+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Our best transfer window...

Our best transfer window...

Looking back through the archives, in 2006/07 we signed:

Chopra, Whittingham, Roger Johnson, Steve McPhail and Kevin McNaughton (amongst others)

Have we ever had a window that can compete with that for players who have had a long term impact at the club?. For a total of less that we'd just sold Cameron Jerome for.

Compare that with our Premier league signings:

13/14
    Medel, Caulker, Cornelius, Daehli, Odemwingie, KTC, Eikrem, Brayford, Cala, Simon Moore, Kenwyne Jones, Fabio, Jo Inge Berget
    £40 odd million.

18/19
    Sala :(, Murphy, Decordova Reid, Cunningham, Smithies, Bacuna
    another £40 odd million

Only really Smithies has been worth it i'd say.

Re: Our best transfer window...

Summed up like that, good grief, we didn’t half waste a lot of money after each promotion

07/08 we signed

Fowler
    Hasslebaink
    Sinclair
    Kasper schmichael on loan
    And Rambo signed a professional contract

Imagine they were all in their prime..

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Summed up like that, good grief, we didn’t half waste a lot of money after each promotion
    13/14 was the worst window, not only did we waste a vast amount of money on the wrong players MM also made sure Tan would never trust a manager again.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    13/14 was the worst window, not only did we waste a vast amount of money on the wrong players MM also made sure Tan would never trust a manager again.
    Nonsense, Tan went on to trust Warnock with plenty of money, much to our detriment

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    you needed it summed up? We are a mug club that gets taken to the cleaners

those 06/07 transfers though, absolutely transformed us as a club

98-99

Delaney, Carpenter, Ford, Williams, Mitchell, Bonner, Brazier (loan), Hill, Legg, Bowen + a few more. Outlay 85k and 50k of that was on Dai Thomas! (35k on Carpenter).

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

Chopra, Whittingham, Roger Johnson, Steve McPhail and Kevin McNaughton (amongst others)

Have we ever had a window that can compete with that for players who have had a long term impact at the club?. For a total of less that we'd just sold Cameron Jerome for.

13/14
    Medel, Caulker, Cornelius, Daehli, Odemwingie, KTC, Eikrem, Brayford, Cala, Simon Moore, Kenwyne Jones, Fabio, Jo Inge Berget
    £40 odd million.

18/19
    another £40 odd million

To be fair, these are not windows. They are whole seasons. We didn't spend enough in the summer either time we got to the EPL. Especially under Warnock. Cunnigham and Smithies were non-factors.

13/14
    £40 odd million.

18/19
    another £40 odd million

2001-02: Alexander, Kavanagh, Thorne, Prior
    2011-12: Conway, Cowie, Gunnarsson, Mason, Turner. Much of the side that won the Championship.
    I'd also add preparations for the 2017-18 promotion season, when we signed Hoilett and Bamba who were out of contract during the previous season and added Etheridge, Mendez-Laing and Paterson for not much money.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    2001-02: Alexander, Kavanagh, Thorne, Prior
    2011-12: Conway, Cowie, Gunnarsson, Mason, Turner. Much of the side that won the Championship.
    I'd also add preparations for the 2017-18 promotion season, when we signed Hoilett and Bamba who were out of contract during the previous season and added Etheridge, Mendez-Laing and Paterson for not much money.
    Yeah 2001-02 was very good, but for the amount of money we were throwing about for the division we were in it bloody well should have been.

Yeah 2001-02 was very good, but for the amount of money we were throwing about for the division we were in it bloody well should have been.
    I know we talk about Dave Jones's teams having a soft underbelly, that side did as well. On form we were the best in the division for the two seasons we were there. Off form we were terrible. Kavanagh will be a bit of a club legend for that goal against Leeds but he used to cop a lot of flack at the time.

Im not convinced 2001/2002 was that great.

No way was Thorne a 1.7m player. Prior was hardly great. We overspent and ultimately failed.

The money we splashed about we should have done far better.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

No way was Thorne a 1.7m player. Prior was hardly great. We overspent and ultimately failed.

But that was our fault. Thorne was a £1.7m player because that's what we offered. He did link up well with Earnshaw.

But that was our fault. Thorne was a £1.7m player because that's what we offered. He did link up well with Earnshaw.
    I dont disagree. It was our fault. This period was the start of our reckless spending.

I often wonder what happened if wed lost that play off. Would Sam had gone sooner? Admin or a buyer who knows.

The amounts we splashed out we shouldnt the following season scraped into the play off positions.

The business we did wasn't that great in my opinion.

I may be wrong but i think Brighton signed Zamora for less than we paid for Thorne.

14/15 was an interesting one - still had a decent amount of premier league money

Signed:
    Manga, Morrison who contributed plenty over the years
    Pilkington, Peltier and Malone who were pretty good

Players like Javi Guerra, Guido Burgstaller, Adam le Fondre, who should have been really top players at that level, just the manager didn't seem to have a clue about what he was trying to do.

13/14
    £40 odd million.

18/19
    another £40 odd million

We made a profit on BDR.

Our best windows was the transfer embargo window, and Malky's first window. That was sensational.

Eh? Thorne scored 46 goals in 126 games and was a perfect foil for Earnie.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    We made a profit on BDR.

Our best windows was the transfer embargo window, and Malky's first window. That was sensational.
    we made a profit or most of our money back on a few of them, but they didn't themselves have any lasting impact on the side, like a whittingham or a McNaughton

I dont disagree. It was our fault. This period was the start of our reckless spending.

I often wonder what happened if wed lost that play off. Would Sam had gone sooner? Admin or a buyer who knows.

The amounts we splashed out we shouldnt the following season scraped into the play off positions.

The business we did wasn't that great in my opinion.

I may be wrong but i think Brighton signed Zamora for less than we paid for Thorne.
    I think they paid £100k for him. Zamora was one hell of a player. I could have imagined him and Earnshaw up front together.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    98-99

Delaney, Carpenter, Ford, Williams, Mitchell, Bonner, Brazier (loan), Hill, Legg, Bowen + a few more. Outlay 85k and 50k of that was on Dai Thomas! (35k on Carpenter).
    Delaney was a great investment and a real cut above everyone else, can't remember fee but it was in the 000s of thousands to Villa.

Carpenter was solid at that level.

Danny Hill was a bit of a luxury player, Matt Brazier was okay, as was Graham Mitchell. Mike Ford was in his twilight years coming back.

Dai Thomas burned brightly but quickly!

Legg, Bowen and Bonner were great signings.

I think they paid £100k for him. Zamora was one hell of a player. I could have imagined him and Earnshaw up front together.
    Brighton signed Zamora 18 months before we signed Thorne. We only signed Thorne because we had a 2m bid for Zamora turned down.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Brighton signed Zamora 18 months before we signed Thorne. We only signed Thorne because we had a 2m bid for Zamora turned down.
    Peter Thorne did well for us, but imagine if we had signed Zamora. That could have been huge.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Peter Thorne did well for us, but imagine if we had signed Zamora. That could have been huge.
    Zamora and Earnie. Zamora scored 70 in 119 for Brighton. We might have gone straight through if we'd had them. Gabbs, Collins, Kav, Zamora, Earnie. Basis of a half decent PL side.