+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Too much reliance on one football agency

Too much reliance on one football agency

Have we , and do we continue to, rely on players whose agent is Unique Sports Management?

Current squad players

Kieffer Moore
    Sean Morrison
    Joe Ralls
    Leandro Bacuna
    Ryan Giles (if he comes back on loan)
    Tommy Doyle
    Mark Harris
    James Collins
    Mark McGuiness

This to me seems a disproportionate percentage of our first team squad , so is it just laziness in scouting getting suggestions from an agent rather than looking across the broader market ourselves or any other reason? USM must be making an absolute fortune from CCFC.

Recent former players also with USM

Rhys Healey
    Jordi Osei-Tutu
    Lee Tomlin
    Lee Peltier
    Anthony Pilkington
    Adedeji Oshilaja
    Cameron Coxe

Re: Too much reliance on one football agency

Maybe we get a discount for block bookings? Or we've got a loyalty card?

not all of those were with that agent when they joined, some have switched

not necessarily anything sinister about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    not all of those were with that agent when they joined, some have switched

I wonder on whose recommendation they switched and how many got a pay rise just after having done so?

It takes nepotism to a whole new level. Throw in betting companies and kick-backs, what could possibly go wrong in football? I've said for ages, follow the money. There isn't a sports journalist with the balls to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    not necessarily anything sinister about it.
    I didn`t say that it was necessarily sinister just that with all the different football agents in the UK it seems that a disproportionately high number of our players are with the same agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninian1962 View Post
    I didn`t say that it was necessarily sinister just that with all the different football agents in the UK it seems that a disproportionately high number of our players are with the same agent.
    I think it's sinister. The Manager, the Manager's son's agency, a shed-load of the club squad under the same management. How is that a healthy set up in any business?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I think it's sinister. The Manager, the Manager's son's agency, a shed-load of the club squad under the same management. How is that a healthy set up in any business?
    you do hear rumours of dodgy kickbacks , and perhaps there is some of that going on here, but it could easily be something else too

I wonder if it’s the case at other clubs and a sharing out the spoils type of thing. Sort of ‘You have Cardiff, we’ll have Blackburn, so & so has got Preston, while whatchamacallit will sew up Millwall’. All a bit, no a lot, shady.

We assume that every player who’ll be performing in the UK tomorrow could become a City player. Of course, there are players who would never dream of coming here because they’re too good for us, but, up to a certain level, we think City could go after anyone, but it would appear that there are many.who we would never go after because of the agency they’re with - I daresay there are plenty of clubs who operate tha same way.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    We assume that every player who’ll be performing in the UK tomorrow could become a City player. Of course, there are players who would never dream of coming here because they’re too good for us, but, up to a certain level, we think City could go after anyone, but it would appear that there are many.who we would never go after because of the agency they’re with - I daresay there are plenty of clubs who operate tha same way.
    I think it's a really interesting topic and as I said earlier, I wish someone would investigate and write about this but I don't think that kind of journalism exists anymore. I don't think there's any chance of this being looked into with any conviction. I think there's a big story regarding agencies and club business though. I'm deeply suspicious about it.

List of the players with USM, you can sort by club

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/uniq...a/berater/4142

I think it's a really interesting topic and as I said earlier, I wish someone would investigate and write about this but I don't think that kind of journalism exists anymore. I don't think there's any chance of this being looked into with any conviction. I think there's a big story regarding agencies and club business though. I'm deeply suspicious about it.
    Investigative Journalism isn't in any of the job descriptions at Wales Online.

It takes nepotism to a whole new level. Throw in betting companies and kick-backs, what could possibly go wrong in football? I've said for ages, follow the money. There isn't a sports journalist with the balls to do it.
    On the money mate!
    Spedger

The FA probed the dealings of the Warnock family with Cardiff City in 2019.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...s-Cardiff.html

Unfortunately VT’s refusal to recruit serious football expertise at board level continues to leave him and the club vulnerable to exploitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninian1962 View Post
    Have we , and do we continue to, rely on players whose agent is Unique Sports Management?

Current squad players

Kieffer Moore
    Sean Morrison
    Joe Ralls
    Leandro Bacuna
    Ryan Giles (if he comes back on loan)
    Tommy Doyle
    Mark Harris
    James Collins
    Mark McGuiness

This to me seems a disproportionate percentage of our first team squad , so is it just laziness in scouting getting suggestions from an agent rather than looking across the broader market ourselves or any other reason? USM must be making an absolute fortune from CCFC.

Recent former players also with USM

Rhys Healey
    Jordi Osei-Tutu
    Lee Tomlin
    Lee Peltier
    Anthony Pilkington
    Adedeji Oshilaja
    Cameron Coxe
    We scout for players?

Mainly US sports https://www.thefixisin.net/ but some interesting books.

How many big agencies are there?

Quote Originally Posted by Delbert View Post
    The FA probed the dealings of the Warnock family with Cardiff City in 2019.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...s-Cardiff.html

Unfortunately VT’s refusal to recruit serious football expertise at board level continues to leave him and the club vulnerable to exploitation.
    I stress I haven't done a lot of digging (well, actually, none) but did this 'investigation' ever see the light of day, or was it a token gesture (as usual) by the FA?

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Mainly US sports https://www.thefixisin.net/ but some interesting books.
    Cheers mate. I'll have a look at these. My own feeling is that yes, the money is so huge it usually follows that there's huge corruption or 'creative accounting' tagging along.

That's just how football works, it isn't just here. It's probably easier to work with agencies you have a working and recent relationship with.

USM are one of the biggest aren't they? As they get bigger they take on more players, soon there is something of a monopoly.

Doyle is under them but recent signing Drameh isn't.

If we are reminding ourselves of transfer dealings that may have caused some disquiet let's not forget the signing of the McKay twins in January 2018 on 2 and a half year contracts. They both left the club half way through their contracts. Given the involvement of the McKay family in the Sala transfer one cannot help but wonder if they were dispensed with because their presence in the club was an embarrassment. Who sanctioned the signing of them ? They had been on trial before being contracted. Do the transfer committee get involved in signings through the youth system ? Anyway, they are now both playing at levels some distance from the Championship. Were they good enough in the first place ?

I stress I haven't done a lot of digging (well, actually, none) but did this 'investigation' ever see the light of day, or was it a token gesture (as usual) by the FA?
    The probe was instigated following concerns raised by other agents who must have thought USM had an unfair advantage for some reason! Regarding the outcome I expect it was all swept under the carpet.