+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That's how it used to be....

That's how it used to be....

Just been watching West Ham v Everton on C4...1977...and now Rotherham v Palace......
    Lovely to see shirts with no names....no sponsors...no fancy embellishments....!

Blimey - the pitches are a long long way behind what they are today - real cabbage patches.

What I do NOT remember are freekicks being awarded just outside the SIX yard box!!!i

All in all a million miles form today's approach....forward....sideways...back...sideways. ....etc etc...far more entertaining.

Re: That's how it used to be....

watched leicester v villa from 1980 a few days ago and forgot you could back pass to a keeper who could then pick up the ball !

was entertaining and nostalgic looking back but todays semi robots are light years ahead in every form

imagine what top flight football will look like in 40 years time !

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    watched leicester v villa from 1980 a few days ago and forgot you could back pass to a keeper who could then pick up the ball !

was entertaining and nostalgic looking back but todays semi robots are light years ahead in every form

imagine what top flight football will look like in 40 years time !
    I think the stopping the back pass law was one of the best of the laws which were introduced to enhance the enjoyment of the game. However, I still prefer the old offside rule whereby anyone could be pulled up offside even if they weren't interfering with play. It just calls for more discipline.

When we used to have colder winters, so many games were called off due to frozen pitches. The answe back then was to install under pitch heating which basically turned the pitches into quagmires.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I think the stopping the back pass law was one of the best of the laws which were introduced to enhance the enjoyment of the game. However, I still prefer the old offside rule whereby anyone could be pulled up offside even if they weren't interfering with play. It just calls for more discipline.

Often watch Big Match Revisted on ITV4. Love Brian Moore commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    One of the very best but I haven't watched him for years. If memory serves it was before the introduction of co-commentators. In my opinion, a blight on the enjoyment of listening to commentary.

Classic theme tune

I love how he would read out the full address of a viewers letter.
    Can't imagine that happening today.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I think it was Brian Clough who said if he isn't interfering with play he shouldn't be on the pitch.

Danny Blanchflower I thought.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Just been watching West Ham v Everton on C4...1977...and now Rotherham v Palace......
    Lovely to see shirts with no names....no sponsors...no fancy embellishments....!

Blimey - the pitches are a long long way behind what they are today - real cabbage patches.

What I do NOT remember are freekicks being awarded just outside the SIX yard box!!!i

All in all a million miles form today's approach....forward....sideways...back...sideways. ....etc etc...far more entertaining.
    Indirect free kicks?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    When we used to have colder winters, so many games were called off due to frozen pitches. The answe back then was to install under pitch heating which basically turned the pitches into quagmires.
    Aaaallllriiigght. Giggity!

Groundsmen, pfft! Money for old rope.

Hard to believe that it is only two or three decades ago that the only grass on a football pitch, even at the top clubs, was a yard wide on the wings!

Barry Davies didnt neeed a co-commentator. Loved the way he sometime let the pictures do the talking, especially after a goal.

Quote Originally Posted by tpcnw View Post
    Danny Blanchflower I thought.

It was ‘Ol Big ‘Ed, Blanchflower’s was ‘Its all about the glory’. On the Blanchflower note I’ve been to see the film ‘Belfast’ this evening and his name is sprayed on a wall in a few scenes.

He was brilliant. I used to love watching 'The Big Match' on a Sunday.
    I'd always watch it at my grandmother's home. The smell of homemade baking, the Big Match coupled with Brian Moore's commentary - it was all reassuringly safe back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    He was brilliant. I used to love watching 'The Big Match' on a Sunday.
    I'd always watch it at my grandmother's home. The smell of homemade baking, the Big Match coupled with Brian Moore's commentary - it was all reassuringly safe back then.
    Yes, but what about Farming Diary and all those weird adverts about weevils and "ordinary twenty ten ten"? (whatever that is) It seemed to go on forever before the Big Match came on. Strange to think how much we looked forward to watching edited versions 23 hours after the event of what always seemed to be London-based games. Is that because it was LWT? Whenever I think of the Big Match I always think of Stamford Bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post

Think that’s the game when Ronnie Goodlass scored a Gabbiadini like goal for Everton from about forty yards.

Doing away with the obstruction law means that there are far less free kicks inside the penalty area these days - time was plonking yourself in front of an attacker to let the ball roll out for a goal kick would have been punished with an indirect free kick.

The Big Match Revisited is on ITV 4 most Saturday mornings at 10:30. They’ve been working their way through the 80/81 season lately when Villa won the title - Gary Shaw looked a great prospect until he got a bad injury, Tony Morley was a really exciting winger, Gordon Cowans a clever and classy midfielder and Peter Withe was a better player than I gave him credit for at the time.

You should search something like football from your favourite decade on You Tube, there’s stacks of games on there - as a confirmed Chelsea hater, I loved finding Rotherham 6 Chelsea 0 (may have been from 80/81 actually) when their eccentric keeper Peta Borota had a bit of a mare.

Someone mentioned that the Big Match always seemed to be from Stamford Bridge, but I always think of Upton Park where, although it didn’t happen really, the games seemed to always end 3-3 - there were some fantastic games with Wolves back then. My first match at Upton Park was in 1979 I think it was in the Second Division against Sunderland, I confidently predicted it would finish 3-3 beforehand and it did!

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Yes, but what about Farming Diary and all those weird adverts about weevils and "ordinary twenty ten ten"? (whatever that is) It seemed to go on forever before the Big Match came on. Strange to think how much we looked forward to watching edited versions 23 hours after the event of what always seemed to be London-based games. Is that because it was LWT? Whenever I think of the Big Match I always think of Stamford Bridge.
    Hahaha... you've brought it all flooding back! Yeah, 'Farming Diary' and those bloody adverts for products to curb weevils, amongst other things.

It was indeed a LWT production, hence why a First Division London side's game would invariably be the featured match.
    Funnily enough, I always associated the programme with West Ham, probably for the same reason you did with Chelsea.
    What followed after, wasn't it programmes such as Catweazle and Follyfoot?

The Big Match theme tune reminds me of Sunday dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Indirect free kicks?

Correct, and they were awarded outside the penalty box as well for certain infringements.

Hahaha... you've brought it all flooding back! Yeah, 'Farming Diary' and those bloody adverts for products to curb weevils, amongst other things.

It was indeed a LWT production, hence why a First Division London side's game would invariably be the featured match.
    Funnily enough, I always associated the programme with West Ham, probably for the same reason you did with Chelsea.
    They did have regional variations but rarely in this area (HTV). City were shown a couple of times a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    They did have regional variations but rarely in this area (HTV). City were shown a couple of times a year.
    Do you mean 'Soccer Sunday'?

Edit: Ah, I know what you mean. Yes, The Big Match would show regional games after the main London game featured.

And wasn't Weekend World always on before the big match? Often interesting current affairs debate at a time when your head was still thumping from a Saturday night out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    I remember those Severnside derby highlights with Bristol City on HTV (or was it TWW) shown on the Sunday with Roger Malone as commentator.