+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Them Crazy Scots

Them Crazy Scots

Nicola Sturgeon has defended plans to cut the bottom off some school classroom doors to improve ventilation as "basic common sense".
    Councils have been given £5m of funding to improve air flow in around 2,000 classrooms to slow the spread of Covid.
    As well as installing filters and fans, £300,000 was earmarked to "undercut" doors to improve airflow.
    Opposition parties said it was a "lazy solution" which could raise safety concerns, including from risk of fire.
    The first minister said councils would have the option to act if doors were "inhibiting the natural flow of air", and said health and safety would be considered in all decisions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-60246163

So the idea is to cut the bottom off doors to create airflow to stop Covid

I guess it wouldn't work to open the door a little as that might be a issue with firedoors and them stopping any spread of fire

I wonder what drakeford will do to match this ? ??

Re: Them Crazy Scots

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Nicola Sturgeon has defended plans to cut the bottom off some school classroom doors to improve ventilation as "basic common sense".
    Councils have been given £5m of funding to improve air flow in around 2,000 classrooms to slow the spread of Covid.
    As well as installing filters and fans, £300,000 was earmarked to "undercut" doors to improve airflow.
    Opposition parties said it was a "lazy solution" which could raise safety concerns, including from risk of fire.
    The first minister said councils would have the option to act if doors were "inhibiting the natural flow of air", and said health and safety would be considered in all decisions.

I guess it wouldn't work to open the door a little as that might be a issue with firedoors and them stopping any spread of fire

How about spending £250,000 of taxpayers money on TikTok 'advertising'

He's already sawn the legs of our economy.

Waiting for the unemployment backlash and his blaming of Westminster, wow what a great gig the First Minister is , not me folks ??

Presumably cutting a hole in the door and fitting a vent (obviating the need to remove the door) is not an option?

Without knowing (like everyone else) It may be more beneficial to remove 20mm from the bottom of a door as opposed to fitting a vent. Not that i give a shit, it just may or may not be the case.

WAG likely response - Cut the top off the doors and claim they are following the data and science which shows that cutting the bottom off doesn't work ? Ban all pupils from watching or standing close to the doors ? The skies the limit really.

Next winter we will be reading of scotish schools having increased heating bills due to drafts

International

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Without knowing (like everyone else) It may be more beneficial to remove 20mm from the bottom of a door as opposed to fitting a vent. Not that i give a shit, it just may or may not be the case.
    But for it to have any affect the place must be draughty, otherwise it would make no difference. so if the place is draughty they must be wasting a fortune on their heating.
    Next it will be compulsory to wear overcoats in school, even if you don't outside because the classrooms will be so cold!

International

He will probably point out that the Scottish solution is dangerous because they are fire retarding doors, but that heur in Wales we are following the science and taking the windows out instead.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...dmits-sturgeon

The Fire Service could revoke the fire certificate for every building that does this. Fire door regulations are a legal requirement.
    Making changes endangers life and would mean the person responsible would face manslaughter or even murder charges in the event of a death attributed to their action.
    No risk assessment would ever allow interference.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    But for it to have any affect the place must be draughty, otherwise it would make no difference. so if the place is draughty they must be wasting a fortune on their heating.
    Next it will be compulsory to wear overcoats in school, even if you don't outside because the classrooms will be so cold!
    That's why they're talking about fitting ventilation systems, Snaggs. Even without that, air travels freely.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...dmits-sturgeon

The Fire Service could revoke the fire certificate for every building that does this. Fire door regulations are a legal requirement.
    Making changes endangers life and would mean the person responsible would face manslaughter or even murder charges in the event of a death attributed to their action.
    No risk assessment would ever allow interference.
    Who knows. If you do a loft conversion on your home then the regulations state that you have to have fire doors in every room in the house.The legal way around this is to have smoke detectors in every room and stairwell, that way you only have to put a fire door on the loft. The point I suppose I'm making I'd that there are ways around lots of things.

Who knows. If you do a loft conversion on your home then the regulations state that you have to have fire doors in every room in the house.The legal way around this is to have smoke detectors in every room and stairwell, that way you only have to put a fire door on the loft. The point I suppose I'm making I'd that there are ways around lots of things.

Hmmm not sure that would work with schools … some school buildings are up to 5 floors ( mine was). Part of the problem at Grenfell was lack of fire doors

https://www.mylondon.news/news/west-...lling-21977429

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Hmmm not sure that would work with schools … some school buildings are up to 5 floors ( mine was). Part of the problem at Grenfell was lack of fire doors

https://www.mylondon.news/news/west-...lling-21977429
    You could well be right. Problem at Grenfell was people jamming firedoors open as well.

You could well be right. Problem at Grenfell was people jamming firedoors open as well.
    Why is she so concerned…. The PM and his entourage clearly were not worried whilst making the public terrified …..

International

That's why they're talking about fitting ventilation systems, Snaggs. Even without that, air travels freely.
    I know the whole idea is so stupid that it doesn't bear being serious about.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

He's already sawn the legs of our economy.

Waiting for the unemployment backlash and his blaming of Westminster, wow what a great gig the First Minister is , not me folks ??
    The Welsh economy is stable under Mark Drakeford. You're posting too many unfounded comments about the state of the economy and politics in general.

leave the doors the same size and build slightly bigger schools around them

Good to see the FBU pushing back on this -

BBC News - Call for fire safety talks over classroom door plans
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-60261400

The SNP cult like devotion means Sturgeon will get another free pass. I saw someone write that "any rules passed down from the leader are assumed to be akin to god speaking to Moses". Independence at all costs, even us paying their pensions apparently.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politi...otland-3553834

i fitted lots of vents to fire doors
    the door has an intumescant block in between both door transfer grilles its a common practice