+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Subs made a huge difference tonight

Re: Subs made a huge difference tonight

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I don't know anything about what Morison said or didn't say, but Watters was absolutely awful. Didn't put in a challenge, tackle, chase back, where the other 9 outfield players were putting in a shift.
    I agree, why is there an anti morrison vibe on here.
    It's not flower arranging it's professional football. The players have to harden up a bit .
    Morrison got the sub spot on, we could have been 2 0 down at half time.
    People should stop thinking players are precious souls

I don't know anything about what Morison said or didn't say, but Watters was absolutely awful. Didn't put in a challenge, tackle, chase back, where the other 9 outfield players were putting in a shift.
    No they weren't. The rest of them were rubbish too. It was a completely disjointed set up, and to single one player out like that is ridiculous. He was far from the worst of a bad bunch. The midfield was non existent, so hardly surprising Davies and Watters struggled to keep hold of it for long, with nobody anywhere near them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I've posted what Morison said above. If you think that's good man management, I wouldn't like to work for you.
    Oh Dear. The usual CCMB 'let's get personal' message board thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    I agree, why is there an anti morrison vibe on here.
    It's not flower arranging it's professional football. The players have to harden up a bit .
    Morrison got the sub spot on, we could have been 2 0 down at half time.
    People should stop thinking players are precious souls
    Because of Morison. Maybe if Morison would harden up a bit he wouldn't create these sort of controversies. Morison picked the wrong team. He got it right in the end, and that's great. Show a bit of humility, you're supposed to be pleased but alas, Steve doubles down.

Oh Dear. The usual CCMB 'let's get personal' message board thread.
    That's not personal. I'm not attacking you. I don't agree with Morison's man management. You seem to approve of what he said. I wouldn't want to play for Morison and if you think that is the best way to deal with young players, I wouldn't want to for you either.

I remember the days when we used to moan about the manager because we were losing all the time, playing appalling "football" and sliding towards relegation...

That's not personal. I'm not attacking you. I don't agree with Morison's man management. You seem to approve of what he said. I wouldn't want to play for Morison and if you think that is the best way to deal with young players, I wouldn't want to for you either.
    Seriously, do you actually read a post before replying to it ?" I don't know anything about what Morison said or didn't say.."

Seriously, do you actually read a post before replying to it ?" I don't know anything about what Morison said or didn't say.."
    I've posted what Morison said above. If you think that's good man management, I wouldn't like to work for you.
    Seriously, do you actually read a post before replying to it? I've posted it, read it and then form a response.

Oh, and that was personal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    i have yet to see Watters have a good game for us (which made it all the stranger that he started) Hugill, Davies, Uche and Harris are all more effective.
    I agree. Morison made a mistake with his starting line up. He corrected that mistake - in a brutal way.

The main thing is what he now says and does with Watters (which none of us will see) to either destroy his confidence or use the situation to improve Watters as a club forward.

Davies got slaughtered a few weeks back and has since become a mainstay - which is a credit to him but also a vindication of Morison. Morison has a style which could be counter-productive, but so far his 'tough love' seems to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Watters took it extremely well and was most professional about it - and credit to Pack for consoling him.
    Watters stayed sat in the stands on his own and didn't go in with the team at HT so not sure what you're basing this on.

Personally I've got no problem with the fact that he had to rest a bunch of players but not waiting the extra 9 minutes until half time to sub Watters was completely unnecessary and an absolute dick move. Although still harsh you could kind of understand it if a centre back was having an absolute shocker and making mistakes that were almost giving goals away but Watters a) is a striker and b) he wasn't having THAT bad a game, it's not his fault the midfield were having rings run round them.

He's doing an ok job but Morison consistently comes across as an incredibly unlikeable person. Yes I know he's not here to be liked but being that he's the figurehead for our club it is a shame

Morison has got us playing great football as we move away from the relegation area ,job well done .

Watters just doesn't push forward enough or run down the ball .

I've just got back and the general consensus from those I was with, and around at the game was Morison got it absolutely right. On Saturday we were leggy and looked a yard off the pace having had only 2 days between games, so it wasn't a surprise that he rested players with 10 games in 30 days ahead. It made sense to bring on Hugill for 40 minutes rather than have to bring him off after 50, and giving Ralls a rest was a bonus. King didn't do much, but didn't prove a disaster, and gave Doyle a breather too.

I thought Morison played the game very well. God knows why this guy gets so much stick on here..
    Agreed - he got it right in terms of taking watters off as he was garbage - Morison didn't just slag watters off he explained that he was expecting him to run the channels and make it difficult for the defenders and he certainly didn't do the latter - didn't expect him to be a hugill

Thought King was okay and he was stretching his calves just before he came off and Davies had worked his nuts off and timing was perfect

2-0 win with a couple of other good chances compared to one good chance for them

Clean sheet as well

Can't complain

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Morison has got us playing great football as we move away from the relegation area ,job well done .

Watters just doesn't push forward enough or run down the ball .
    We didn't play great football tonight.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

The game changed massively when Huggel came on. Watters was far too light weight.
    Why has Morrison got this love in with Vaulkes, he should have been subbed at half time

But a great result
    Vaulks assist for the 1st goal was sublime!

You called Morison a tosser. If thats not personal and totally unnecessary, I don't know what is. In case you haven't noticed, we now have 12 points out of the last 15 and are playing a totally different type of football to what went before. You group of Morison haters need to get over yourselves - you are just making yourselves look stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Watters stayed sat in the stands on his own and didn't go in with the team at HT so not sure what you're basing this on.

Personally I've got no problem with the fact that he had to rest a bunch of players but not waiting the extra 9 minutes until half time to sub Watters was completely unnecessary and an absolute dick move. Although still harsh you could kind of understand it if a centre back was having an absolute shocker and making mistakes that were almost giving goals away but Watters a) is a striker and b) he wasn't having THAT bad a game, it's not his fault the midfield were having rings run round them.

He's doing an ok job but Morison consistently comes across as an incredibly unlikeable person. Yes I know he's not here to be liked but being that he's the figurehead for our club it is a shame
    Well I like him.Its obvious he's a my way or the highway type of manager.It didn't do Davies any harm did it,quite the opposite.Theres been a culture by some fans calling for a new manager after a few indiferent results and this guy knows it.To me he's the ruthless kind of manager we've needed for a long time.If he gets his way we'll soon be plying our trade alot higher

Watters wasn't working for the team, he makes good runs and looked quite lively but out of possession is lazy (or maybe not fit enough).

The game changed massively when Huggel came on. Watters was far too light weight.
    Why has Morrison got this love in with Vaulkes, he should have been subbed at half time

But a great result
    I really don't know what game people are watching sometimes. Vaulks played well tonight and was in the team probably because Ralls and Doyle were being rested. Its a squad game, especially with 3 games in 7 days.

Completely wrong midfield set up to accommodate a striker like Watters, he was pointing out that he wanted the ball played through on the deck. Ok he should have put that header away but his hooked shot that hit the ‘keeper wasn’t a bad effort. Morison’s initial team selection was decidedly iffy and can anyone, hand on heart, say they thought it was a convincing set up pre match? Not a nice way to substitute a young player, half time was less than ten minutes away. Morison could have bollocked Watters privately if he hadn’t carried out his instructions and diplomatically carried the can publicly for his initial team selection especially as he could bask in the ‘master stroke’ changes resulting in a 2-0 win.

After our recent turnaround, Morison should be receiving 100% glowing reports from us, the fans, unfortunately through his own doing he’s dividing the fan base. Very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post

Thing is, being likeable is actually part of the job. He's a manager. He will need to recruit heavily in the summer, likely unproven players at this level. His stance of happily throwing youngsters under the bus is not exactly going to help.

I actually don't mind the substitution itself. I think he's a decent game manager and tactician, and i like that he's willing to do things like that if it is not working. But he isn't just a coach or a tactician any more, he is supposed to be a manager. You simply do not hang your players out to dry like he did tonight. It doesn't help the player, the squad, or the future recruitment drive. It's an ego-driven short-term decision thing that someone trying to prove a point does, not someone who is actually in control.

He was asked how the game went. He said something like "pretty well from the 37th minute". He couldn't even wait for the inevitable question about the substitution before sticking the boot in. And when asked about the substitution, he blamed Watters for not doing anything right and listed all the things he did wrong. Even said that Watters had come with a price tag. Why? The correct answer here is to say he wanted to make a tactical change and while he was really sorry about it blah blah blah, he felt that was the right time to do it. Or, if he had a pair, he'd say that he got the starting line up wrong (he did) and had asked Watters to play a role that he's not cut out for (he did) and while it's not Watters' fault, he had to correct it when it became apparent etc. The interviewer even gave him a chance to redeem himself and asked what they would to in order to restore his confidence, but he just wanked on about how great his coaching staff is. It's an utterly stupid way to deal with the player. He even said he wanted him to hurt. FFS Steve, he is obviously humiliated already. In the interview your job is to circle the wagons, give cliche answers and/or deflect the blame away from the lad. I hope Watters chins him in training. What a whopper.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    I really don't know what game people are watching sometimes. Vaulks played well tonight and was in the team probably because Ralls and Doyle were being rested. Its a squad game, especially with 3 games in 7 days.
    Sky gave Vaulks man of the match I think. I thought he had a good game.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Sky gave Vaulks man of the match I think. I thought he had a good game.
    Sky gave Vaulks man of the match. Seriously??

Bagan by a mile for me.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Completely wrong midfield set up to accommodate a striker like Watters, he was pointing out that he wanted the ball played through on the deck. Ok he should have put that header away but his hooked shot that hit the ‘keeper wasn’t a bad effort. Morison’s initial team selection was decidedly iffy and can anyone, hand on heart, say they thought it was a convincing set up pre match? Not a nice way to substitute a young player, half time was less than ten minutes away. Morison could have bollocked Watters privately if he hadn’t carried out his instructions and diplomatically carried the can publicly for his initial team selection especially as he could bask in the ‘master stroke’ changes resulting in a 2-0 win.

After our recent turnaround, Morison should be receiving 100% glowing reports from us, the fans, unfortunately through his own doing he’s dividing the fan base. Very sad.
    What is sad is that some fans are not backing a young, British track suited manager who is doing a good job. Any player would get the hump at being brought off after 37 minutes but it had to be done and worked. To leave the substitution until half time, just so as to not upset the player, is a stupid suggestion. We could have been one down by then or worse. Watters was not pressing enough and the ball was bouncing off him. I think there is a good player in there but he needs to modify the way he plays to suit the new system. If he cant, then it will be unfortunate but he will fall by the wayside here - thats the way football works.

There's a connection with players who morison doesn't believe work hard enough out of possession. reading between the lines that was why he slagged off Davies, that's why Watters was hooked, and i believe that work rate is his problem with Colwill.