+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Subs made a huge difference tonight

Re: Subs made a huge difference tonight

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Years ago? Are you sure? Morison arrived at Cardiff City in February 2020. He had just one full season in charge of the under-23’s.
    Yes, 2 years ago. Doesn't that count as "years ago"? Or maybe the pandemic has just warped my sense of time.

Anyway, this is the interview: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wal...g-19914167.amp

This was published in Feb 2021 but he's talking about the changes he made when he first came in in Feb 2020.

At the end of the day I get that some people don't like his style or his personality, but it staggers me how little credit he gets for the job he's doing. Recent results would suggest the players are buying into it too. It says a lot that someone like Drameh, who's been working under a genius like Bielsa, comes out and says he rates Morison as a coach.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Danny Gabbidon on the Elis James Podcast some time back was very very clear that the rise of the youth to the 1st team was nothing to do with Steve Morrison.
    I think we all knew that he hasn’t been here that long but he still managed to get them working together and on an impressive run. I think he’s allowed a little credit.

I really hope he gets the job, so what If he is arrogant.
    The football is much better (at times) different players are scoring goals and not just one player.

I go to watch the football not group hugs with the players.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Contain the opposition. We were playing Coventry at home not Fulham away ffs
    Very true

I'm not saying I'd have picked this side, nor to play that way, but I do understand why he did, given the amount of games we have in such a short space of time.

Coventry are a decent footballing side and from memory gave us the runaround up there. Perhaps SM thought contain first then bring on the cavalry if things don't work out.

Difficult to argue with him really given the way things panned out.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    It says a lot that someone like Drameh, who's been working under a genius like Bielsa, comes out and says he rates Morison as a coach.
    Did he say that? I was under the impression that Morison doesn't do any of the coaching but maybe I'm wrong

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Very true

I'm not saying I'd have picked this side, nor to play that way, but I do understand why he did, given the amount of games we have in such a short space of time.

Coventry are a decent footballing side and from memory gave us the runaround up there. Perhaps SM thought contain first then bring on the cavalry if things don't work out.

That was more or less my take on the selection, get to 65/70 minutes 0-0, then introduce the fresh, better players. Morison cracked in half the time.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Very true

No issue with rotating, we looked leggy on Saturday. The only thing I would question is starting with Watters and Davies - I defy anyone to tell me they saw that pairing before kick off and thought it could work. Especially when the game started and we proceeded to just smash balls up to them.

Morison said he wasnt expecting Watters to be Jordan Hugill, well maybe his instructions to the rest of the team werent that clear because we were just going direct from back to front until Tommy Doyle come on.

Thats another result weve got but didnt really play well, much like Barnsley. Defended well but lets not kid ourselves the football is that much better than Micks first season when he was grinding out results.

How many games did the Under 23’s win in the seasons before Morison took over ? Some people (including Danny Gabidon) just cant bear to give him any praise whatsoever for what he has done both with the Under 23’s and first team in such a short space of time.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Did he say that? I was under the impression that Morison doesn't do any of the coaching but maybe I'm wrong

https://www.teamtalk.com/leeds-unite...-steve-morison

“Some of the stuff you see on the pitch from me is definitely from Marcelo Bielsa and his coaching staff,” he told the club’s programme, as cited by the Yorkshire Evening Post.

“Their feedback was for me to be more aggressive and play on the front foot and I think the manager here has brought the best out of me since I’ve been here. His desire to get me in was the main reason that I came here.

“As a player, you always want to feel wanted and it seemed like the perfect place for me to come and play. The emphasis has been on being positive and wanting to attack and he’s filled me with a lot of confidence to go and express myself.”

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    No issue with rotating, we looked leggy on Saturday. The only thing I would question is starting with Watters and Davies - I defy anyone to tell me they saw that pairing before kick off and thought it could work. Especially when the game started and we proceeded to just smash balls up to them.

Morison said he wasnt expecting Watters to be Jordan Hugill, well maybe his instructions to the rest of the team werent that clear because we were just going direct from back to front until Tommy Doyle come on.

Thats another result weve got but didnt really play well, much like Barnsley. Defended well but lets not kid ourselves the football is that much better than Micks first season when he was grinding out results.
    Expecting you to say something positive about the team, manager or style of play is basically like trying to polish a turd. If you cant see the difference between Mick McCarthys reign and the current situation then truly there is no hope for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    My other comment is that much as I try I cannot see what Eli King is bringing to the team.
    Maybe it's a case of easy, slowly with him, but I don't see much.
    I thought he played very well last night. Kept it simple. But it was a more than acceptable League debut.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I think it’s staggering so many people are leaping to his defence. He’s done fine. We’re averaging 1.4 points a game. Before this run, he was averaging 1 point a game. He’s made mistakes and yet it’s always someone else’s fault.
    He's getting a lot more right than wrong. But some people can only focus on the negatives. I guess that's social media for you.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Expecting you to say something positive about the team, manager or style of play is basically like trying to polish a turd. If you cant see the difference between Mick McCarthys reign and the current situation then truly there is no hope for you.
    Steve Morison could take a shit in your mouth and youd claim it was delicious and ask for seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Haven't you got anything more useful to do in life other than complain about other people's opinions? If you're not careful the men in white coats will be coming to take you away soon ffs.

Staggering? I think you’re exaggerating again.

It’s been obvious from very early on (or at least it should have been) that Morison is a manager who is going to polarise opinion. The way he conducts himself with the media is unusual to say the least. Some will like his style, others will take exception to it. Surely you can see that?
    Ah the pedant speaks. How about this for a selection of words. You choose the one you like best: disappointing, worrying, sad, depressing, pathetic, frustrating, typical (of this board), ill-informed, bloody well wrong. (No doubt this is where is insert another word you decree is more reasonable.)

He keeps telling us he’s what he describes as a ‘black and white’ sort of a guy. I think that’s how it’ll be with the fan base. Some will love him because they believe he tells it how it is. Others will hate him because they think he’s a prick. Fun times ahead.
    I can't think of many managers that haven't done this to us i.e polarise the fan base but he maybe the quickest??

International

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Completely wrong midfield set up to accommodate a striker like Watters, he was pointing out that he wanted the ball played through on the deck. Ok he should have put that header away but his hooked shot that hit the ‘keeper wasn’t a bad effort. Morison’s initial team selection was decidedly iffy and can anyone, hand on heart, say they thought it was a convincing set up pre match? Not a nice way to substitute a young player, half time was less than ten minutes away. Morison could have bollocked Watters privately if he hadn’t carried out his instructions and diplomatically carried the can publicly for his initial team selection especially as he could bask in the ‘master stroke’ changes resulting in a 2-0 win.

After our recent turnaround, Morison should be receiving 100% glowing reports from us, the fans, unfortunately through his own doing he’s dividing the fan base. Very sad.
    I agree with you mostly and feel he was a bit harsh, but I suppose he could argue we could have conceded in those last nine minutes in the first half and then lost the game, you have to make the change when you see it's wrong not wait until half time so as not to upset the player.

Where I feel he was wrong was public criticism on Sky Sports, he could have said things weren't working as expected and we needed to make the change.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    I agree with you mostly and feel he was a bit harsh, but I suppose he could argue we could have conceded in those last nine minutes in the first half and then lost the game, you have to make the change when you see it's wrong not wait until half time so as not to upset the player.

Where I feel he was wrong was public criticism on Sky Sports, he could have said things weren't working as expected and we needed to make the change.
    I agree what you suggest about the public criticism bit. For me it's as though he actually relishes it and it's done for Morison's benefit rather than anything else. I'm beginning to wonder if he has a psychopathic personality; it wouldn't be entirely surprising, many successful people do.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Blue View Post
    Ah the pedant speaks. How about this for a selection of words. You choose the one you like best: disappointing, worrying, sad, depressing, pathetic, frustrating, typical (of this board), ill-informed, bloody well wrong. (No doubt this is where is insert another word you decree is more reasonable.)
    That’s a remarkable post. Truly staggering.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    I can't think of many managers that haven't done this to us i.e polarise the fan base but he maybe the quickest??
    He might be, but I think the situation’s a bit different with Morison. Generally, the polarisation tends to happen as a result of styles of play, tactics, team selections, results, etc. In Morison’s case it’s much more about his personality and his demeanour.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I think it’s staggering so many people are leaping to his defence. He’s done fine. We’re averaging 1.4 points a game. Before this run, he was averaging 1 point a game. He’s made mistakes and yet it’s always someone else’s fault.
    I think it's staggering that so many are lining up to put the boot into Morison. The team he picked and managed has just won 4 out of 5 league games, including probably the most crucial match we have played in a number of years, which incidentally produced a 4-0 win and the best performance this season.

Why talk about the points his team accrued before the present run and what relevance does it have ? He needed to recruit players because those he inherited weren't up to the job and all the signs are that he got it spot on.

Nobody could defend MM because his tactics were absurd and the results as bad as it could get. But Morison ? Yes I get it that he's not everybody's cup of tea but football is a results-based business and it looks like he has steered the club away from what could have been a potential relegation nightmare.

He might be, but I think the situation’s a bit different with Morison. Generally, the polarisation tends to happen as a result of styles of play, tactics, team selections, results, etc. In Morison’s case it’s much more about his personality and his demeanour.
    Maybe Dave Jones was personality first before results / style of play / transfers. Can't remember which came first for him?

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Danny Gabbidon on the Elis James Podcast some time back was very very clear that the rise of the youth to the 1st team was nothing to do with Steve Morrison.
    Did he?!

I need to find that - are you able to expand on what Gabbs said?

It was glaringly obvious that front pairing wouldn't work. If he wanted to rest Hugill then Uche or Collins should have started with Davies, not Max. He was set up to fail in that system without any creativity in midfield to supplement his game. All Morison had to say after the game was that HE got it wrong, but instead he sold the young lad down the river.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I think it's staggering that so many are lining up to put the boot into Morison. The team he picked and managed has just won 4 out of 5 league games, including probably the most crucial match we have played in a number of years, which incidentally produced a 4-0 win and the best performance this season.

Why talk about the points his team accrued before the present run and what relevance does it have ? He needed to recruit players because those he inherited weren't up to the job and all the signs are that he got it spot on.

Nobody could defend MM because his tactics were absurd and the results as bad as it could get. But Morison ? Yes I get it that he's not everybody's cup of tea but football is a results-based business and it looks like he has steered the club away from what could have been a potential relegation nightmare.
    Spot on

Pep Guardi-feckin-ola couldn't put a smile on some peoples' faces