+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Portraits of the Holocaust

Portraits of the Holocaust

Did anyone watch this documentary earlier tonight (BBC 2 9.00pm)? Definitely worth a watch on iPlayer if you missed it.

A very moving set of stories from Holocaust survivors, all now in their 90's, recalling how they survived. I know I would not have done.

They have had their portraits painted for posterity, courtesy of Prince Charles. The one of the old chap Arek Hersh painted by the Italian artist was amazing - the colours and the portrait itself were so lifelike you would swear it was a photograph!

Re: Portraits of the Holocaust

Life on Mars posted a link on the other thread.

StT.
    <><

Not an easy watch jews are one of the most persecuted races in the history of mankind

Lots of Jews stay silent amongst us , the horrors of this centuries Jews is culmination of centuries of Judenhass ("Jew Hate").

And good old Europe was a great setting for neo socalist/ nationalism of Hitler, Rosenberg, Göring, Himmler, and the rest??

A great read for 2.99 on Amazon is Jews Don’t Count: by David Baddiel

( Teshuva )

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Not an easy watch jews are one of the most persecuted races in the history of mankind

Lots of Jews stay silent amongst us , the horrors of this centuries Jews is culmination of centuries of Judenhass ("Jew Hate").

And good old Europe was a great setting for neo socalist/ nationalism of Hitler, Rosenberg, Göring, Himmler, and the rest??

A great read for 2.99 on Amazon is Jews Don’t Count: by David Baddi
    ( Teshuva )

I was a bit confused reading the inclusion of a Rosenburg amongst the others.
    Just read a little bit about him.
    I'm shocked that he could not be a Nazi with a name like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Did anyone watch this documentary earlier tonight (BBC 2 9.00pm)? Definitely worth a watch on iPlayer if you missed it.

A very moving set of stories from Holocaust survivors, all now in their 90's, recalling how they survived. I know I would not have done.

They have had their portraits painted for posterity, courtesy of Prince Charles. The one of the old chap Arek Hersh painted by the Italian artist was amazing - the colours and the portrait itself were so lifelike you would swear it was a photograph!
    A great recommendation, and an extraordinary and remarkable people.

If you are visiting Poland and havent already visited AUSCHWITZ, then I would strongly suggest you go there. It's so professionally done and it's really one of those life experiences that somehow changes you and makes you feel that if you could somehow pay for everyone to go there once in their lifetime, then you would do it.

“Now I will make you small among the nations, despised by mankind" - Jermiah 49:15 (600BC)

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

A great read for 2.99 on Amazon is Jews Don’t Count: by David Baddiel

( Teshuva )
    Read this one recently, tries to readdress the balance that Jew were cowedly and submissive but in fact were at the forefront of the fight against Stalin/Franco/Hitler and then later after the WWII.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolutionary_Yiddishland

Quote Originally Posted by truthpaste View Post
    If you are visiting Poland and havent already visited AUSCHWITZ, then I would strongly suggest you go there. It's so professionally done and it's really one of those life experiences that somehow changes you and makes you feel that if you could somehow pay for everyone to go there once in their lifetime, then you would do it.
    Agree completely.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Read this one recently, tries to readdress the balance that Jew were cowedly and submissive but in fact were at the forefront of the fight against Stalin/Franco/Hitler and then later after the WWII.

Will do , I am aware of their bravery it still exists to this day in relatives memories 👍

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post

100,000 of them fought for the Kaiser against us, then lots of them fought against the British mandate in Palestine.

Quote Originally Posted by trampie09 View Post
    100,000 of them fought for the Kaiser against us, then lots of them fought against the British mandate in Palestine.
    And many more Germans voted Hitler in, there are those who make poor decisions in every race.

And many more Germans voted Hitler in, there are those who make poor decisions in every race.
    I never mentioned Hitler, I was responding to a post that Jewish people are prepared to fight and I agreed they are prepared to fight as they have fought British people.

I never mentioned Hitler, I was responding to a post that Jewish people are prepared to fight and I agreed they are prepared to fight as they have fought British people.
    OurManFlint II had already made that point. Your point was something rather different.

OurManFlint II had already made that point. Your point was something rather different.
    My point was not different but the same but with examples, they joined in their droves to fight us in the Great war and it has to be said after our great sacrifice in the second world war they fought our rule in Palestine.

My point was not different but the same but with examples, they joined in their droves to fight us in the Great war and it has to be said after our great sacrifice in the second world war they fought our rule in Palestine.
    We don't come out that well when ALL the facts are placed on the table:-

This ARTICLE includes the following comment* and includes some uncomfortable facts that fly in the face of the commendable 1917 Balfour Declaration which WAS something we can be proud of. It's a shame we didn't see it through to the final chapter.

*There is a moving statue of Jewish refugee children in London’s Liverpool Street Station that commemorates the Kindertransport, which brought 10,000 predominantly Jewish children to safety in the U.K. as WWII was brewing.

Maybe it is time to erect an empty plinth alongside it and encourage our schoolchildren to ask their teachers, "Why did their parents not come with them?"

Despite its pride in rescuing several thousand Jewish children before WWII, the truth is that successive British governments failed Europe’s Jews before the Holocaust – and afterwards.

How ungrateful that sounds, all the British done for them and you think the Brits didn't do enough ?
    'Britain Has Been All She Could Be To Jews' was one of the common advertising posters targeting the Jewish community during the Great war.
    Look at the World today look at the unrest Britain and America has helped caused in Muslim lands and the resulting refugees, we can't take them all in and likewise Blighty would not have been able to take in millions of Jews from Eastern European countries and Germany just before the world wars.
    I'm a critic of England and her policies where appropriate but I will admit that Englands conduct leading up to the World wars, during (with the odd exception of Oran and Dresden) and after was England's finest moment, I think it's disrespectful to think otherwise and I hope the Jewish community in Britain are thankful to the British.

What were we doing in Palestine? Just another occupier.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    What were we doing in Palestine? Just another occupier.
    Trying to bring law and order to the place.

Trying to bring law and order to the place.
    Palestine is nowhere near GB. Neither is India, Falklands, well I could go on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Palestine is nowhere near GB. Neither is India, Falklands, well I could go on.
    Exactly, it was not our place to help create Israel and effectively give it to Jewish people at the expense of the Arabs, but judging by some responses of those that align themselves to Israel they are still not happy with the British you could not make it up, this country rightly or wrongly has done a lot for them (some would say at the expense of others) but unfortunately judging by some social media posts some of them are still not happy with Britain and West, crikey how much money does the state of Israel get off the USA.
    There again some people are never happy.

Exactly, it was not our place to help create Israel and effectively give it to Jewish people at the expense of the Arabs, but judging by some responses of those that align themselves to Israel they are still not happy with the British you could not make it up, this country rightly or wrongly has done a lot for them (some would say at the expense of others) but unfortunately judging by some social media posts some of them are still not happy with Britain and West, crikey how much money does the state of Israel get off the USA.
    There again some people are never happy.
    It has nothing to do with being happy, and all to do with understanding history. If history was irrelevant then why in 1982 did we spend £2 Billion on defending the Falklands?
    When people (as Britain did back in 1917) realise that standing with Israel (their people) is the wisest thing any government can do, then the whole equation changes. Yet like marmite, people will hate or love them.

Your stance is evident.

It has nothing to do with being happy, and all to do with understanding history. If history was irrelevant then why in 1982 did we spend £2 Billion on defending the Falklands?
    When people (as Britain did back in 1917) realise that standing with Israel (their people) is the wisest thing any government can do, then the whole equation changes. Yet like marmite, people will hate or love them.

Your stance is evident.
    I don't think that standing with Israel is the wisest thing any government could do ? what a strange thing for someone to say, there are hundreds of countries in the World and the Scandinavian countries, Benelux countries, central European countries, Canada, NZ, Australia etc would be far better fits for the UK to have close ties with, morally, culturally, economically etc

What do you mean my stance is evident ?, I think all people are equal do you think all people are equal ?

I don't think that standing with Israel is the wisest thing any government could do ? what a strange thing for someone to say, there are hundreds of countries in the World and the Scandinavian countries, Benelux countries, central European countries, Canada, NZ, Australia etc would be far better fits for the UK to have close ties with, morally, culturally, economically etc

What do you mean my stance is evident ?, I think all people are equal do you think all people are equal ?
    ARE ALL PEOPLE EQUAL?
    I'm happy to discuss that issue on a fresh thread, probably from Tuesday onwards as I have a lot happening over the next 72 hours - I don't wish to fly off on a tangent; the issue of the Holocaust should be paramount here.

ARE ALL PEOPLE EQUAL?
    I'm happy to discuss that issue on a fresh thread, probably from Tuesday onwards as I have a lot happening over the next 72 hours - I don't wish to fly off on a tangent; the issue of the Holocaust should be paramount here.
    Yeah create a new thread!!!

Holocausts are terrible, as well as the one in the second world war the Armenian one springs to mind and the Irish one is also viewed as an holocaust by many.

Just watched it. I live between Pabianice (Helen) & Lodz (Siggy). This area is steeped in history & stories of which I am learning.

My road is named after this fella Major Henryk Dobrzański. Who fought Hitlers tanks with cavalry. The Germans murdered hundreds of Poles is revenge for his resistance & attacks.