+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Subs made a huge difference tonight

Re: Subs made a huge difference tonight

My other comment is that much as I try I cannot see what Eli King is bringing to the team.
    Maybe it's a case of easy, slowly with him, but I don't see much.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    I wonder what the view would have been had we gone behind in the first thirty minutes and ended up chasing the game against a team who could keep hold of the ball.
    Different, no doubt, but the defence and midfield did their job in the 1st 30 or so minutes. Coventry had a lot of the ball in and around our pelanty area, but I don't remember Smithies being troubled once, which was probably what Morison was hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Sky gave Vaulks man of the match. Seriously??

Bagan by a mile for me.
    it was bagan i think vaulks give him the award

I'm sick of Morison don't like his management style - I would be quite happy if the club shook his hand at the end of the season.
    also don't think Sol Bamba was impressed with him throwing Watters under the bus in his post match interview.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Years ago? He only arrived 18 months ago….
    I was reading a few old press reports a couple of days ago and it turns out that Neil Harris had given Joel Bagan his first team debut in February 2020 a week before Morison arrived. Tom Sang came on as a sub in the same game and Sam Bowen was on the bench.

The perception that Morison guided all of the youngsters through the youth system seems quite widespread, but it’s odd. Surely most people are aware that he’s only been at the club for two years?

An article I read from back when Morison initially joined the club was interesting. In it, Neil Harris revealed that he’d already insisted the young players trained with the first team before Morison had arrived as he wanted the transition to the senior squad to be easier for them.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I was reading a few old press reports a couple of days ago and it turns out that Neil Harris had given Joel Bagan his first team debut in February 2020 a week before Morison arrived. Tom Sang came on as a sub in the same game and Sam Bowen was on the bench.

The perception that Morison guided all of the youngsters through the youth system seems quite widespread, but it’s odd. Surely most people are aware that he’s only been at the club for two years?

An article I read from back when Morison initially joined the club was interesting. In it, Neil Harris revealed that he’d already insisted the young players trained with the first team before Morison had arrived as he wanted the transition to the senior squad to be easier for them.
    Morison needs to stick to commentating on City TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    My other comment is that much as I try I cannot see what Eli King is bringing to the team.
    Maybe it's a case of easy, slowly with him, but I don't see much.
    He is young and only played a few games - I'd like to see more before passing judgement, but he certainly hasn't disgraced himself so far so I'm hopeful.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    I'm sick of Morison don't like his management style - I would be quite happy if the club shook his hand at the end of the season.
    also don't think Sol Bamba was impressed with him throwing Watters under the bus in his post match interview.
    Watters was underperforming.
    I think the team Morison picked was one to contain the opposition for as long as possible and try hit them on the break, with options on the bench.
    When in one of the few times Watters did make a decent run, he was unlucky that the ball hit the keeper's forehead. If that goes in it might have been a different outcome for the lad but, prior to that, he was static, on his heels and missed two really good opportunities to score.

On the few occasions we did move the ball forward to him, the ball was coming straight back.
    It could be argued that our midfield were underperforming also but when Hugill came on, we looked a lot more balanced.

IMHO, Morison made the right call as if Coventry had scored first then we have to chase the game and a completely different story unfolds.

There is no place for sentiment, especially when you are in a relegation battle and you are looking to earn a new contract.
    Morison will be judged on one thing... results, good or bad and come the day of reckoning, how those results came about will largely be irrelevant.
    Up to now, Morison is doing what was asked of him.

Regarding Watters, I wouldn't be too despondent if I were him.
    It is a step up but he will get his chance again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Morison needs to stick to commentating on City TV.
    I’m pretty certain he’s going to get the job on a permanent basis. Should be entertaining as he certainly polarises opinion. One thing’s for sure - nobody rates Steve Morison quite as highly as Steve Morison does.

I’m pretty certain he’s going to get the job on a permanent basis. Should be entertaining as he certainly polarises opinion. One thing’s for sure - nobody rates Steve Morison quite as highly as Steve Morison does.
    100%

I don't think that how quick he is to hammer others publicly would be so jarring if he didn't give the impression that he thinks he's infallible

I got the impression that Watters was hooked because he was not following the instructions that he had been given, i.e. closing down the goalkeeper. Witness Hugill doing exactly that when he came on.

Similar to Isaac Davies' substitution a few weeks ago.

Do what your told or get taken off, seems to be the edict. Since it's the Manager's job on the line it doesn't seem that unreasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I think the team Morison picked was one to contain the opposition for as long as possible and try hit them on the break, with options on the bench.
    When in one of the few times Watters did make a decent run, he was unlucky that the ball hit the keeper's forehead. If that goes in it might have been a different outcome for the lad but, prior to that, he was static, on his heels and missed two really good opportunities to score.

On the few occasions we did move the ball forward to him, the ball was coming straight back.
    It could be argued that our midfield were underperforming also but when Hugill came on, we looked a lot more balanced.

IMHO, Morison made the right call as if Coventry had scored first then we have to chase the game and a completely different story unfolds.

There is no place for sentiment, especially when you are in a relegation battle and you are looking to earn a new contract.
    Morison will be judged on one thing... results, good or bad and come the day of reckoning, how those results came about will largely be irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    I wonder what the view would have been had we gone behind in the first thirty minutes and ended up chasing the game against a team who could keep hold of the ball.
    But we hadn’t gone a goal down, that wasn’t the situation in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    That's CCMB for you - Curmudgeon Central Message Board

Difference of opinion is what makes this board interesting but a few posters obviously can't stand Morison that's okay but some do and that's okay

I've listened to the full press conference on City TV and don't see anything wrong with what he said - he didn't bring it up the Media did and he gave an honest answer - let's see what happens next

For me watters does need to add physicality to his game - I said recently at a home game I was surprised how strong and combative Davies is for quite a small guy but if even if he isn't going to win the ball he makes a nuisance of himself but watters doesn't compete and he doesn't press when he could and he has to for this style of play to work

Hopefully this works as like others I think there's a real goal scorer in there but he needs a wider game than just that
    Quite.

I don't understand why people seem to think that it is unacceptable to post anything other than positive, happy-clappy content after a win (or any time for that matter). Context and perspective make (some of!) this board enjoyable.

It really is OK to disagree with someone's views.

I'm really happy with the recent wins and some of the football has been very encouraging, especially from the loanees and youngsters but that doesn't mean that everything is 'really great!' and the club is trouble free without further room for improvement. Morison has improved the team and results and yet may polarise public opinion based on his public utterances. That is OK too.

We seem to be on a short term upward curve which we all appreciate - let's hope that it continues and that some sort of perspective here is maintained.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    100%. I don't think that how quick he is to hammer others publicly would be so jarring if he didn't give the impression that he thinks he's infallible
    He keeps telling us he’s what he describes as a ‘black and white’ sort of a guy. I think that’s how it’ll be with the fan base. Some will love him because they believe he tells it how it is. Others will hate him because they think he’s a prick. Fun times ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I agree. Morison made a mistake with his starting line up. He corrected that mistake - in a brutal way.

The main thing is what he now says and does with Watters (which none of us will see) to either destroy his confidence or use the situation to improve Watters as a club forward.

Davies got slaughtered a few weeks back and has since become a mainstay - which is a credit to him but also a vindication of Morison. Morison has a style which could be counter-productive, but so far his 'tough love' seems to work.
    Not all footballers respond positively to "tough love". If he picks on the wrong player, it could lead to factions of a pro-Morison and anti Morison group within the dressing room. I'd tread very carefully if I was him. I noticed the way Wenger always sought to protect his players, and was never critical of them in post match interviews, not that I saw every one mind. Which to my way of thinking is a far more positive way of dealing with things i.e deal with them "in house".

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post

Contain the opposition. We were playing Coventry at home not Fulham away ffs

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    I think hes a first class prick. Typical Millwall no-one likes us, we dont care attitude.

But, hes getting results, albeit the football isnt that great Peterborough aside, so Im with TLG I think he is a shoe-in to get to the job beyond the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Quite.

I don't understand why people seem to think that it is unacceptable to post anything other than positive, happy-clappy content after a win (or any time for that matter). Context and perspective make (some of!) this board enjoyable.

It really is OK to disagree with someone's views.

I'm really happy with the recent wins and some of the football has been very encouraging, especially from the loanees and youngsters but that doesn't mean that everything is 'really great!' and the club is trouble free without further room for improvement. Morison has improved the team and results and yet may polarise public opinion based on his public utterances. That is OK too.

We seem to be on a short term upward curve which we all appreciate - let's hope that it continues and that some sort of perspective here is maintained.

He keeps telling us he’s what he describes as a ‘black and white’ sort of a guy. I think that’s how it’ll be with the fan base. Some will love him because they believe he tells it how it is. Others will hate him because they think he’s a prick. Fun times ahead.
    He’s guaranteed to get it now, I think. I don’t think I’ve ever disliked a manager as much as him. Others have been worse but he’s so unlikeable. Morison is very quick to praise himself, and very quick to blame others. The “black and white” thing is funny too, because it’s never his fault.

Football isn’t good either. Nearly every goal is a break or a set piece. The football has just been so shit it looks like an improvement. Our last 4 wins we’ve had 35%, 32%, 38% and 32% possession. Total football. Not that there’s anything wrong with that but the fact he’s “totally changed the style of play” is utter bollocks. It’s still get it into the big man and play off him.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He’s guaranteed to get it now, I think. I don’t think I’ve ever disliked a manager as much as him. Others have been worse but he’s so unlikeable. Morison is very quick to praise himself, and very quick to blame others. The “black and white” thing is funny too, because it’s never his fault.

Football isn’t good either. Nearly every goal is a break or a set piece. The football has just been so shit it looks like an improvement. Our last 4 wins we’ve had 35%, 32%, 38% and 32% possession. Total football. Not that there’s anything wrong with that but the fact he’s “totally changed the style of play” is utter bollocks. It’s still get it into the big man and play off him.
    I can see why people wouldn't like Morison and he could do with learning about how to be humble, but it doesn't bother me as much as others (maybe because we are winning!) I hope that he realises that he is also learning about the job as well, and is prepared to embrace changes as his experience grows.

Whereas we are not Man City (yet!) he does deserve some credit for the change in style and improvement in results under tricky circumstances, but the bar was pretty low. He also still has a long way to go.

Danny Gabbidon on the Elis James Podcast some time back was very very clear that the rise of the youth to the 1st team was nothing to do with Steve Morrison.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Sure as night follows day, he's said Watters wasn't good enough. It was Morison's fault, not Watters. He's an absolute tosser.
    I find it staggering that people are so negative about Morison. He has just earned 4 wins our of 5 and 3 straight wins at home. He doesn't talk in platitudes and it appears that Izaak has only responded positively to his early withdrawal against Bournemouth. Some people just need something to complain about.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Blue View Post
    I find it staggering that people are so negative about Morison. He has just earned 4 wins our of 5 and 3 straight wins at home. He doesn't talk in platitudes and it appears that Izaak has only responded positively to his early withdrawal against Bournemouth. Some people just need something to complain about.
    I think it’s staggering so many people are leaping to his defence. He’s done fine. We’re averaging 1.4 points a game. Before this run, he was averaging 1 point a game. He’s made mistakes and yet it’s always someone else’s fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Not all footballers respond positively to "tough love". If he picks on the wrong player, it could lead to factions of a pro-Morison and anti Morison group within the dressing room. I'd tread very carefully if I was him. I noticed the way Wenger always sought to protect his players, and was never critical of them in post match interviews, not that I saw every one mind. Which to my way of thinking is a far more positive way of dealing with things i.e deal with them "in house".
    I agree with most of that. Morison's approach is risky but a string of first team players have answered press questions about it (Harris, Collins, Ralls and others) and all have said they want the manager to be straight with them and not sugar coat any criticism.

That doesn't mean it has to be done in such a brutal way in front of the cameras. A bit of humility and some self criticism would help - and that doesn't have to undermine the self confidence and vision that Morison is projecting. He is learning on the job and making some mistakes. Maybe his personality and character will prove to be wrong for the job, but so far I think he has got more ticks than crosses on his scoresheet. Some hate him, a few love him, but my reading of this board is that a lot of fans are still reserving judgement.

I also agree with the points made above about Morison investing in the younger players in a way that he doesn't with the older ones near the end of their contracts - the ones that have been more culpable for poor performances than the u23 graduates.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Blue View Post
    I find it staggering that people are so negative about Morison.
    Staggering? I think you’re exaggerating again.

It’s been obvious from very early on (or at least it should have been) that Morison is a manager who is going to polarise opinion. The way he conducts himself with the media is unusual to say the least. Some will like his style, others will take exception to it. Surely you can see that?