+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A question for players on loan.

A question for players on loan.

Your parent club is in the upper echelons of the Premier League, you are playing at a mediocre Championship side, there is a 50/50 ball with the obvious chance of being hurt, are you fully committed to winning the ball?

This is not referring to any particular player. I have not seen Doyle play but judging by the cards he's received, there's no lack of commitment there.

I think there could be some sympathy if a youngster with a bright future might be hesitant in risking career-threatening injury whilst on loan.

Any thoughts?

Re: A question for players on loan.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
    Your parent club is in the upper echelons of the Premier League, you are playing at a mediocre Championship side, there is a 50/50 ball with the obvious chance of being hurt, are you fully committed to winning the ball?

This is not referring to any particular player. I have not seen Doyle play but judging by the cards he's received, there's no lack of commitment there.

I think there could be some sympathy if a youngster with a bright future might be hesitant in risking career-threatening injury whilst on loan.

Any thoughts?
    Very often there’s more chance of injury if you ‘hang back’. Full throttle is safest I reckon.

Everyone's different, so I'm sure that there would be some who hang back from tackling for the reasons Seabird suggests, but I'd say they'd be a pretty small minority - I think it's almost instinctive with most footballers though that they see a ball to be won and go into a tackle without giving much thought to possible consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Everyone's different, so I'm sure that there would be some who hang back from tackling for the reasons Seabird suggests, but I'd say they'd be a pretty small minority - I think it's almost instinctive with most footballers though that they see a ball to be won and go into a tackle without giving much thought to possible consequences.
    Also not going into a tackle 100% can also get you injured by not having all your natural body weight going thru the challenge. .
    To my eyes ,Doyle and the other loanees appear to be enjoying the chance to play 1st team football and are just doing what comes natural .

I think it depends on players situation, if he's been sent out to get game time and likely to be back in contention or knows could be getting a move then maybe he'd hang back. Or if contract is up.

Otherwise i think once you play any sport it's all instinct anyway

I think instinct does take over during the actual game. I just wonder if it does cross players' minds at all.

I remember a few seasons back we had a youngster from Everton, may be when OGS was here, he was very lightweight and I remember one incident when he clearly shit out of a challenge. Name something like McInearney? don't know if he has made a career from the game.

I think instinct does take over during the actual game. I just wonder if it does cross players' minds at all.

I remember a few seasons back we had a youngster from Everton, may be when OGS was here, he was very lightweight and I remember one incident when he clearly shit out of a challenge. Name something like McInearney? don't know if he has made a career from the game.
    Think you mean Conor McAleny (might have the name wrong!) who Russell Slade signed on loan. Everton had big hopes for him, but he dropped down the divisions and was playing for Oldham last time I heard anything about him.

Just checked, he’s now at Salford;-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conor_McAleny

Conor McAleny, on loan from Everton at the time, but these days playing for Salford.

As a player, if you go to a lower Division side on loan, you're looking for one of two (maybe three) things. Either you play well, and earn a place in the team back at your 'home club', or you're trying to get away from that club, so you play as well as you can, to catch the eye of a potential buyer. Or you're just running down your contract. Either way, anyone who goes on loan and doesn't put in a shift, is an arse, and we've seen a few of those at Cardiff.

If you play football, you usually are committed wherever you play especially if your of a young age, once you've laced up it's all or nothing .

Quote Originally Posted by 61adb View Post
    Conor McAleny, on loan from Everton at the time, but these days playing for Salford.
    joined the same time as Matty Kennedy, I thought at the time that McAleny would go further, but he didnt

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I recall Emlyn Hughes saying the reason he never got seriously injured was because he never committed to a tackle he couldn't win.

mind you at his level he assumed he was going to win any tackle that was 40/60 against him. I dread to think what odds he considered made a tackle unwinnable !

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I recall Emlyn Hughes saying the reason he never got seriously injured was because he never committed to a tackle he couldn't win.

mind you at his level he assumed he was going to win any tackle that was 40/60 against him. I dread to think what odds he considered made a tackle unwinnable !
    I think most players are of that mindset. They won't go into a 20-80% tackle. They'll back off and try and slow the player down.

Conor McAleney.

Yep, that's the one I had in mind, thanks for the updates on his 'career'.