+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Swansea fans and Steve Cooper

Swansea fans and Steve Cooper

I remember the jacks fans were on Coopers back regarding team selections and formations.
    He did get to the play offs but had a better squad there than we have at present yet he was making mistakes due to his inexperience of managing at league level.
    A season or two later and he's doing an excellent job at Forest and seems to have learned from his time at Swansea.
    So are we treating an inexperienced Morison who is at the same stage of his career the same way the impatient jacks treated Cooper?

Re: Swansea fans and Steve Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    I remember the jacks fans were on Coopers back regarding team selections and formations.
    He did get to the play offs but had a better squad there than we have at present yet he was making mistakes due to his inexperience of managing at league level.
    A season or two later and he's doing an excellent job at Forest and seems to have learned from his time at Swansea.
    So are we treating an inexperienced Morison who is at the same stage of his career the same way the impatient jacks treated Cooper?
    When you say 'We' i'm guessing that you mean a few blokes on this message board? Morison isn't getting any grief at matches or from the local press.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    When you say 'We' i'm guessing that you mean a few blokes on this message board? Morison isn't getting any grief at matches or from the local press.
    Well yes it's it's aimed at us on here.
    What's your opinion?

Cooper had been coaching at the highest level in youth football for ten years before he got the Swansea job.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Cooper had been coaching at the highest level in youth football for ten years before he got the Swansea job.
    It's not league football though he was still a bit wet behind the ears.

It's not league football though he was still a bit wet behind the ears.
    I'm not sure what mistakes you think he made at Swansea. He massively overachieved getting that team to the play-offs two years in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    I'm not sure what mistakes you think he made at Swansea. He massively overachieved getting that team to the play-offs two years in a row.
    I'm going by the jacks opinions whilst he was there

I'm going by the jacks opinions whilst he was there
    How do you know what their opinions were? Looks like you’re having a bit of a mare here.

I can see what you're trying to say, but Cooper and Swansea never found themselves in the position we are in right now. I'm not privy to what went on at the Liberty, but my feeling was that Cooper wanted funds, to enable the club to move onwards from what he had already achieved. When that wasn't forthcoming, Cooper and the Jacks parted company. Judging by their recent performances, I'd say Cooper was bang on the nail, and either the club didn't want to spend, or didn't have the money available. Cooper's experience was clear - he's now doing well at Forest, and would have done a good job here, given the chance.
    Morison, though, is trying to rebuild a team with his hands tied behind his back. He's also learning whilst in the job, which isn't really the best situation to be in - learning, rebuilding and fighting relegation all at the same time. Add in Covid, an ageing side, and a distant owner, and you have a recipe for struggle. If he keeps us up, he'll have done his job.

Cooper will go onto have a long career in management. Steve Morison won’t.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I agree with this opinion.

People like Cooper, Howe or Potter are football managers/head coaches. It’s their vocation.

I’m not as convinced by “ex-pros” who fall into roles after their careers have come to an end. They tend to be a bit hit and miss imo.

You could get a Dyche (if that’s what floats your boat) or you could get an Ince.

Morison doesn’t come across as particularly tuned into the role he is currently occupying.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    How do you know what their opinions were? Looks like you’re having a bit of a mare here.
    I work with a few and know they wern't fussed on their forum..
    No mare here for me but if that's what you think crack on.
    Instead of being arsey maybe reply with an opinion regarding the topic

Cooper also won the U17's World Cup, the guy's clearly a good coach

Most of our managers never appear to work again after a stint here do they?

I work with a few and know they wern't fussed on their forum..
    No mare here for me but if that's what you think crack on.
    Only because they are so deluded they still thought they were too good for this league

Morison’s match day honeymoon will soon end if the home crowd observes much more league 2 stuff.

There are two really good articles about Steve Cooper and well worth reading. The first was on his appointment as Swansea City's manager and the second is more recent when he joined Nottingham Forest.

I've got a lot of time for the guy and think we missed out big time by not going for him, though I'm really not convinced our board and owner would have had him on their radar at all.

As for Swansea fans not wanting him, they suffer from delusions of grandeur and hark park to their 7 years in the PL as a divine right to be back there again without realising that because they got relegated they needed to go through some pain (even though Cooper took them to the playoffs) before being serious contenders for that league again.

Compare that to another fan base like Arsenal's dickheads of the Wenger Out fraternity then you're not just dealing with delusion but stupidity and entitlement. They had been delivered top-flight, outstanding football by one of the greats for 19 consecutive Champions League seasons.

What do either of these have in common with our current manager? Nothing. What do they have in common with each other - surprisingly, in terms of an understanding of the game, management, and brains, a lot. I'm pretty confident Cooper will achieve great things and manage at PL level or another Top European League.

I'd like to see him manage us and Wales too. He's only 42 and was born in Pontypridd.

My opinion is you're talking utter nonsense. Steve Cooper had a decade's worth of coaching experience in his locker when he took the job at Swansea. He'd spent four years at Liverpool and five years in the England set-up, where he coached some of the very best young players in the country.

Morison had spent a few months coaching youngsters at Northampton and Millwall before he arrived here to work with his old mate Neil Harris.

You've suggested Morison is currently at the same stage of his career as Cooper was when he joined Swansea. You're hopelessly wide of the mark.

I listen to a couple of podcasts with Elis James, a comedian and avid Swansea fan. Despite his allegiance, I really like him. However recently, he has made the point about the so called "Swansea Way". Now, in terms of the style of football they play I would have said this is a relatively recent thing, but James labours the point that this so called attractive keep ball style dates back to the fifties, and is something that Swansea fans demand. They would put this "philosophy" over league position and trophies. Now, when Cooper left Swansea, despite leading them to the play offs twice, it suited the Jacks narrative that this was down to them demanding their so called "way". At the time, however, the general thought was he had left due to foreseeing issues in terms of transfers that coming summer. If that was the case, I don't think he would have come anywhere near us if the chance had arisen.

Shame we didn't take a punt on Cooper when he hadn't had a proper manager's job really. Late to the party again. The problem now is we have someone who's inexperienced and showing he is quite naive but people think is a turning point in the club's ethos and the start of some revolution so won't have a bad word said about him but in reality we need someone a bit better to be leading that overhaul. If we manage to stay up I would throw everything at trying to get Nathan Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    Shame we didn't take a punt on Cooper when he hadn't had a proper manager's job really. Late to the party again. The problem now is we have someone who's inexperienced and showing he is quite naive but people think is a turning point in the club's ethos and the start of some revolution so won't have a bad word said about him but in reality we need someone a bit better to be leading that overhaul. If we manage to stay up I would throw everything at trying to get Nathan Jones.
    The risk was huge.

If it didn't work out we'd be calling the club amateur.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Foxton View Post
    I listen to a couple of podcasts with Elis James, a comedian and avid Swansea fan. Despite his allegiance, I really like him. However recently, he has made the point about the so called "Swansea Way". Now, in terms of the style of football they play I would have said this is a relatively recent thing, but James labours the point that this so called attractive keep ball style dates back to the fifties, and is something that Swansea fans demand. They would put this "philosophy" over league position and trophies. Now, when Cooper left Swansea, despite leading them to the play offs twice, it suited the Jacks narrative that this was down to them demanding their so called "way". At the time, however, the general thought was he had left due to foreseeing issues in terms of transfers that coming summer. If that was the case, I don't think he would have come anywhere near us if the chance had arisen.
    Forest had to negotiate compensation with Swansea to release Cooper from his contract, so the Jacks could probably have stopped him coming here even if he wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Foxton View Post
    I like Elis James, but surely that's bollocks about it being a style of play since the 50s.
    your typical Neil Warnock side these days is probably closer in style to the attractive keep ball teams than a team from the 50s

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I like Elis James, but surely that's bollocks about it being a style of play since the 50s.
    your typical Neil Warnock side these days is probably closer in style to the attractive keep ball teams than a team from the 50s
    I agree, I also think its bollocks that they would favour style over substance if it meant staying up. He definitely said it and I was thinking "that's not right". Cooper going just fitted in with their cock eyed view that Swansea is some footballing hotbed.