+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Uche

Re: Uche

Having been eating humble pie about Ikpeazu after his earlier contributions, what he did yesterday was a highlights reel of why I was so unenthusiastic about his signing - to be fair mind, there were still good things in with all of the poor control, the wrong options taken, the downright greediness and the grappling with his opposite number which, to me at least, has no place on a football pitch because it’s straight out a wrestling ring.

Yesterday, Ikpeazu was the player I feared he’d be with nearly every ball played up to him prompting the sort of farcical scenes we see at every corner and attacking free kick these days. You could understand why some managers decide that he is just not for them and you can fully understand why Warnock signed him. I thought we were trying to move away from what Ikpeazu represents, but it seems I got that wrong.

Moore and Hugill are big target men of the kind it seems is compulsory in a Cardiff City team, but they’re both footballers as well, our manager was as well, Gary Madine is as well, but, although he has his uses, I’m not sure Ikpeazu is.

I think I'm slightly in between the two levels of hysteria on Uche. Yesterday I thought he could have done with coming on a bit earlier or in hindsight maybe starting, as Hugill got precious little change out of their centre backs who were very big and physical. His touch isn't great but he did seem to rattle their defenders and win a few free kicks.

On the flip side, if Warnock was in charge he's the sort of player that would play week in week out and get maybe 5 goals in season and I certainly wouldn't a return to that style of football. On balance though I think he's a good option to have to occasionally start or come on against very physical teams.

A couple of thoughts on him.

Yesterday he was poor. I have no idea why WOL gave him a 7. Twice he could have put in players in better positions and chose the wrong options.

However, I slightly put that down to the fact he hasn't been playing much and is too eager to make an impact and just made the wrong options - it took him too long to get to grips with the game. I think he should have come on earlier yesterday, I think the game was crying out for his power and physicality and in my opinion Hugill was becoming jaded from around the 60th minute. Uche should have been on around then and I think he would have made more of an impact.

I do think he can do a good job for us in certain games.

In terms of the overall situation of Uche in Cardiff... I would be gutted if we signed him as our main striker. But I wouldn't object if we signed him as an impact sub or for certain physical games.

I wondered why he didn't start on Tuesday rather than Watters . He has only been a bit part sub so far. Since he has been here he must have played a total 60 mins at most.

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    Since he has been here he must have played a total 60 mins at most.
    In fact, he's played a total of 96 minutes so far.

He’s a handful and as a defender you wouldn’t fancy him coming on with 20 to go after you’ve been battling with Hugill all game.

But I thought everyone accepted he is really poor? That’s not even a dig really but from his first game at the CCS it has the Eddie Johnson feel too it, people singing his name constantly, a few people laughing every time he brought it down or gave it away.

We’re safe now so it’s all pretty harmless giving him 20 mins and I think every person is behind him doing something great but his goals record makes sense when you look at yesterday’s performance.

We won’t sign him and I’d be surprised if anyone would want us too but he gives his all so I hope he does well wherever he ends up and I hope we get to celebrate a few more goals from him this season.

Think he got a bit carried away yesterday but even the fans seemed to be frustrated a bit by the end after cheering every touch for the previous 20.

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post
    The old pedant strikes again! Statistically of course you are correct.
    This much I knew already. I made no comments as regards Ikpeazu's abilities or lack of them. I merely stated a fact.

I'm glad you had a lovely day, though.

He looked like a fan who’d won the ‘Be A Player For The Day’ raffle yesterday. Strange how when he had the ball at his feet he backed so far back into the defender, leaving the ball where it was so when he attempted to lay it off it became a useless toe poke because he was too far away from the ball. Mark Harris looked a footballer when he came on, Uche was, unfortunately, a frustrating hindrance, I’d have been annoyed playing alongside him. Made me laugh one time though when he was up and running away before he was even fouled, how did he do that?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    He looked like a fan who’d won the ‘Be A Player For The Day’ raffle yesterday. Strange how when he had the ball at his feet he backed so far back into the defender, leaving the ball where it was so when he attempted to lay it off it became a useless toe poke because he was too far away from the ball. Mark Harris looked a footballer when he came on, Uche was, unfortunately, a frustrating hindrance, I’d have been annoyed playing alongside him. Made me laugh one time though when he was up and running away before he was even fouled, how did he do that?

...and that was the tackle I was on about. It was in one movement. Never seen anything like it.

You've described his performance yesterday beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Blue View Post
    **** me. Some people just can't moaning. He strengths and weaknesses. But he is not shit FFS
    I'd say this dramatic little mini meltdown is a better example of moaning than me saying a player is a bit shit on a Cardiff City messageboard

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I'd say this dramatic little mini meltdown is a better example of moaning than me saying a player is a bit shit on a Cardiff City messageboard
    I can't believe how precious some people being at the suggestion that journeyman striker Uche Ikpeazu isn't very good

I honestly thought we all accepted he's not great and that's part of his charm? Do people actually rate the guy as a footballer?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I can't believe how precious some people being at the suggestion that journeyman striker Uche Ikpeazu isn't very good

I honestly thought we all accepted he's not great and that's part of his charm? Do people actually rate the guy as a footballer?
    Honestly, you'd think I started a petition to get him out of the club or organized a mass booing every time he warms up. Some very sensitive souls on here

Honestly, you'd think I started a petition to get him out of the club or organized a mass booing every time he warms up. Some very sensitive souls on here
    I enjoyed the thread last night when I went on a mad reply spree. The fella keeping scores on who disagreed with you was my favourite contributee.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I enjoyed the thread last night when I went on a mad reply spree. The fella keeping scores on who disagreed with you was my favourite contributee.
    Agreed, I liked the bit where he called me a hypocrite for not rating Uche but still supporting him, although he's going to lose it when he finds out where I think we rank in the the greatest team in football the world has ever seen list

Agreed, I liked the bit where he called me a hypocrite for not rating Uche but still supporting him, although he's going to lose it when he finds out where I think we rank in the the greatest team in football the world has ever seen list

What a post

He is really a league one or even league two striker who would look good at that level. He is suffering from playing at least one or two levels above his natural ability and it shows. it’s called Omar Bogle syndrome. Warnock stupidly overpaid for him presumably on the basis of having the option of having a big lump up front but he doesn’t hack it at this level. Useful for bringing on for the last twenty minutes if you are lumping the ball into the box but not in the long term. Would rather pay a bit of money for Hugill who is a much more rounded player.

How dare you burst my f*cking bubble, don’t forget I know where you live

Let’s be fair, he backed in to defenders so much it’s a wonder a couple haven’t been arrested for attempted buggery.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    How dare you burst my f*cking bubble, don’t forget I know where you live
    I TAKE IT BACK

I TAKE IT BACK
    Wimp

The fella has scored two goals in maybe four bit part appearances he's been an important part of the squad that's slowly moving away from relegation.
    He won't dazzle fans with his flair but what he will do is come on the last twenty minutes or so and battle for the team and make space for others.
    I'm not comparing quality of the two players but what i liked about him yesterday was he fouled a few times but got straight up and went about his business knowing time was running out unlike Moore who would have stayed sitting down wasting our own time.
    He may nick the odd goal here and there and although we seem to be moving towards a more footballing type side i think we still need his type of player in the squad.

I TAKE IT BACK
    Your lucky

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Then by that rationale, we can only sign players who aren't very good?
    Pretty much. Very good players like to sign for very good teams. I'm sure Morison would sign Doyle and Drameh in a heartbeat. But he won't because he can't.

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    The fella has scored two goals in maybe four bit part appearances he's been an important part of the squad that's slowly moving away from relegation.
    He won't dazzle fans with his flair but what he will do is come on the last twenty minutes or so and battle for the team and make space for others.
    I'm not comparing quality of the two players but what i liked about him yesterday was he fouled a few times but got straight up and went about his business knowing time was running out unlike Moore who would have stayed sitting down wasting our own time.
    He may nick the odd goal here and there and although we seem to be moving towards a more footballing type side i think we still need his type of player in the squad.
    His problem yesterday was that he didn’t make space or bring others into play, the times he attempted to pass to a teammate he sold them short with poor balls that were easily intercepted.