+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Subs made a huge difference tonight

Re: Subs made a huge difference tonight

Quote Originally Posted by 198bore View Post
    It was glaringly obvious that front pairing wouldn't work. If he wanted to rest Hugill then Uche or Collins should have started with Davies, not Max. He was set up to fail in that system without any creativity in midfield to supplement his game. All Morison had to say after the game was that HE got it wrong, but instead he sold the young lad down the river.
    Speaking of Pep

It was glaringly obvious that front pairing wouldn't work. If he wanted to rest Hugill then Uche or Collins should have started with Davies, not Max. He was set up to fail in that system without any creativity in midfield to supplement his game. All Morison had to say after the game was that HE got it wrong, but instead he sold the young lad down the river.
    I think that would have been a much better answer and endeared him to the fans and players alike (he could have bollocked Watters in private), not that he seems to care, but this ongoing trait is something that could come back to haunt him.

That said, I’m really not that fussed as long as we are improving and winning!

Exactly.

Either Watters adapts his game to what the manager is asking him to do, or he goes back to League 1.

I don't get why people are so shocked at this. Morison isn't asking him to be Didier Drogba. He's asking him to protect the ball better and compete more. He wasn't doing that last night and the team was suffering as a result. He's been a passenger in the last 3 games and he needs the penny to drop.

I hope that it does, because if he adds that to the movement and finishing ability he already has, he'll do well at this level.

Whether it was the managers fault or not, he identified and addressed the issue quickly for the benefit of the team. If rather that than MM's 85th minute subs when the game is already gone.

Totally agree because it's obvious that starting line up was poor. I think Steve got a get out of jail card last night so I hope he buys Bagan and Harris a pint each.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I think that would have been a much better answer and endeared him to the fans and players alike (he could have bollocked Watters in private), not that he seems to care, but this ongoing trait is something that could come back to haunt him.

That said, I’m really not that fussed as long as we are improving and winning!
    He's not the first and he certainly won't be the last manager that has a snipe at his players in public. I know Thomas Tuchel did it as soon as he took over at Chelsea but hey ho his team won the Champions League. I'm pretty sure Cloughie too wasn't always complimentary about his players and he didn't have a bad CV either.

Yes we all would like a manager we could warm to who produced teams playing good and successful football but in truth most would forgo likeability for sustained success on the pitch. Remember, it's not a popularity contest and his abrasiveness or straight talking only becomes a problem if he loses the dressing room but there is no sign of that happening just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Did he?!

I need to find that - are you able to expand on what Gabbs said?
    It was a passing comment along the lines...we need to be careful who we give credit to for the young players coming through, it certainly wasn't Morison that created that path...he mentioned Mick McCarthy as the one insisting they get the opportunity.

I commented on it previously around the time as i thought it was interesting. Not sure what Gabbs does but i know he works with some of the young players.

I'll check my post history

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    It was a passing comment along the lines...we need to be careful who we give credit to for the young players coming through, it certainly wasn't Morison that created that path...he mentioned Mick McCarthy as the one insisting they get the opportunity.

I commented on it previously around the time as i thought it was interesting. Not sure what Gabbs does but i know he works with some of the young players.

I know he acts as a mentor to Isaak Davies, hes mentioned it on the podcasts. Might even be his agent.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    He might be, but I think the situation’s a bit different with Morison. Generally, the polarisation tends to happen as a result of styles of play, tactics, team selections, results, etc. In Morison’s case it’s much more about his personality and his demeanour.
    Good point re is it results or personality driven but I would say Dave Jones, Russel Slade, Mick Mccarthy and Warnock all had assassins of their character personality and behaviours at some point during their time as manager - mainly through social media and the two main messageboards?

It is going to be interesting to see how this plot develops especially if he is appointed on a permanent basis

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    He's not the first and he certainly won't be the last manager that has a snipe at his players in public. I know Thomas Tuchel did it as soon as he took over at Chelsea but hey ho his team won the Champions League. I'm pretty sure Cloughie too wasn't always complimentary about his players and he didn't have a bad CV either.

Yes we all would like a manager we could warm to who produced teams playing good and successful football but in truth most would forgo likeability for sustained success on the pitch. Remember, it's not a popularity contest and his abrasiveness or straight talking only becomes a problem if he loses the dressing room but there is no sign of that happening just yet.

Agreed. But if there is a sure fire way of losing a dressing room it is.......by slagging off players in public!

That said, let's hope that Morison becomes our Tuchel or ever better Clough!

I certainly don't agree with what Morison has said publicly about Watters and i think that he should have waited until half time to make the change unless we were under real pressure because of what Watters wasn't doing (didn't see the game) But, if Watters was given a remit by Morison and he didn't carry that out, then i have no problem with the substitution. If the coaching staff have been working with Watters in order to make him stronger on the ball, in order to pin defenders and allow players to make runs and get around him, then he goes out there and does none of that then in my opinion, Morison has every right to be pissed off. Never mind this stuff about it not being part of his game etc, it has to be if he plays for us, rightly or wrongly.

As for Morisons comments, I really don't know what he is thinking when he decides to be that openly honest about a player who quite obviously isn't getting it or is incapable of doing it. You would have thought that Morison had identified Watters strengths and weaknesses but might have thought that he had seen enough in training to think that watters could hold the ball up and buy some time. Morrison said after a recent goal by Watters that he didn't do much else or words to that affect, so maybe his comments weren't that much of a surprise. The only positive for watters is that morison didn't say that he is incapable of playing in the fashion that he wants him to.

I really don't know what to think of it all. Morison has a contract until May. He isn't going the safe route, he is making noise. Does he have that much confidence and self belief in his methods that he thinks it ok to call out a player in the way that he did? I think that he does. Although is there an element of 'Delusions Of Grandeur' within Morisons character? For someone so new in the managerial game it does make you wonder what he is thinking. I don't think that i have ever heard a manager talk like that about his players in public.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I certainly don't agree with what Morison has said publicly about Watters and i think that he should have waited until half time to make the change unless we were under real pressure because of what Watters wasn't doing (didn't see the game) But, if Watters was given a remit by Morison and he didn't carry that out, then i have no problem with the substitution. If the coaching staff have been working with Watters in order to make him stronger on the ball, in order to pin defenders and allow players to make runs and get around him, then he goes out there and does none of that then in my opinion, Morison has every right to be pissed off. Never mind this stuff about it not being part of his game etc, it has to be if he plays for us, rightly or wrongly.

As for Morisons comments, I really don't know what he is thinking when he decides to be that openly honest about a player who quite obviously isn't getting it or is incapable of doing it. You would have thought that Morison had identified Watters strengths and weaknesses but might have thought that he had seen enough in training to think that watters could hold the ball up and buy some time. Morrison said after a recent goal by Watters that he didn't do much else or words to that affect, so maybe his comments weren't that much of a surprise. The only positive for watters is that morison didn't say that he is incapable of playing in the fashion that he wants him to.

I really don't know what to think of it all. Morison has a contract until May. He isn't going the safe route, he is making noise. Does he have that much confidence and self belief in his methods that he thinks it ok to call out a player in the way that he did? I think that he does. Although is there an element of 'Delusions Of Grandeur' within Morisons character? For someone so new in the managerial game it does make you wonder what he is thinking. I don't think that i have ever heard a manager talk like that about his players in public.
    He's not going to win a popularity contest that's for sure but since the end of the transfer window he's walked the walk so no complaints here, regardless of his public utterances.

it's clear that he purposely did it just to make a point.

Otherwise he would have hooked him off at half time and it would have been chalked off as, wrong formation not working. Instead it's pinned the blame solely on the players effort. It takes away some of the critisism of SM and is causing waves.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    I would suggest that all you people criticising Morison should read this report in WOL after the game and actually read what he says, rather than making up your own commentary and jumping on the bandwagon.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...rdiff-23110932

Nothing to see there as far as I am concerned. Critical but balanced and encouraging of the player.
    Also gives good reasons why he choose the starting line up,
    He's doing very well for us and long may it continue.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    it's clear that he purposely did it just to make a point.

Otherwise he would have hooked him off at half time and it would have been chalked off as, wrong formation not working. Instead it's pinned the blame solely on the players effort. It takes away some of the critisism of SM and is causing waves.
    I don't believe that he thinks that he is to blame in any of this. I think that he told Watters to hold the ball up, be a presence etc, and he didn't do it, it's as simple as that in my opinion. I can see his point to a certain degree. Watters is a Striker playing in the championship, for Cardiff City. If he had pulled Davies after 37 minutes for not holding the ball up etc, then i think that i'd still be laughing now. I don't think that Morison was asking for too much, the way he verbalised it was shocking.

Whenever I'm watching City at home, or on a stream when they're away, I invariably don't recognize 3 or 4 of the team - not counting those who joined in this 'window'. I think any manger who gives game time to so many untried and young players whilst pulling the side well away from the threat of relegation, is doing fine by me. I don't think Morison's comments warrant some of the over-reaction on here. That's his style, the players know it, and seem to be playing for him.

He said he didn’t want him to be Jordan Hugill but we smashed the ball to him like Jordan Hugill. He said his thinking was Watters running in behind but we didn’t play that way. The one time we did he brought a great save out of the keeper!!

The Watters / Davies pairing was doomed to fail,
    especially the direct way we played last night. This become quickly apparent and I think he did it to deflect the flack. Luckily for him we got the 3 points but I’d say it was more luck than judgement after that initial starting XI.

He should have shouldered some of the blame for getting it wrong initially but his arrogance wouldn’t allow it. Instead he choose to double down and go at Watters again in the post match interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Sure as night follows day, he's said Watters wasn't good enough. It was Morison's fault, not Watters. He's an absolute tosser.
    Malky and Warnock were tossers and McCarthy not far behind so get over it. Atleast Morison says it straight and not just what the delicate section of fans want to hear

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    https://www.teamtalk.com/leeds-unite...-steve-morison

“Some of the stuff you see on the pitch from me is definitely from Marcelo Bielsa and his coaching staff,” he told the club’s programme, as cited by the Yorkshire Evening Post.

“Their feedback was for me to be more aggressive and play on the front foot and I think the manager here has brought the best out of me since I’ve been here. His desire to get me in was the main reason that I came here.

“As a player, you always want to feel wanted and it seemed like the perfect place for me to come and play. The emphasis has been on being positive and wanting to attack and he’s filled me with a lot of confidence to go and express myself.”
    Ta

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Malky and Warnock were tossers and McCarthy not far behind so get over it. Atleast Morison says it straight and not just what the delicate section of fans want to hear
    So it’s ok for you to think malky, Colin and Mick were tossers but just because you like Morison anyone who thinks he’s a tosser should just “get over it”?

"the delicate section of fans" says the guy upset by people criticising the manager

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    He said he didn’t want him to be Jordan Hugill but we smashed the ball to him like Jordan Hugill. He said his thinking was Watters running in behind but we didn’t play that way. The one time we did he brought a great save out of the keeper!!

The Watters / Davies pairing was doomed to fail,
    especially the direct way we played last night. This become quickly apparent and I think he did it to deflect the flack. Luckily for him we got the 3 points but I’d say it was more luck than judgement after that initial starting XI.

He should have shouldered some of the blame for getting it wrong initially but his arrogance wouldn’t allow it. Instead he choose to double down and go at Watters again in the post match interview.
    I didn't see the game and i read what Morison said and you are right. What i did pick up was that he may be wanted Watters to work harder without the ball, or at least be a presence when contesting the ball. I'm guessing that he didn't do that? I don't think that Morison was trying to deflect, i don't believe that he thinks that he has done anything wrong. I really believe that is part of his character.

Saying it straight doesn't mean that a person is right, Stan.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    So it’s ok for you to think malky, Colin and Mick were tossers but just because you like Morison anyone who thinks he’s a tosser should just “get over it”?
    I don't like him has a person but he's doing a good job as our manager that's good enough for me.
    You haven't liked him since he spoke out about Davies but Davies and Co have moved on

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post

Thanks - that is interesting and yes Gabbs is some sort of mentor to Davies, I think.