+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: careful who you cross

careful who you cross

Re: careful who you cross

What does someone like Dacre do for this country? It's all about themselves with people like him.

Also, why does the right seem to be so hostile to the notion of home working?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    What does someone like Dacre do for this country? It's all about themselves with people like him.

It does seem weird because it's an efficiency saving from all angles. On a personal level, I get more done, have more time in the evenings, can work flexibly, exercise more, have less of an environmental impact and eat better. Some people miss the social aspect of work, I feel for them and I miss it sometimes but it is actually more of a red flag that you aren't happy with your actual social life and perhaps your life in general rather than a sign that there is something inherently bad or wrong with working from home.

Why might right-wing bosses hate working from home? Same as any left wing bosses who don't like it. They are insecure, have trust issues and aren't as good at running a business/managing an organisation as they thought they were.

In terms of Dacre, he's a narcissistic bully. Perfect for working in the media.

On the wider point of WFH, I don't think support or opposition to that fits on the political spectrum tbh. Certainly not in my experience of those who hate it or are okay with it. (I'm not sure i know anyone who 'loves' it full time)

Personally I hate it with a passion. I am comfortable enough to say it had a devastating impact on my mental health - absolutely ruined it, and I think people have to be extremely wary of that because when you expect people to sit on their own, or sit in an unhappy home for 40 hours a week then some very bad things can happen.

For that reason, I am pro-office, whilst also being pro-flexibility. It's not for me to argue against people working several days a week at home, but I would have serious reservations about someone working from home permanently. I think there are wellbeing responsibilities there.

I'm also wary of what is lost if you do this long term, or for an entire career - ie, if the option of office work is removed. I believe we would all have far less knowledge, far less undersanding of different departments work, far less empathy for their issues, less innovative, far less friends from work! The list goes on.

We also do this whilst severely impacting upon public transport, our city centres and on the small amounts of exercise that come with leaving the home, whilst massively increasing inequality as the impacts are certainly felt on the poorer people and those with less salubrious or content homelives.

So yeah, 5, 4, 3, 2, even 1 day a week in the office is one thing, but permanent home working like the last two years is, IMO, very bad for society, very bad for younger and poorer workers and speaking for myself personally, very bad for mental health.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    It does seem weird because it's an efficiency saving from all angles. On a personal level, I get more done, have more time in the evenings, can work flexibly, exercise more, have less of an environmental impact and eat better. Some people miss the social aspect of work, I feel for them and I miss it sometimes but it is actually more of a red flag that you aren't happy with your actual social life and perhaps your life in general rather than a sign that there is something inherently bad or wrong with working from home.

Why might right-wing bosses hate working from home? Same as any left wing bosses who don't like it. They are insecure, have trust issues and aren't as good at running a business/managing an organisation as they thought they were.
    I've been doing it for years and I've never.looked back. It's fantastic! I can't think of anything I can't do WFH which I could do working in the office except waste a lot of time and emotional and intellectual energy mixing with negative people. I actually think it should be a right of employment for people to WFH if they so wish, provided it's feasible. It's improved my mental health and productivity significantly.

As for why right wing bosses (is left wing bosses not an oxymoron) dislike WFH it's all about control and status. Many still harbour Victorian notions of workers being mistrustful, lazy and above their station. It grates on them to think they are spending time at work while the "lazy f**king workers" are taking the piss lounging in the house. And, by the way, that's even with all the intrusive productivity bots and trackers they make sure are ubiquitously deployed.

There are so many benefits for me in working from home, picking the kids up from school takes me away from my desk for 15 minutes, instead of more than an hour
    I get to see the kids for longer, work longer hours, use less paid childcare and use less fuel in my car.

For me the ideal wfh is 2 days in the office and 3 days at home

2nd best would be 4 home 1 office
    3rd 2 home and 3 office
    4th 5 home 0 office
    5th 1 home 4 office
    6th 0 home 5 office

the cat has been let out of the bag now, most companies have shown they can function just fine whilst giving their workforce a better balance. If my bosses suddenly announced that it's back to 5 days a week in the office there would be a lot of unhappy people.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

(right seem to be so hostile*) Think they see an impact on jobs and the economy, take Cardiff for example it has a lot of financial service government office jobs , which creates hospitality jobs ,small business opportunities,
    and other support mechanisms and public transport jobs

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    (right seem to be so hostile*) Think they see an impact on jobs and the economy, take Cardiff for example it has a lot of financial service government office jobs , which creates hospitality jobs ,small business opportunities,
    and other support mechanisms and public transport jobs
    Yes, and.............go on.