+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Subs made a huge difference tonight

Subs made a huge difference tonight

After a poor opening thirty-five minutes, City looked a different team after Hugill, Doyle and Harris came on.

P'raps Morison is still not experienced enough to pick his correct starting eleven.

And I'm not convinced he knows his best two up front.

Re: Subs made a huge difference tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    After a poor opening thirty-five minutes, City looked a different team after Hugill, Doyle and Harris came on.

P'raps Morison is still not experienced enough to pick his correct starting eleven.

Amazing that your best centre forward makes an improvement over two small strikers asked to do Hugill's job. I am stunned he didn't start Hugill or Uche. It was so predictable what would happen and to make matters worse, he's absolutely killed Watters because he isn't good at holding the ball up and bringing others into play, which isn't his fault. I bet Morison blames Watters rather than himself.

I think we all expected changes after the lethargic performance against Millwall. I would say the wrong eleven but I’m glad he didn’t just chuck in Pack and Bacuna as I thought he might. At the end of the day he’s given key players a rest and got all 3 points so a good days work.

Morrison has to get over himself, sticking the boot into watters in the interview. Even if it's not true, the thing to say here is the got the tactics wrong rather than saying he was taken off because he was shit

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Amazing that your best centre forward makes an improvement over two small strikers asked to do Hugill's job. I am stunned he didn't start Hugill or Uche. It was so predictable what would happen and to make matters worse, he's absolutely killed Watters because he isn't good at holding the ball up and bringing others into play, which isn't his fault. I bet Morison blames Watters rather than himself.
    Sure as night follows day, he's said Watters wasn't good enough. It was Morison's fault, not Watters. He's an absolute tosser.

Agreed.

But I like that fact that he is prepared to make plenty of in-game changes and isn’t bothered about upsetting players, whether people agree with the changes or not.

(Starting Watters ahead of Hugill made no sense to me but maybe there is/was something going on that we don’t know about. I’d be surprised though)

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Morrison has to get over himself, sticking the boot into watters in the interview. Even if it's not true, the thing to say here is the got the tactics wrong rather than saying he was taken off because he was shit
    What did he say?

I'm sure he'll get plaudits for being "decisive and honest" but even I could've told you Watters/Davies wouldn't work

Sure as night follows day, he's said Watters wasn't good enough. It was Morison's fault, not Watters. He's an absolute tosser.
    We won a game tonight stop being a negative arse

Morison strikes again. Of course the subs made a difference, the bench was almost the first team. He got it wrong to start with, playing a team to waste the first half in effect. Then humiliated Watters, who had 2 chances to be fair to him. Of course Hugill made a difference, he’s a better player. The manager is a right arse.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    What did he say?

I'm sure he'll get plaudits for being "decisive and honest" but even I could've told you Watters/Davies wouldn't work
    "He wasn't good enough, he wasn't winning enough first contacts, he wasn't being physical enough, and the ball kept coming back when it went forwards". It is Morison's mistake, not Watters.

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    We won a game tonight stop being a negative arse
    Watters was so upset he didn't go in at half time. And what does Morison do? Stick the boot in again.

I've just got back and the general consensus from those I was with, and around at the game was Morison got it absolutely right. On Saturday we were leggy and looked a yard off the pace having had only 2 days between games, so it wasn't a surprise that he rested players with 10 games in 30 days ahead. It made sense to bring on Hugill for 40 minutes rather than have to bring him off after 50, and giving Ralls a rest was a bonus. King didn't do much, but didn't prove a disaster, and gave Doyle a breather too.

I thought Morison played the game very well. God knows why this guy gets so much stick on here..

Strange leaving out some of our best players and the ones he’s just brought in on loan….maybe the win will gloss over it, whatever was going on. A vital win, I’d say we are almost safe.

Re: the Watters substitution, the TV commentators said that it was an "emotional" decision; that Morison 'threw his arms up in the air' when Watters failed to close down the keeper - this despite having a really clever turn and shot on goal shortly before he was hooked.

If Morison subbed players after throwing his hands in the air after watching their incompetence, all eleven players should have been subbed in that first half.

Watters took it extremely well and was most professional about it - and credit to Pack for consoling him.

"He wasn't good enough, he wasn't winning enough first contacts, he wasn't being physical enough, and the ball kept coming back when it went forwards". It is Morison's mistake, not Watters.
    It's shockingly bad man management. I had hoped he'd just swallow a bit of pride and admit that he'd got it wrong and needed to make a change to sure things up and avoid going behind, but no. Watters was not at fault for being sent out to play a role completely ill-suited to him.
    He drafted him back from a successful loan spell where he was scoring goals, to be treated like that, on tv...

The starting 11 was wrong today as neither of the front two are known for their hold up play. Unfortunately Morison used the post match interview to lay the boot into Watters rather than take responsibility for his poor team selection.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    The starting 11 was wrong today as neither of the front two are known for their hold up play. Unfortunately Morison used the post match interview to lay the boot into Watters rather than take responsibility for his poor team selection.
    Amazing how Morrison can take what should be a positive and focus on the negative. His opening remark was to indirectly criticise watters. A shitbag of a human.

Atrocious management from Morison. Just say you got it wrong and that Watters isn't a target man and this game called for one.

Let's not forget Watters is only 22 and still a very young man. With all the players leaving us this season he could be really important next season but if I was him I'd be doing everything possible to leave right now, Morison humiliated him.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I've just got back and the general consensus from those I was with, and around at the game was Morison got it absolutely right. On Saturday we were leggy and looked a yard off the pace having had only 2 days between games, so it wasn't a surprise that he rested players
    I thought Morison played the game very well. God knows why this guy gets so much stick on here..
    Wouldn't disagree with any of that. It's the changes he made that are being queried.

I've just got back and the general consensus from those I was with, and around at the game was Morison got it absolutely right. On Saturday we were leggy and looked a yard off the pace having had only 2 days between games, so it wasn't a surprise that he rested players with 10 games in 30 days ahead. It made sense to bring on Hugill for 40 minutes rather than have to bring him off after 50, and giving Ralls a rest was a bonus. King didn't do much, but didn't prove a disaster, and gave Doyle a breather too.

The subs were good but they were needed to rectify Morison's own mistake. Why didn't Uche start? Surely he can give you 45 now? Collins is in the stand. Our upturn in form has been based around getting it into Hugill's feet and playing from there, or counter attacking with Drameh. He expected Watters, who is a poacher, to do hold the ball up against three centre halves? Morison blaming Watters, a bloke so distraught he didn't go into the dressing room at half time, is a joke. Why does he have to stick the boot in?

A classic 'rope a dope' game. Sit back, take all they have, then score on the break. And a masterclass in substitutions. Who's complaining what the starting line was? It worked.

The game changed massively when Huggel came on. Watters was far too light weight.
    Why has Morrison got this love in with Vaulkes, he should have been subbed at half time

But a great result

The subs were good but they were needed to rectify Morison's own mistake. Why didn't Uche start? Surely he can give you 45 now? Collins is in the stand. Our upturn in form has been based around getting it into Hugill's feet and playing from there, or counter attacking with Drameh. He expected Watters, who is a poacher, to do hold the ball up against three centre halves? Morison blaming Watters, a bloke so distraught he didn't go into the dressing room at half time, is a joke. Why does he have to stick the boot in?
    I don't know anything about what Morison said or didn't say, but Watters was absolutely awful. Didn't put in a challenge, tackle, chase back, where the other 9 outfield players were putting in a shift.

I don't know anything about what Morison said or didn't say, but Watters was absolutely awful. Didn't put in a challenge, tackle, chase back, where the other 9 outfield players were putting in a shift.
    I've posted what Morison said above. If you think that's good man management, I wouldn't like to work for you.

i have yet to see Watters have a good game for us (which made it all the stranger that he started) Hugill, Davies, Uche and Harris are all more effective.