to be identified, as well as the ones that threw objects onto the field.
    We had to go to a de brief after the match with the Bristol safety officer, who, in all fairness, was very magnanimous in the way he spoke with us considering the mess our fans had left. For us though, it was embarrassing, and we felt ashamed of some of our so-called supporters.
    We had reports of disorder outside the stadium before and after the match, unfortunately this is always likely to happen with local Derbies but in these days of camera technology it is idiotic because there is so much evidence available, whether from the police or fans them selves with their smart phones, this was the case yesterday and more arrests and club bans are bound to follow. This is something we expect to see, we don’t like it but expect some sort of disorder throughout a day like yesterday.
    However, smashing up facilities, whose sole purpose is to assist our own fans, is mind blowing really.
    The videos show the damage but the one where the people causing it, is the most alarming really, they were not kids, they were revelling in the fact they were destroying the toilets, laughing, and joking, no doubt half hour later busting for a piss with nowhere to go lol. 40 years ago, our fans used to smash up trains and we would be held up for ours after emergency stop cords were pulled, eventually the “specials” were stopped, so its not a new phenomenon but one I had hoped was confined to the history books.
    Can we prove it was the guys on the trains that caused the damage, not really, but the ones in the video are apparently not known to our travel club? What we do know is that the disorder outside the stadium and in the city, was not attributed to the 16 coaches, or two minibuses parked over in the industrial estate.
    Repercussions could be that next time we play Bristol tougher measures will need to be put in place which will affect all of our fans including the vast majority and it also means we move further away again from removing Swansea restrictions, a step backwards. We will also be put on the radar now for all our away games, which means more stewarding, more police more scrutiny more hassle for our genuine fans.
    Implications could be that the fans pay a financial cost by way of increased booking fees to cover damages caused by a minority of idiots, again this will affect the genuine majority.
    Alongside the club measures and police procedures We are going to have to self-police and report or try to stop people if possible, doing this vandalism and self-destructive behaviour because it affects us all. We need to get it out that this behaviour is not acceptable and make it clear that club bans and the more severe custodial bans are being issued, we have to make sure the deterrent that the bans are designed for, are known to all our fans especially the younger element and the fact that they are being issued.

Re: LETTER FROM CARDIFF FLO, regarding Bristol City

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    We took 27 of our staff and senior stewards to the stadium in an effort to defuse any situations and welcome our supporters with familiar faces. The home club welcomed us, and we were there alongside their stewards in the away end. Within 15 minutes of the opening two smoke bombs had been let off in the upper and lower concourses. Many fans decided to stay outside by the Guinness bar having a drink and a sing song, no problem at all.
    The home supervisor assisted me in getting at least a dozen fans in who either had ticket issues (needing reprints) or issues with covid passes, every request I had the Bristol guy helped with.
    Once the outside areas became quiet, I went into the away end with a senior member of our staff to use the toilets only to be confronted with a totally wrecked facility, unusable, unsafe, and unacceptable. I had used the same toilet 2 hours earlier when we first arrived and it was heated, clean, well lit, had soap dispensers and hand towels and plenty of urinals and cubicles for that area of the stand, to see it like this was embarrassing to be honest as we had to call the control room to get it closed off and condemned, unsafe to use.
    On 18 minutes our fans were great with their applauding the life of poor Bradley Jones, a city fan who sadly lost his life aged 18 last week, it was good of our fans to do that and what we should be all about.
    At half time I heard reports that more toilets had now been damaged in different areas of the stand including a ladies toilet block, where the lighting was broken, we were directing some female fans to the disabled toilets, again totally embarrassing to see.
    At full time we went to inspect the damage again and it really was worse than you can imagine there were also broken seats on display and one Cardiff fans with the stewards who had been caught on camera breaking the seat, no doubt more will follow, there are state of the art cameras in their control room and others are bound to be identified, as well as the ones that threw objects onto the field.
    We had to go to a de brief after the match with the Bristol safety officer, who, in all fairness, was very magnanimous in the way he spoke with us considering the mess our fans had left. For us though, it was embarrassing, and we felt ashamed of some of our so-called supporters.
    We had reports of disorder outside the stadium before and after the match, unfortunately this is always likely to happen with local Derbies but in these days of camera technology it is idiotic because there is so much evidence available, whether from the police or fans them selves with their smart phones, this was the case yesterday and more arrests and club bans are bound to follow. This is something we expect to see, we don’t like it but expect some sort of disorder throughout a day like yesterday.
    However, smashing up facilities, whose sole purpose is to assist our own fans, is mind blowing really.
    The videos show the damage but the one where the people causing it, is the most alarming really, they were not kids, they were revelling in the fact they were destroying the toilets, laughing, and joking, no doubt half hour later busting for a piss with nowhere to go lol. 40 years ago, our fans used to smash up trains and we would be held up for ours after emergency stop cords were pulled, eventually the “specials” were stopped, so its not a new phenomenon but one I had hoped was confined to the history books.
    Can we prove it was the guys on the trains that caused the damage, not really, but the ones in the video are apparently not known to our travel club? What we do know is that the disorder outside the stadium and in the city, was not attributed to the 16 coaches, or two minibuses parked over in the industrial estate.
    Repercussions could be that next time we play Bristol tougher measures will need to be put in place which will affect all of our fans including the vast majority and it also means we move further away again from removing Swansea restrictions, a step backwards. We will also be put on the radar now for all our away games, which means more stewarding, more police more scrutiny more hassle for our genuine fans.
    Implications could be that the fans pay a financial cost by way of increased booking fees to cover damages caused by a minority of idiots, again this will affect the genuine majority.
    Alongside the club measures and police procedures We are going to have to self-police and report or try to stop people if possible, doing this vandalism and self-destructive behaviour because it affects us all. We need to get it out that this behaviour is not acceptable and make it clear that club bans and the more severe custodial bans are being issued, we have to make sure the deterrent that the bans are designed for, are known to all our fans especially the younger element and the fact that they are being issued.
    Embarrassing and sickening mindless behaviour.

What I find bemusing about situations such as these though, which are not confined to our "fan base" by the way, is that tens of thousands of pounds are spent on the police so why are they not stamping this senseless vandalism at source?
    Yes, we have better ways to monitor and identify areas and culprits but why wait until the damage is done before they are used?

Banning orders and fines mean feck all to these idiots, in fact most see them as a badge of honour.
    I wouldn't be surprised if many ignore their bans anyway.

We all know it is a minority who are the* perpetrators so this could and should be dealt with a lot simpler and cheaper rather than the drawn out and costly processes that are in place these days.

Preventative measures should be exercised not reactive.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Embarrassing and sickening mindless behaviour.

What I find bemusing about situations such as these though, which are not confined to our "fan base" by the way, is that tens of thousands of pounds are spent on the police so why are they not stamping this senseless vandalism at source?
    Yes, we have better ways to monitor and identify areas and culprits but why wait until the damage is done before they are used?

Banning orders and fines mean feck all to these idiots, in fact most see them as a badge of honour.
    I wouldn't be surprised if many ignore their bans anyway.

We all know it is a minority who are the* perpetrators so this could and should be dealt with a lot simpler and cheaper rather than the drawn out and costly processes that are in place these days.

Preventative measures should be exercised not reactive.
    Criminal charges are likely to be pressed here. Leading to more than bans. There’s videos going around of those who’ve done it. Strangely none seem familiar, making me think that a lot of those involved were not regular City travellers.

And it involves grown men- not kids.

Consequences of this are.. a load of arrests and possible jail sentences. Big bill for our club- could affect squad strengthening. Possible reduced allocations and pubs refusing to take out fans. Loads of us missed big chunks of the game queuing for the toilets. Thanks a lot to the turds that did this

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Criminal charges are likely to be pressed here. Leading to more than bans. There’s videos going around of those who’ve done it. Strangely none seem familiar, making me think that a lot of those involved were not regular City travellers.

Consequences of this are.. a load of arrests and possible jail sentences. Big bill for our club- could affect squad strengthening. Possible reduced allocations and pubs refusing to take out fans. Loads of us missed big chunks of the game queuing for the toilets. Thanks a lot to the turds that did this
    What a bunch of pathetic twats; let's hope there is jail time.

Didn't tickets sell out before reaching STs? Tickets obviously been sold on

Not arguing with anything you have posted.
    Harsher sentences there may be, but my point about preventing these instances and not reacting to them stands.

If the people were dealt with at source, whether fans or not, then the probable harsh sanctions on the club that you mention would be avoided.

Put the CCTV footage up on cardiff TV for us all to see….lifetime bans and maybe a 5 year away member ban if anyone is found to have sold tickets on.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    First of all well done to you and all the other stewards who take on this ask that is sometimes thankless.

T would be interesting to hear your comments on the part that alcohol and drugs might play.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Didn't tickets sell out before reaching STs? Tickets obviously been sold on
    They sold out at 3+ aways. Way before getting to ST/General Sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Put the CCTV footage up on cardiff TV for us all to see….lifetime bans and maybe a 5 year away member ban if anyone is found to have sold tickets on.
    This. Put the videos into general circulation & let’s name & shame.