+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rugger

Rugger

How boring has it become 😴
    The majority of the time the balls out of play, and when it's in play there's 20 meat heads on top of it

Re: Rugger

Stopped watching long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Its been emotional View Post
    How boring has it become 😴
    The majority of the time the balls out of play, and when it's in play there's 20 meat heads on top of it
    ‘Become’??! 🤷*♂️

Scotland win Calcutta Cup
    Woohoo!!

I took the opportunity to go up Aldis to do my weekly shop when it was on.
    Nice and quiet up there.

I only watch Wales's games out of sense of loyalty rather than anything else. (How embarrassing was that defeat today!). There are so many petty rules, lots of which if scrapped would turn the game into a faster, free-flowing spectacle rather than the boring stop/start debacle that it has become. Unfortunately, as fit as the modern players are today when compared to early times, I doubt if they could play the full 80 minutes without the benefit of the many, many breaks in play that they currently enjoy!

I think a lot of you have a highly romanticised boyhood memory from the 70's. There were plenty of shite games back then too

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Scotland win Calcutta Cup
    Woohoo!!
    It was brilliant .I am not a rugby fan but love to see Scotland doing well at anything.

If you ever doubt that there is a small minded community in some parts of Wales , the rugby subject is always confirmation it is alive and well for me.......
    the vast majority of Welsh people love their international rugby ... not today though..

Unfortunately, as fit as the modern players are today when compared to early times, I doubt if they could play the full 80 minutes without the benefit of the many, many breaks in play that they currently enjoy![/QUOTE][/COLOR][/COLOR]

think your living in cloud cuckoo land if you really believe that !

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    It was brilliant .I am not a rugby fan but love to see Scotland doing well at anything.

If you ever doubt that there is a small minded community in some parts of Wales , the rugby subject is always confirmation it is alive and well for me.......
    the vast majority of Welsh people love their international rugby ... not today though..
    I've no problem at all with Scotland beating England.
    In fact I am pleased for the Scottish people who are into their rugby after beating "the old enemy" just as I would be for Welsh rugby loving people had Wales beaten England.

The grand slam is the big one, winning the 6 nations championship you'd be happy with but it's these additional trophies within the tournament that I find quite cringeworthy.

The Calcutta Cup for winning one game, the triple crown only available to four out of six nations for beating all of the home nations.

England or Scotland could finish bottom of the league but go home with a winners trophy!

Incidents of domestic violence rocket throughout South Wales in the hours proceeding a Wales egg defeat. They are particularly acute in deprived communities. Terrible violence occurred behind front doors today when innocent partners of shell-shocked eggers bore the brunt of their disappointment and ire.

The battered and bruised were transported by a fleet of ambulances to already overstretched Accident and Emergency departments which resembled wartime field hospitals by 9pm as bloodied victims were stretchered into and filled corridors awaiting treatment.

Yet earlier in the day their assailants were happy and full of hope and expectation as they knocked back copious amounts of pink gin before heading for their favourite pubs. "Come on, Shane!" they cried.

But a few short hours and three pints of Allbright Bitter later their mood had changed to a dark and foreboding one. Soon they hurried home while breaking wind aggressively.

Imagine the terror their menfolk felt as they dreaded their return. Being duffed up in usual circumstances must be bad enough, but feeling a stilettoed heel to the ribs delivered by a screaming banshee wearing a daffodil headdress must be abject.

Most of the victims were dragged out of the back door before being unceremoniously drop kicked over the garden fence.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    I took the opportunity to go up Aldis to do my weekly shop when it was on.
    Nice and quiet up there.
    It's a great tip

I actually sat through todays game as my mate is a rugby fan.

Wales are sh!t.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    It's a great tip
    What Aldis or Lsd?

That Lions tour in the summer meant rugby had taken further step in the process of me losing the love I had of the game before it went professional - Wales conceded their third try in the two minutes I watched of their game. However, it was the last few minutes I caught of the Scotland v England game which reminded me why I’m barely interested in the sport any more as all but a few seconds were taken up by a scrum - I watched it because I wanted to see if Scotland could beat them again, but,the World Cup coming up next year really needs more than what the game has become at its top levels if it is to get enough people interested in it for it to truly become a world game.

Genuinely didn’t know Wales were playing.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    I think a lot of you have a highly romanticised boyhood memory from the 70's. There were plenty of shite games back then too
    Spot on and often the great expansive rugby the Welsh teams played didn’t happen until late on in games when they had worn down the opposition upfront.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Genuinely didn’t know Wales were playing.

Nor did the players

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    Unfortunately, as fit as the modern players are today when compared to early times, I doubt if they could play the full 80 minutes without the benefit of the many, many breaks in play that they currently enjoy!
    [/COLOR][/COLOR]

think your living in cloud cuckoo land if you really believe that ![/QUOTE]

Today's players are far fitter than those of the 60's and 70's thanks to extensive training/coaching, attention to diet etc. We won't really ever know will we, unless they are put to the test.

"Research published in an IRB report in 2011 showed that of the 80 minutes in a rugby game, the ball would, on average, be in play for only 35 minutes. Shockingly, 35 minutes was a huge improvement from the amount of action time that games used to average in 1991, which was a dismal 25 minutes".*

So things have improved apparently which I find difficult to believe, but there it is!!

*Source: https://atroxrugby.com/how-long-is-a-rugby-game/

Pile on loads of muscle and be well above your normal weight is going to effect your cardio.

Most if not all those players wouldn't cope witn 80 mins genuine play. Limit the number of subs make them actually play 80 minutes and then you may see something other than 30 bodybuilders smashing into each other.

I was talking to someone who knows Isaak Davies in the week. Said he played rugby for a while. Apparently as soon as he got the ball that was it Try.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    [/COLOR][/COLOR]

think your living in cloud cuckoo land if you really believe that !
    Today's players are far fitter than those of the 60's and 70's thanks to extensive training/coaching, attention to diet etc. We won't really ever know will we, unless they are put to the test.

"Research published in an IRB report in 2011 showed that of the 80 minutes in a rugby game, the ball would, on average, be in play for only 35 minutes. Shockingly, 35 minutes was a huge improvement from the amount of action time that games used to average in 1991, which was a dismal 25 minutes".*

So things have improved apparently which I find difficult to believe, but there it is!!

*Source: https://atroxrugby.com/how-long-is-a-rugby-game/[/QUOTE]

sorry i don't buy that as the laws of the game has changed from the 70's to counter act that argument . The sheer power and strength of these elite players are for all to see . There are always stoppages in rugby you will never change that so players are not required to be in play for the full 80 minutes and remember you very rarely seen a sub come onto the field of play in the 70's either !

https://blog.betway.com/rugby/the-re...-rugby-player/

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post

*Source: https://atroxrugby.com/how-long-is-a-rugby-game/
    sorry i don't buy that as the laws of the game has changed from the 70's to counter act that argument . The sheer power and strength of these elite players are for all to see . There are always stoppages in rugby you will never change that so players are not required to be in play for the full 80 minutes and remember you very rarely seen a sub come onto the field of play in the 70's either !

https://blog.betway.com/rugby/the-re...-rugby-player/[/QUOTE]

And as the player get fitter, the entertainment levels get lower. Players were bound to get fitter and stronger when the game went full time and, with the human race getting noticeably taller and generally bigger in the last fifty years or so, the rugby pitch has become too small. When you see some of the passes given by front row and second row forwards are of a quality you’d very rarely see in the seventies in Wales “golden era”, so I don’t think the skill levels are inferior by any means, but it all still makes for a dull spectacle in my opinion. From being a real fan of the game, I’ve become more of a casual observer of it now and, while the devotees will say the game is better now, I think others will feel much like I do.

"Rugger"? Are you English?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    "Rugger"? Are you English?
    I was thinking that.