Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
https://clwbpeldroed.org/2022/01/25/...-wales-fa-cup/

Risca United secure huge coup as former Wales international joins.

Risca United have made a marquee signing by securing the services of former Cardiff City and Wales international Paul Parry.

The 41-year-old makes a return to senior-level football eight years after he last played for Shrewsbury Town.
It's not a world I'm familiar with so I could be talking out of turn, but I'm amazed they've signed three players from English teams. Two of them are from the Bristol/Gloucestershire area, which in itself seems far enough to me to drive to/from, but the other fella is from Stratford-upon-Avon. For all I know, he could live much closer to south Wales, but it genuinely surprises me that players would travel that far to play lower-league Welsh football, even taking in to account any obvious financial incentive. I remember being told that Bala Town FC would often field a team of players who were all driving over from Cheshire, Manchester etc to play. Again obviously money-oriented, but at least Bala were playing to a reasonable level, as well as offering the possibility of European football.