+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jimmy Carr.

Re: Jimmy Carr.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Do you think the Carr is actually shining a light on centuries of persecution and Racism towards Gypsy Communities across Europe? I find that difficult to believe, but i'd be interested to hear your take on it
    Like both Ricky Gervais and Rowan Atkinson have both said recently (as does Carr if your actually watch) they are jokes and that is absolutely allowed.

People should either go and watch real live stand up for a bit more added context and/or just not watch.

I’m not one to advise people who find this offensive as they can well think for themselves. I never read football posts on here by people whose opinions I have no time for (and you are NOT one of them by the way Dennis, as you know 👍)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Do you think the Carr is actually shining a light on centuries of persecution and Racism towards Gypsy Communities across Europe? I find that difficult to believe, but i'd be interested to hear your take on it
    No, he obviously really meant that the nazis killing 500,000 gypsies should be celebrated as a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hungry Blue View Post
    No, he obviously really meant that the nazis killing 500,000 gypsies should be celebrated as a good thing.
    It was either a disgusting attempt at Humour, or a Mirror towards some peoples attitudes towards Gypsies. I don't watch Jimmy Carr, so i don't have any idea where his comedy comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Like both Ricky Gervais and Rowan Atkinson have both said recently (as does Carr if your actually watch) they are jokes and that is absolutely allowed.

People should either go and watch real live stand up for a bit more added context and/or just not watch.

I’m not one to advise people who find this offensive as they can well think for themselves. I never read football posts on here by people whose opinions I have no time for (and you are NOT one of them by the way Dennis, as you know ��)

Jimmy Carr: very oleaginous in more ways than one.....

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    People like different comedians for different reasons. There are plenty that I don’t like so don’t watch them.
    Have to agree with this comment .

Faux outrage on this board knows no boundaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Have to agree with this comment .

Faux outrage on this board knows no boundaries.
    Is there any faux outrage in this thread? If it's faux it's not doing a great imitation. Maybe it's fake faux?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Is there any faux outrage in this thread? If it's faux it's not doing a great imitation. Maybe it's fake faux?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post

I’m not one to advise people who find this offensive as they can well think for themselves. I never read football posts on here by people whose opinions I have no time for (and you are NOT one of them by the way Dennis, as you know ��)
    So the context is... it's a joke? And there are other jokes part of a bigger collection of jokes? There's an argument for that, and another for the right to offend, and conversely a point about context being irrelevant and perpetuating the stereotypes the comedian is trying to crush, and the importance of picking your targets. There's a case for saying if you are going to be an "offensive" comedian, one must expect people to be offended, because how would you know it's offensive?

In fact, discussions about offensive jokes are - ironically - often more nuanced than anything Jimmy Carr could create.

FWIW I once saw a Carr live set and he was talking to a couple in the audience who were "friends with benefits". He made some joke about the woman being a slag but said nothing to the man, because that's who he is: an establishment coward who prefers the easy target, leaving everything unchallenged. I suppose you could say he's inoffensive, in a way.

My thought was that it was a shame Carr couldn't make it funny.

He can say what he wants.
    If you don't like it, don't watch it.

lets get a petition going to stop our ''fans'' calling swansea fans gypos

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Jimmy Carr: very oleaginous in more ways than one.....
    Looked up oleaginous and it turned out to mean what I guessed it might - agree with you completely.