+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Barnsley coach has previous ‘form’

Barnsley coach has previous ‘form’

Apparently the Barnsley coach who was involved in the altercation on the pitch and in the tunnel area last night (Laumann) was involved in a very similar incident during the match with Stoke earlier in the season. He was sent off, fined and banned for two games after trying to having a go at Dean Holden, the Stoke assistant manager. Another member of their staff was actually found guilty of slapping and grabbing one of the Stoke players by the throat. Lets hope that the EFL throw the book at them now, although it is possible that Morison and Hudson might get in a bit of trouble as well. Hiding the towels was a bit naughty as well - one of the ball boys had his wrapped around his neck, under his coat. If Vaulks had pulled the end of it, he would have spun the ball boy into the crowd !

Re: Barnsley coach has previous ‘form’

What’s the trouble with grabbing Stoke players around the throat. Very laudable.
    Actually the coach’s ‘push’ on Morison wasn’t particularly vicious was it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    What’s the trouble with grabbing Stoke players around the throat. Very laudable.
    Actually the coach’s ‘push’ on Morison wasn’t particularly vicious was it?
    Not vicious no but he did have to be restrained on the pitch, as he was trying to get at Hudson there and then ran off towards the tunnel to catch up with Morison, so he was obviously looking for an argument.

Yes. He looked a nasty piece of work at the final whistle and he picked on the wrong person in Hudson who didn't back down.

He wouldn't let it lie though and he was seething near the tunnel trying to get at Morison.
    Imagine that was a few years back, the City fans would have kicked right off and it could have got messy.

I thought Barnsley were a dirty team and the referee, although he booked a fair few second half, was very passive.

The flying tackle on Doughty from the centre half, apparently what our coaching team were upset about, was bordering a red.
    All game they were allowed to press and essentially bully us.
    This wasn't picked up on the commentary and I thought the commentators (Barnsley locals) were very blinkered, taking bias to another level.

There was quite a bit of footage and Laumann (was it?) was definitely the aggressor.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Yes. He looked a nasty piece of work at the final whistle and he picked on the wrong person in Hudson who didn't back down.

He wouldn't let it lie though and he was seething near the tunnel trying to get at Morison.
    Imagine that was a few years back, the City fans would have kicked right off and it could have got messy.

I thought Barnsley were a dirty team and the referee, although he booked a fair few second half, was very passive.

The flying tackle on Doughty from the centre half, apparently what our coaching team were upset about, was bordering a red.
    This wasn't picked up on the commentary and I thought the commentators (Barnsley locals) were very blinkered, taking bias to another level.

There was quite a bit of footage and Laumann (was it?) was definitely the aggressor.
    Those commentators.. sweet ****ing Jesus they were bad.

The intense look in Hudsons eyes as well coach thought twice didn't he

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Those commentators.. sweet ****ing Jesus they were bad.

The intense look in Hudsons eyes as well coach thought twice didn't he
    Whose the little short arse following Laumann onto the pitch and then he can be seen behind him getting shoved about by the tunnel
    If i was Laumann i'd be gutted having that little squirt has back up

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post

nothing boarding about it, red all day long. Off the ground, studs up.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    nothing boarding about it, red all day long. Off the ground, studs up.
    Agreed. Straight red. Ref bottled it and gave a yellow. Also, Barnsley handball in the box when Flint became the jam in the Barnsley sandwich. It was my first visit to Oakwell and was well impressed by the view.....especially our goal.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Agreed. Straight red. Ref bottled it and gave a yellow. Also, Barnsley handball in the box when Flint became the jam in the Barnsley sandwich. It was my first visit to Oakwell and was well impressed by the view.....especially our goal.
    Ironically if it weren't for that tackle we might not have scored 😉

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Hiding the towels was a bit naughty as well - one of the ball boys had his wrapped around his neck, under his coat.
    When did this drying the ball with a towel nonsense become a thing? Genuine question (not just for you, for anyone).

I'm pretty sure Rory Delap used to dry the ball with a towel before his long throws, but did it ever happen before him? I honestly can't remember Andy Legg ever using a towel, but I suppose he might have done.

I very much doubt there is anything in the laws of the game regarding the use of a towel to dry the ball in order to gain an advantage from a throw-in. Therefore, I guess the opposing side could rip it to shreds if they so desired.

I remember the City playing at Barnsley in the 1980's and getting roughed up/clogged and taking a lot of verbal from the home crowd, particularly Dave Bennett.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    When did this drying the ball with a towel nonsense become a thing? Genuine question (not just for you, for anyone).

I'm pretty sure Rory Delap used to dry the ball with a towel before his long throws, but did it ever happen before him? I honestly can't remember Andy Legg ever using a towel, but I suppose he might have done.

I very much doubt there is anything in the laws of the game regarding the use of a towel to dry the ball in order to gain an advantage from a throw-in. Therefore, I guess the opposing side could rip it to shreds if they so desired.
    I've been thinking the same thing. You've just started me off again p*ssing myself over the towel comments last night. There's mileage in it for me. But the picture of an opposing staff member ripping a towel to shreds in some John Cleese-like way - now that, I would love to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    But the picture of an opposing staff member ripping a towel to shreds in some John Cleese-like way - now that, I would love to see.
    I would genuinely like to know what the rules are, as I'd be amazed if there are any.

If it's the case that, as I suspect, there are no rules, I'd love to see opposition teams engage in their own gamesmanship. For instance, if I was running a club that was faced with an opponent who was drying the ball with a towel before long throws, I'd instruct my ball boys to soak each of the towels in a bucket of water once the game had begun.

No rule against it.....

I would genuinely like to know what the rules are, as I'd be amazed if there are any.

If it's the case that, as I suspect, there are no rules, I'd love to see opposition teams engage in their own gamesmanship. For instance, if I was running a club that was faced with an opponent who was drying the ball with a towel before long throws, I'd instruct my ball boys to soak each of the towels in a bucket of water once the game had begun.

No rule against it.....

We're going to have to do a bit of digging on this one TLG.

Imagine in years to come: "Loved playing at Craven Cottage, towels were right quality and they used proper Comfort, not the own-brand bollox, but those Accrington lads, you knew you were in a game up there, no conditioner, towels were like f*cking Brillos".

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    We're going to have to do a bit of digging on this one TLG.

Imagine in years to come: "Loved playing at Craven Cottage, towels were right quality and they used proper Comfort, not the own-brand bollox, but those Accrington lads, you knew you were in a game up there, no conditioner, towels were like f*cking Brillos".

Great stuff.

Could you imagine opponents trying the towel trick at Ninian Park during the early years of the Hammam era? That loony would have had his henchmen patrolling the touchline and setting fire to any bathroom accessories they happened upon.

If they banned the towel, Vaulks would have nothing to do, that's the best part of his game.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I remember the City playing at Barnsley in the 1980's and getting roughed up/clogged and taking a lot of verbal from the home crowd, particularly Dave Bennett.
    What was Dave doing in the crowd?

Maybe i'm wrong but i'm sure Andy Legg and most others put the ball up their shirts to dry it off?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    What was Dave doing in the crowd?

There apparently is no specific EFL regulation saying towels are or are not able to be used pitch-side. It us up to each individual club. However, if they are in use then they ‘must be made freely available to both teams’ and if they are not then the referee has the power to have them removed from use. Barnsley clearly didn't comply with this - they obviously wanted them for their own players but weren't too happy to share, thereby trying to gain an unfair advantage. The ref could have intervened, although one of his assistants did have a word with the ball boy, who was wearing his.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Ironically if it weren't for that tackle we might not have scored 😉
    Having seen the pic of the tackle, it could easily have ended with a broken ankle or leg. A close call between a goal/3 points and a possible career-ending tackle. Straight red.

Bath robes alongside the towels would suit Vaulks, ball goes out of play, Vaulks disrobes, gets up off the advertising hoarding, dries the ball and throws it in. Bath robe back on, reclines on the hoarding, Noel Coward like, awaiting the next throw in.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Bath robes alongside the towels would suit Vaulks, ball goes out of play, Vaulks disrobes, gets up off the advertising hoarding, dries the ball and throws it in. Bath robe back on, reclines on the hoarding, Noel Coward like, awaiting the next throw in.
    He might as well be sat on a ****ing sunlounger the amount of time it takes him.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    a few years ago when they banned towels on the sidelines, a few stoke players wore a base layer made out of towel material so they could dry the ball under their shirt