+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bagan - rare and valuable

Bagan - rare and valuable

I'm beginning to think we might have a problem holding on to this guy. His last couple of displays have been excellent, and now he's added scoring goals to his CV. He also seems to have learnt all the skills that were missing from his game when he first broke into the side. Now he tracks back, tackles, runs at players, can pass short or long, beats his man, and scores. Not all at the same time, obviously, but add to that the fact that he's left-footed, young, and confident in his game, and all of a sudden we have a desirable asset on our books. I wonder how long he'll be with us?

Re: Bagan - rare and valuable

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I'm beginning to think we might have a problem holding on to this guy. His last couple of displays have been excellent, and now he's added scoring goals to his CV. He also seems to have learnt all the skills that were missing from his game when he first broke into the side. Now he tracks back, tackles, runs at players, can pass short or long, beats his man, and scores. Not all at the same time, obviously, but add to that the fact that he's left-footed, young, and confident in his game, and all of a sudden we have a desirable asset on our books. I wonder how long he'll be with us?
    I have always rated him. In my opinion he was looking like this when he initially broke into the team when Bennett was injured. He was doing good, but got dropped when Bennett was fit. I felt he deserved to keep his place. When he did get another chance, he got a shoulder injury before he could get back into his rhythm. And now looks like that player again. The main thing new to his game, as you allude to. is that he is getting past players on the outside now. Something he rarely did before. I am not sure we may be about to lose him, unless big bucks are offered. I hope he can keep up this good form. If he does, will doughty (who was looking like the real deal) get back in the team when fit.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    I have always rated him. In my opinion he was looking like this when he initially broke into the team when Bennett was injured. He was doing good, but got dropped when Bennett was fit. I felt he deserved to keep his place. When he did get another chance, he got a shoulder injury before he could get back into his rhythm. And now looks like that player again. The main thing new to his game, as you allude to. is that he is getting past players on the outside now. Something he rarely did before. I am not sure we may be about to lose him, unless big bucks are offered. I hope he can keep up this good form. If he does, will doughty (who was looking like the real deal) get back in the team when fit.
    Spedger
    Doughty was showing promising signs - I wouldn't go as far as to say he was "looking like the real deal", that would be too premature.

I didn't always rate Bagan, I thought he looked defensively weak at times.
    However, I remember a young Joe Ledley looking as weak as a kitten; the next season he had physically matured and started to look the part.

International

He's improved quickly over the last few games, he was solid and the goal yesterday was superb, lets hope he can keep it going, now we have two wide players teams need to try and double up on, that should leave more space for the strikers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Doughty was showing promising signs - I wouldn't go as far as to say he was "looking like the real deal", that would be too premature.

I didn't always rate Bagan, I thought he looked defensively weak at times.
    However, I remember a young Joe Ledley looking as weak as a kitten; the next season he had physically matured and started to look the part.
    Agree entirely

I thought Bagan was our weakest link a few months ago. I am always happy to change my viewpoint and he’s certainly improved massively.

Still has questions about him but he’s really progressing as you’d hope. Good luck to the lad

Really hope he has a strong end to the season.

You've beaten me to it - I was intending to post something very similar this evening. I think this lad has great potential and it would be a surprise if various Premier League clubs aren't monitoring him. He could develop into a really top player. He seems to have all of the necessary attributes.

Not that rare, there is already a thread about him on the main page!

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    Spedger
    Agree. He's always looked so comfortable on the ball, passes cleanly and accurately, and two-footed. With Dramah the best full back pairing we've had in years.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Agree. He's always looked so comfortable on the ball, passes cleanly and accurately, and two-footed. With Dramah the best full back pairing we've had in years.
    It would be nice if we would use the two as fullbacks instead of wingbacks and have the confidence to go 4-4-2: it might help us gain more useful possession.

Another goal, and another couple of grand on the price tag...

I think Doughty and Bagan give us real options and cover.

We're not missing Giles

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    We're not missing Giles
    Yup, who would have thought we'd be saying that!

Bagan has a year left on his contact after this season. It's probably time to start working on an extension.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Bagan has a year left on his contact after this season. It's probably time to start working on an extension.
    Yes, a two-year extension. Imagine the further boost that would give him to his already high confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Yes, a two-year extension. Imagine the further boost that would give him to his already high confidence.

Ironically if it wasn’t for Doughtys injury at Barnsley he probably wouldn’t have had a look in. I don’t think Morison was particularly fond of him prior
    to this run in the team hence he went out and brought Doughty in.

Bagan has responded to the challenge though,
    couldn’t ask for anymore from him.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Ironically if it wasn’t for Doughtys injury at Barnsley he probably wouldn’t have had a look in. I don’t think Morison was particularly fond of him prior
    to this run in the team hence he went out and brought Doughty in.

Bagan has responded to the challenge though,
    couldn’t ask for anymore from him.
    Maybe just the push he needed. I’d like us to have both for next season.