+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Whitchurch Chip Alley.

Re: Whitchurch Chip Alley.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Next people will be saying that Tiger Bay never existed
    If I’m going down The Packet or Eli Jenkins etc I can’t bring myself to say the Bay It’s still going down The Docks to me. Those Sunday afternoons of years gone by, The Baltimore, The Yardarm, Bab’s Bistro were always ‘Down The Docks’. The Bay was further up Bute St, The Paddlesteamer & The Bosun.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    If I’m going down The Packet or Eli Jenkins etc I can’t bring myself to say the Bay It’s still going down The Docks to me. Those Sunday afternoons of years gone by, The Baltimore, The Yardarm, Bab’s Bistro were always ‘Down The Docks’. The Bay was further up Bute St, The Paddlesteamer & The Bosun.
    Back in the day stories like this used to be about the olden days.

I worked in natwest for a while and couldn't remember the name of my lunchtime haunt til now - The Baltimore. Found myself in there about midnight once - bit of an eye opener.
    Gorge with George on West Bute Street was the best place for food.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Back in the day stories like this used to be about the olden days.
    Not the olden days to me though, we’re talking the 90s and 00s, hardly a tomato season away. Still ‘The Docks’ though, Cardiff Bay is so phoney.

What’s the area where the row of council houses are on Tyndall St called? The row on the right hand side when you come under the flyover after the Magic Roundabout. By rights it should be Newtown, or should it?

The Magic Roundabout, now that’s a name that became the accepted name because the locals called it that not ‘The Cardiff Magic Roundabout Quango’.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Mr Coray of 'Coray and co said that putting a Domino's in that location will 'Cost Lives' What an absolute spanner.
    Hairdressers! What do they know

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I worked in natwest for a while and couldn't remember the name of my lunchtime haunt til now - The Baltimore. Found myself in there about midnight once - bit of an eye opener.
    Gorge with George on West Bute Street was the best place for food.
    I worked for Nat West backin the 70's.

Mainly in Park Place branch but also Llandaff North, Roath,Cyncoed and Wellfield Road.

Only Roath left now

I visited the Docks branch a few times. A huge branch with virtually no staff by the 70's.

Also long gone now

Not the olden days to me though, we’re talking the 90s and 00s, hardly a tomato season away. Still ‘The Docks’ though, Cardiff Bay is so phoney.

What’s the area where the row of council houses are on Tyndall St called? The row on the right hand side when you come under the flyover after the Magic Roundabout. By rights it should be Newtown, or should it?

The Magic Roundabout, now that’s a name that became the accepted name because the locals called it that not ‘The Cardiff Magic Roundabout Quango’.
    Tell us about the day you cheered Captain Scott off Mr P!

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Tell us about the day you cheered Captain Scott off Mr P!
    The meal in The Royal Hotel was fantastic, got so pissed, I missed the bloody boat!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    That is the only answer.

Chip Alley and Chippy Lane are from the warped imagination of outsiders and local media tw@ts who tend to float in when the rugby is on.

Locals know it only as Caroline St.
    According to this article from 2019 the then owner of Dorothy's, who's father in law opened it in 1953 seems to call it Chippy Lane.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/mbzq...akeaway-street

I also recall it being called Chippy Lane back in the seventies.

When do you think the "imagined" name first started then Mike (or Splott Parker or anyone else)

I will do some further research when I've got time. I'm just starting the second year of my OU History degree and currently the Reformation takes precedence over Chippy er Caroline Street!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Apparently the Cardiffian did a survey and on top the majority of people refer to it as Chippy Lane. 2nd came Chippy Alley and 3rd with just 18% Caroline Street.

So simple rename Caroline St Chippy Lane , Whitchurch can then be free to be Chippy Alley. Everyones happy.
    Did they bollocks. If you survey morons you will get stupid answers.

The only person I knew in real life who I've ever heard call it anything other than Caroline Street is now a registered sex offender. Proper people call it Caroline Street because that is it's ****ing name. Perverts call it chippy lane or some such nonsense.

And Whitchurch can **** off. My local pizza place is a Papa John's. I'd love a dominos. Who eats at Papa John's? Have these people never even tried another pizza? Another take away? Any other food at all?

And while I'm ranting. WOL for ****s sake sort your website out. It's an absolute mess

The meal in The Royal Hotel was fantastic, got so pissed, I missed the bloody boat!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    According to this article from 2019 the then owner of Dorothy's, who's father in law opened it in 1953 seems to call it Chippy Lane.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/mbzq...akeaway-street

I also recall it being called Chippy Lane back in the seventies.

When do you think the "imagined" name first started then Mike (or Splott Parker or anyone else)

I will do some further research when I've got time. I'm just starting the second year of my OU History degree and currently the Reformation takes precedence over Chippy er Caroline Street!!
    Not being horrible but bugger your research. I’ve knocked about town since the late 60s, I’ve been there, lived it, drank in the pubs and clubs. This ‘Lane’ and ‘Alley’ nonsense has only come about through piss poor journalism trying to create ‘something’. Started around mid 90s perhaps and sneered at by most in my experience. Best to avoid folk who use such phrases.

‘Chippy Lane’ should be booted into touch with ‘The ‘Diff’ and “The Old Lady’.

Lets put this to bed for the final time. No Cardiffian worth their salt, would ever refer to Caroline St, as “Chippy lane’ or ‘chip alley’.
    Only foreigners and Gogs do that.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Lets put this to bed for the final time. No Cardiffian worth their salt, would ever refer to Caroline St, as “Chippy lane’ or ‘chip alley’.
    I call it "that street with all the chippies".

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I call it "that street with all the chippies".
    Why would you do that? Strange.!

Why would you do that? Strange.!
    Wild shot in the dark. Its the street all the drunks pile into the chippys.

Not being horrible but bugger your research. I’ve knocked about town since the late 60s, I’ve been there, lived it, drank in the pubs and clubs. This ‘Lane’ and ‘Alley’ nonsense has only come about through piss poor journalism trying to create ‘something’. Started around mid 90s perhaps and sneered at by most in my experience. Best to avoid folk who use such phrases.
    It was being used in the 70's as I said.

From your experience not by all and possible not by a lot of people, but both Lane and Alley seem to have been used for years.
    I didn't use it myself and either name was a nickname, the real name is obviously Caroline Street.

That is not to say that it was not the invention of students or journalists.

Tnaks for being so polite as usual.

Anyway there are more important issues.

Such as .......

Where have all the Elephant Legs paving stones gone (where they haven't been tarmac'd over!)

It was being used in the 70's as I said.

From your experience not by all and possible not by a lot of people, but both Lane and Alley seem to have been used for years.
    I didn't use it myself and either name was a nickname, the real name is obviously Caroline Street.

That is not to say that it was not the invention of students or journalists.

Tnaks for being so polite as usual.
    Always polite Elwood

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Wild shot in the dark. Its the street all the drunks pile into the chippys.
    Serious question for you or anyone else: so the slang for a chip shop is chippy and the slang for a carpenter is chippy. Is the plural the same for both i.e. chippies or chippys e.g. the chippies were restless on site or all the chippys are in Caroline Street (or the other way around?). I know, I know I'm an anorak and weird but I'm interested in this sh*t!

Anyone saying that wants shagging with a ragman’s trumpet!!!!!!
    surely they should be shagged with a RT

at last

Why did you say that??????

I've lived here all my life.

As did my parents
    Your parents should have given you a good talking to then, it's Caroline Street!

Charlotte Church is a Cardiffian and I've heard her say it.

Always Caroline Street to me and mine but it's a generational thing.

There are some right miserable old bastards on here which every now and then come to the fore.

Best thing is, the kids will bring subjects like this up time and again and us old feckers will always fall for it, turning into a cross between Uncle Albert and Alfred Garnett