+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Colwill

Re: Colwill

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I have no idea what team you've been watching if you think that the young players would send us down. They've not even played that much, the way some people go on you'd think 6 of our 11 every week are under 21! The only first team regular who's a "kid" is Mark McGuinness, who's performed better than the other senior defenders this season. The other squad regulars are Davies, Colwill (though not anymore by the looks of things) and Bagan, who started the season in the team. Davies and Colwill have both performed well this season and have had a key role in some of our victories. Other than that Bowen's had a couple of games, as has Evans. King got about 10 minutes and Zimba got 45. The reason we're in a mess are the senior players who've been utterly dreadful all season.

I'm not entirely against some of the loan signings, though I think we've gone a little overboard and the approach got very scattergun by the end, but this narrative of young players playing every week and sending us down is completely unfounded

I have no idea what team you've been watching if you think that the young players would send us down. They've not even played that much, the way some people go on you'd think 6 of our 11 every week are under 21! The only first team regular who's a "kid" is Mark McGuinness, who's performed better than the other senior defenders this season. The other squad regulars are Davies, Colwill (though not anymore by the looks of things) and Bagan, who started the season in the team. Davies and Colwill have both performed well this season and have had a key role in some of our victories. Other than that Bowen's had a couple of games, as has Evans. King got about 10 minutes and Zimba got 45. The reason we're in a mess are the senior players who've been utterly dreadful all season.

I'm not entirely against some of the loan signings, though I think we've gone a little overboard and the approach got very scattergun by the end, but this narrative of young players playing every week and sending us down is completely unfounded
    Well said that man. It seems we would rather develop other clubs youngsters for them than our own. So much for the pathway Morison talked about when he got the job.

Completely Agree, although using the comparison between the senior players not performing in order to justify poor performance, decision making from one of the younger players doesn't really address the issue in my opinion. A player can sti make good decisions even if those around him are having a shitter.

We just played our best game of the season. And got a great result against a pretty decent side. It could hardly be expected that Morison would just promote his entire U23 squad and everything would be OK. He obviously knows the players' strengths and weaknesses better than we do. I'm OK with it for now.

Quote Originally Posted by logic View Post
    Logic would indicate the "means to an end" approach is short sighted, in exactly the same way Warnock's signings were.

We've a manager who briefly ran the u23s claiming to provide a pathway to the first team. That pathway has virtually disappeared; Davies will get sub appearances, we've signed Hugill, a lump, recalled Watters, Harris is still around too.

Sang overlooked on the bench for Pack and Vaulks. Bowen is still injured or I'd assume he'd have been loaned out. Bagan has been binned.

The question is if Morison believes the kids aren't good enough or if he's merely being expedient to keep his job. It does appear to me that the usage of the kids reduced after Bellamy gave interviews bigging them up.
    It feels a bit like Morison had to throw in some of the youngsters but that as soon as the transfer window arrived he brought in more reliable/better loan players to get us out of trouble, which might pay off in the long run.

Let's hope that it is a strategy to blood the academy players more gently.

Colwill played much better for the under 23s this week than he did last week and scored with a free kick from twenty yards.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Colwill played much better for the under 23s this week than he did last week and scored with a free kick from twenty yards.
    good to hear that

Great, I imagine/hope he'll start against Liverpool.

Anyone else stand out ?

I was told he hasn't been 100% fit the last few weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    I was told he hasn't been 100% fit the last few weeks?
    Cheers Carl

I'm quite possibly wrong, but didn't someone say, Morison had said something to him during a game, and Colwill had snapped back at him, may have been someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Anyone else stand out ?
    Eli King has become a good player at under 23 level and he was breaking things up and using the ball well in the second half, but the strong wind didn’t really make it a day for getting the ball down and playing.

Hopefully the loan players will help get us safe, then the younger players can be re-introduced with less pressure.
    Just because they are here till the end of the season doesn’t mean they have to play every game.

Honesty again

Steve Morison has told Rubin Colwill exactly what he needs to do to nail down a regular starting spot at Cardiff City.

The 19-year-old is the club's joint-top scorer this season with five goals, the latest of which came off the bench against Liverpool at Anfield in the FA Cup on Sunday.

He is certainly a player who excites and has the ability to get bums off seats, which is why supporters seem to be so desperate to see more of him.

Colwill has been reduced to largely cameo appearances off the bench of late. In fact, the last game he started was the 2-2 draw with Birmingham City on December 11.

He has shown his quality on the ball but has also been inconsistent, too. There is no doubt the Wales international has the potential to be a top player at Championship level or even beyond, but Morison has laid bare the aspects of his game which need to improve if he is to crowbar his way into the side moving forward.

"Rubin Colwill is excellent in that transitional phase when we have the ball," Morison said when asked about the player by WalesOnline.

"For him to be a top, top player, a regular starter in the Championship, he needs to be better without the ball. It's very clear.

"He knows that, we know that. Until he gets better without the ball and understands the work you need to put in to give yourself the most opportunities to be able to do what you do going the other way, then he'll still be an impact [player], like on Sunday.

"He needs to also add to his game assists and key passes.

"He has scored five goals this year, it was a great goal at the weekend, but to be a top, top player, you look at other players in the Championship who play in his type of role, they will be high up in the assist charts, high up in the goal charts and they do the other side of the game really well."

READ MORE: All the latest Cardiff City news, views, features and opinion here

One of the more onerous tasks the management have had to undertake this year is how and when to use the sheer volume of youngsters and academy players in the squad.

There will always be fans who want certain players to play and Colwill seems to be at the forefront for many. However, Morison used an apt comparison to how Pep Guardiola managed Phil Foden when discussing the development of young stars.

"They need to be bled in, dribs and drabs. They need to be taken out and brought back in," Morison added.

"The best at it was Phil Foden under Pep Guardiola. Everyone is calling for them to play every week.

"We know what’s the best for the players . Even they don’t know what’s best for them.

"We will manage them in the best way to make sure that in the longevity of this football club and for the longevity of their careers, they are in a much better place."

In this passing transfer window, Liverpool showed real interest in Fulham attacker Fabio Carvalho.

The young forward is the same age as Colwill, 19, but Morison said there is a reason there are so keen on the Portuguese.

It's that all-round game on which Colwill needs to work and when that all comes together, the manager believes Cardiff will have a real player on their hands.

I don’t fully agree with Morison but can also see what he means about Colwill he does need to influence games more and not just when he has the ball. He can become a bit of a luxury but he’s young and learning, his goal at Liverpool was brilliant, winning the ball using it and finishing it off. For me he should still be making the bench. I think his goal return is decent and I think given the game time his assists will come.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I don’t fully agree with Morison but can also see what he means about Colwill he does need to influence games more and not just when he has the ball. He can become a bit of a luxury but he’s young and learning, his goal at Liverpool was brilliant, winning the ball using it and finishing it off. For me he should still be making the bench. I think his goal return is decent and I think given the game time his assists will come.
    I agree and perhaps being a first team pick will speed that development

Always quick to tell us about the youngsters not so good points. Why not just congratulate the kid on an excellent goal at Anfield I don’t know.

Always quick to tell us about the youngsters not so good points. Why not just congratulate the kid on an excellent goal at Anfield I don’t know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Morison
    it was a great goal at the weekend
    he did

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    he did
    Well just leave it at that. Why does he then have to piss on his parade? Just leave it at great goal on the weekend and not tell everyone what he’s told him behind closed doors and why he isn’t in the team.

“Great goal but you’re not as good as someonelse”. Shit man management.

Well just leave it at that. Why does he then have to piss on his parade? Just leave it at great goal on the weekend and not tell everyone what he’s told him behind closed doors and why he isn’t in the team.

“Great goal but you’re not as good as someonelse”. Shit man management.
    I actually don't think this is that bad. I'm not a fan of Morison like yourself but this is good kick up the arse in the most important years.

It also takes the pressure off him to play him which is probably a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I actually don't think this is that bad. I'm not a fan of Morison like yourself but this is good kick up the arse in the most important years.

It also takes the pressure off him to play him which is probably a good thing.
    He’s literally followed up the words “great goal” with a BUT in the same sentence.

Telling everyone Eli King was “excellent” when he didn’t touch the ball, Colwill comes on and has an impact and scored a fantastic goal and that’s the “praise” he gets from his boss.

He was probably gutted he scored as he knew he’d come under pressure to include him.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    It isn’t that easy to influence the game that much when you don’t have the ball. It’s ok to have a luxury player sometimes like when Tomlin almost single handedly dragged us into the playoffs. Don’t really want to see a team of work horses if it comes at the expense of flair and goals. There has to be a balance.

He’s literally followed up the words “great goal” with a BUT in the same sentence.

Telling everyone Eli King was “excellent” when he didn’t touch the ball, Colwill comes on and has an impact and scored a fantastic goal and that’s the “praise” he gets from his boss.
    who hurt you?

To be fair to Colwill, he had a hopeless midfield behind him and, further back, centrebacks who tended to whack the ball over his head when he was starting games, it would be interesting to see how things might change for him if he started a game with Wintle and Doyle, while having someone like Ng in the back three improves the quality of passing out from the back somewhat.

Think what Steve Morison says about him when not in possession is fair enough though.